TimberTim

Just another alky.

TimberTim

Answer this phrase and I'll tell you my story:

Sheep go to heaven...

Reggie

And goats go to hell ....I love that song

Fantastic Tim!

Cake- Sheep go to heaven goats go to hell (with lyrics)

You will need register or log in to read this content

Ne1
12 hours ago, Reggie said:

And goats go to hell ....I love that song

Fantastic Tim!

Cake- Sheep go to heaven goats go to hell (with lyrics)

You will need register or log in to read this content

Oh, you guys are fancy! lol

So you going to tell your story, Tim??? 

How about you, Reggie? 

• Like 1

TimberTim

Good Reggie! I'm a Cake fan myself, clearly!

I didn't grow up in a drinking family. My folks never had any in the house. However, my grandfather always traveled with his half gallon of vodka! So, I probably inherited some genetic alcoholism. On the other hand, maybe learned to drink to excess. I learned from my friends in high school, and we would drink to get drunk. That really hasn't changed in 35 years.

I did try abstenence for 6 years. But, at least twice a year I would go on a bender for a couple of days. Not good!! And it was always a struggle. The white knuckle method...

About 4 years ago I found out about baclofen and naltrexone. I did the whole titrating up to 300mg where I reached indifference. It was very difficult to do that, and I won't do it again. The side effects where really brutal.

About a year ago I stopped taking baclofen, and you can guess what happened. My consumption got much worse. So, I decided to try naltrexone. Just one pill per day, no side effects...what could be better? I took the naltrexone for about 8 months, but I didn't think it was working. So I stopped taking it. And...my drinking got worse. In retrospect, it was working as I was able to consume more moderate levels of alcohol (beer, in my case).

No I take both baclofen and naltrexone. My goal is not to abstain, but to moderate my consumption. I only take 80 to 100mg/day of baclofen and 50mg/day of naltrexone. The baclofen works because, honestly, after 3-4 beers I am ready for a nap! When I wake up, I'm done drinking for the day!! I don't have any desire, until the next day.

So, what do you think? Am I a success or a fool?

• Like 2

Lostinspace

You're a success, Tim. We each define our own goals for ourselves. Not everyone wants abstinence (I'm not 100% abstinent myself, although I am nearly so). I would say that going from drinking way too much to drinking just three or four beers a day is a HUGE success!

• Like 3

Ne1
On 3/29/2016 at 4:31 PM, TimberTim said:

No I take both baclofen and naltrexone. My goal is not to abstain, but to moderate my consumption. I only take 80 to 100mg/day of baclofen and 50mg/day of naltrexone. The baclofen works because, honestly, after 3-4 beers I am ready for a nap! When I wake up, I'm done drinking for the day!! I don't have any desire, until the next day.

So, what do you think? Am I a success or a fool?

Clearly a success, Tim, if that's how you feel about it.

You've clearly run the gamut of all kinds of experiences with how much and when and what the effects of drinking (and over-drinking) are. It seems to me that you would know better than any of us, not only whether or not your current experience is a "success" but also what to do about it if you don't think it is...Or if something changes and you start to feel differently.

When you do drink, is it normally during the day and then you nap? Are you still bingeing occasionally? 

Are you taking naltrexone via The Sinclair Method or taking one pill every day regardless of whether or not you drink?

I recently added naltrexone for a little while. I started with 25mg (a half dose). It makes me very nauseous, to the point where I would actually vomit on some days. I finally bought a pill cutter and then started taking 12.5mg. I stopped getting sick from it and even that little bit made a big difference in how much I drank! 

Sorry for all the questions! I'm not trying to grill you. lol. Just curious, especially since you have been at this for a long time and were one of the baclofen pioneers...

:hug:Tim. Very nice to see you here!