The End of my Addiction
Admin2

Meds Can Help But Many Doctors Don't Know That

Admin2

"If you tell your doctor you'd like to stop drinking, odds are he's not going to give you a pill. That's too bad, a study says, because there are medications that can help people with drinking problems get off the sauce.

And they're not going to make you sick like Antabuse, a medication used for decades to treat alcoholics that makes them wretchedly ill if they drink.

Instead, these are drugs that address the brain chemistry that gets messed up by alcohol. In an analysis of 122 randomized controlled trials, both acamprosate and naltrexone helped people either quit drinking or cut back substantially."

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/05/13/312152578/meds-can-help-problem-drinkers-but-many-doctors-dont-know-that?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20140513

Chuck

Absolutely true. And another thing with Antabuse - because it's short-acting and the user knows it will cause such awful effects - if the user's desire to drink is still strong, he/she can simply not take it. I heard from my father how his sister (my aunt) would constantly fight with her ex-husband about his refusal to take his Antabuse.

• Like 1

Baclofenman
On 20/07/2016 at 0:03 AM, Chuck said:

Absolutely true. And another thing with Antabuse - because it's short-acting and the user knows it will cause such awful effects - if the user's desire to drink is still strong, he/she can simply not take it. I heard from my father how his sister (my aunt) would constantly fight with her ex-husband about his refusal to take his Antabuse.

Hi Chuck

Yes - I have always wondered about this - I mean an alcoholic will do anything for a drink? - I have never tried it but I would expect without some anti craving help, the thought of being violently sick if I drink would only lead to one choice - Not to take the tablet....

Just Sayin'

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

Ne1

I've been prescribed antabuse twice. Both times WAY back in the day. But the first time, I took the pill, and then 3 hours later I called the clinic and asked the nurse how long I had to wait before I could drink again. She kept avoiding the answer, and just lectured on and on about how I wasn't supposed to drink and couldn't and etc. (This was before Google, y'all. I'm old.) 

So that night, I tried drinking. The stuff works. I was violently ill. Headache, extreme nausea…I don't remember the specifics but I do remember the feeling. Needless to say, I've never taken it again. 

• Like 1