The End of my Addiction
Mentium

Secularism and addiction. Interesting link.

time2quit

Love Love Love this!  I'd go to AA for the fellowship less the indoctrination and tunnel vision.  I don't want to chant "keep coming back".  You wouldn't need to start chanting that if you were doing it correctly and don't get me started on the slogans.  Also they need to edit the BBB by about half or toss it out all together and stop worshiping the philandering idiot of a founder Bill Wilson.  Obviously there's more but let's just start with that.

• Like 1

Ne1

Yeah, it's the first step that keeps me from going back. I love the rooms, love my tribe, even love the vibe, some of the steps and even the slogans! But the first step, "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol..."? Can't say that anymore. First of all, as she says in the blog entry:

"This negates the fundamental right of all humans to make choices and shape who they are through their values, decisions, and actions. It removes responsibility, free will, and power."

Second of all, I took a medication everyday and for four years I had absolute control over alcohol.

Also, I have alcoholism. I'm not an alcoholic. But that's a whole different rant. Still, between not being able to "take" the first step, and not being willing to raise my hand and say, "My name is Ne and I'm an alcoholic", I'm fairly certain the rooms aren't for me anymore. Bums me out, honestly. Really. I miss those dark church basement rooms, and smoking outside with people like me. 

Thanks, Mentium. 

bleep

Cool article, thanks. It never worked for me, but I know of a couple of very good mates that have benefited, religion or no.

As well as the first step, it's also the bit about "removing defects". Defects are part of what make life interesting, people with no defects are non-existent, and people who think they have none are downright fucking irritating. A world full of perfect people would be hell on earth. In fact, thinking about it, the most interesting people I've met are often the most defect-riddled. Doesn't make their life any easier, I'm sure, but at least it makes them interesting. That's before we get into what a defect is, and what's just you that's slightly different, which is a whole other thing that I won't go in to.

Mentium

The longest alcohol free periods of my adult  life have been while attending AA. I got a lot out of the groups I attended and made some really good friends - albeit friends who lose interest as soon as you are drinking again. But as an affirmed atheist and believer in the power of the individual to change it didn't fit well with me and I was pretty miserable at times. Plus of course there is a lot of evidence out there that abstention increases cravings. A tough road.

I do though find it hard to condemn them because after all I was sober for quite a while while attending meetings.