Mentium

Counting units - the observer effect

Mentium

I'm still waiting for my first batch of Naltrexone to arrive. Should be any day now. So in preparation I thought I would start to count alcohol units, as recommended, and keep a record so that I would have a baseline to work from.

So last night I did this for the first time. I worked out how many units go into my glass (it is of course a big wine glass) and jotted a note on my notepad. Separately I make a little spreadsheet (which I will probably replace with an app in due course).

You may have heard of the effect of observing quantum events in physics - i.e that the act of observing effects the outcome. Well that was exactly what happened last night. I was so conscious of counting the units that I was wide awake, not particularly relaxed and drank at least 4 or 5 units more than I would normally.

Fuzzy head this morning as a result. Hopefully as I get used to it, it will just become normal.

More when the Nal arrives!

• Like 1

Baclofenman
5 hours ago, Mentium said:

Fuzzy head this morning as a result. Hopefully as I get used to it, it will just become normal.

Fuck Me - You wrote that on a fuzzy head - You must be a Mensa man in soberness

I would suggest the outcome of your "experiment" are fairly typical of an Alcoholic

Quantum Physics aside (as I have no idea what it is) the Alcoholics built in obsessional behaviour would mean that the results would be skewed from a normal, everyday result, under experimental conditions - I would have thought - But then again that could be Quantum Physics but as I said, as I do not know what it is, it might not or then again it may well be......

Anyway, I got a headache now, think I need a drink

Go on Menty, check the tracker - You know it makes sense.......

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

Mentium

You will need register or log in to read this content

Hehe.

• Like 1

Baclofenman
Just now, Mentium said:

You will need register or log in to read this content

Hehe.

For Dummies?

You are joking...My attention was lost after the first line

Sorry... Attention span not my forte 

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

phoenix

I thought you were going to say you drank less, a little like when a person is asked to keep a food diary - they are really good for the day.

The other thought that came into my head is that alcoholics will often find any excuse to drink [more], and your diligence sounds like a must try hard streak.

• Like 1

bleep

I too thought you would have decreased. I've never kept a log, which is probably just as well; I'd keep trying to break my record.

• Like 1

Ne1

This thread has given me a good chuckle to start my day. Quantum physics? Really? Bahahaha! 

I can tell you from my experiences when I'm trying to quit smoking, I smoke MORE in some sort of weird anticipation that I'm going to have to give it up. It's like my mind makes me frantic thinking that I'm never going to be able to smoke again, and so I try to pack a year's (or a lifetime's) worth of smoking into the short period of time before my quit date. Completely unconscious, too. It's not as though I'm thinking, "Chain smoke more today or else!!!" 

Ditto watching my nutrition intake. I've cut myself off of Haagen Dasz (I agree, it's tragic to deprive myself in this way, but sadly, it's necessary.) Right before I decided to give it up I ate not one, but TWO pints in one day. Yep. Seriously. Resulted in a very unpleasant sugar-headache, and a tough time going to sleep (chocolate has caffeine in it or something?). 

But keeping track has been proven by legitimate research to improve the chances of changing a habit (getting rid of a bad one, or starting a good one) so keep on tracking. Despite the theories behind quantum physics. ;)

• Like 1

Mentium

Well day two was even weirder. I drank about 5 or 6 units less than 'normal', which resulted in a restless night. I woke at 6 and couldn't get back to sleep, sank into a sort of restless half waking half dreaming state for an hour or more, got up at that point and for most of the morning felt like I had been attacked by some sort of disease with the main symptom being acute and very vicious  anxiety. It was so bad it was like an outside force. Thankfully that subsided by early afternoon.

I don't know what that is all about, though it is possible at some level my addiction is aware it is under scrutiny and potential attack!

On the plus side the Naltrexone appears to have arrived in the UK, so with luck I should get it in the next day or two.

• Like 1

Ne1

My disease is very good at anticipating dramatic upheaval. It attacks my brain with all sorts of convoluted messages and neurons that I didn't know existed start snapping and zapping and behaving all funky. (This is the scientific description. ;)

Sorry about your anxious morning/day. I would bet it has something to do with withdrawal because you didn't drink your 'normal' amount. 

On a completely different note, do you want to start a thread that shows us, in the US, how to calculate units vs. drinks? I know I knew at one time, and it's probably an easy google search. But better coming from someone who understands it. IMHO. 

Hope tomorrow is better! 

Mentium

Thanks Ne. It really is very simple (if you drink read wine at about 13.5%) - a bottle is 10.1 units.

However here is a very handy  link: You will need register or log in to read this content

I'll post this in a new thread.

In other news my Naltrexone arrived today! Will start a thread on that too!

• Like 1

Molly78

Ha! I just commented on your other thread about wine strength! I think we are cross posting - can the administrators amalgamate the 2 threads? - if you agree, Mentium of course?

• Like 1