MJM

MJM's progress thread

MJM

I'm back, and sober about 1.5 weeks.

I've made a few changes, which seem to be making a difference.

I've started to see a psychologist, have a personal trainer come over once a week and have been on the exercise bike in between. I've been trying to stop smoking: had five days without, then cracked. Still, I'm smoking half as much as I did.

My wife's drinking is still the no.1 thing that upsets me. I'm going to find a time to talk to her about it in the next couple days. 

I've just come back from a work trip, and I realised for the first time just how stressful they are. It was so full-on. I'll be glad to not have as many of those.

I still have some nights with bad lower back pain. It's a Bac SE — it disappears by late morning and comes back in the evening. It is getting better though.

In all, I feel as if I'm finally moving forward...

• Like 4

Nicnak

My hubbys drinking was always worse than mine till about 10 years ago which is when I think mine escalated to unsociable drinking.I started drinking in my own when hubby was at work.Previously I never would have dreamed of drinking on my own.I also started to drink in the daytime while the kids were at school,I got into online chat sites and I think that was my downfall.

So it would be good if you can somehow get through to your wife.But I can imagine she would get defensive.I was always the one to say that we should drink less ect and looking back I realised I'd crossed the line into alcoholism when I didn't think about cutting down and would get defensive if hubby said anything about my drinking 

Lostinspace

MJM - I’m glad to hear you feel you’re moving forward :-) I haven’t been around for a while, so maybe I missed something. Is your wife still taking baclofen? Maybe you could frame the conversation around that, and the fact that you think it would benefit her to keep going up in dose (or start again), so she won’t be as likely to get defensive as she would if you just brought up her drinking being a problem. In any case, I’m sorry you're still having to deal with that. I hope you can find some peace in the situation and focus on your own success. One and a half weeks is great!

• Like 3

MJM

Thank-you for your feedback @Lostinspace , @Nicnak , @Ne1 and @Mom2JTx3.

My wife went to something like 280mg (? can't remember now - but it was a high dose) on Bac and never stopped drinking. Her SEs were really bad, so she hates the stuff now. No way she'll even look at Bac. Naltrexone maybe. She was talking about that a few months ago when she said she wanted to see a D&A councillor and ask to be put onto Nal.

THat's all come to nothing. The good news is that my wife's old boss has left (well, good in a way). That boss was instrumental in my wife's stellar rise in her career, and was a great mentor and also a buffer between the higher-ups and my wife and her team. Without her boss there — and a new CEO who's a pain — she's really struggling with the even more massive work load and is staarting to think about other jobs.

I've come to the conclusion that, for now at least, both my wife and I are not well-suited to high-stress jobs. Her accelerated and more profound drinking is the obvious result of her stressful job, and my high stress levels after a frantically busy freelance job I did earlier this week proves that to me, at least. Riding my motorcycle back from the airport, I got it in my head I was in a hurry (I wasn't) and bottomed-out the front suspension going too fast over a speed hump and then just clipped a car mirror when lane-splitting at traffic lights. Pulled over and the woman whose mirror I'd clipped took several photos of my bike, my licence, my bike again, the 'damage' etc. I was lucky, it would've polished out. 

The point is I got myself so worked up from the absolutely manic pace of the day, that it continued when I was on the bike. No harm done this time, but I am thinking about how I can better address this stuff...

Anyway, I have the (fragile) semblance of a new healthy routine going. The more I have nicotine lozenges the less I want to smoke. I had only 3-4 yesterday. Lost 2kg in the last week too.:)

Edited by MJM
  • Like 4

MJM

So it's three weeks today w/o a drink. The next two days I am on a work trip that will be as full-on as the last one — so my stress levels are potentially going to be high. However, I was maybe a week sober last time; I'm hoping some more time for the fog to clear will help.

Also, exercise. I started to get really anxious on Sat night and again Sun morning. Got on the exercise bike for 30min and the anxiety went away, just like that. So taking my running gear (well, fast walking gear these days!) on the trip to get in an early morning run/walk.

Meditation/mindfulness. Of all places to remind me of this, it was in the movie Sully where Tom Hanks pauses outside the hearing room to close his eyes and take a couple breaths. That 'pause' to collect myself is what I need more of — and in fact a bit more proper meditation, not just a few seconds to collect myself.

I think Bac treatment works differently for everyone. Yes, indifference is the same result, but not only the dose level to reach indifference varies; there are other issues that seem to influence individual recovery.

In my case, 2015 was the year that I began my Bac treatment and also the year my Mum declined significantly and eventually died. I was pretty close to Mum, so that upheaval really rocked me. There's nothing I can do to stop such stresses in my life — obviously — but perhaps I could be looking at other areas (like work) and see if I can stop taking on things that seem to increase my stress levels. I have identified what they are now and so have to assess whether I can continue doing that part of my work or not.

Being in a home where there's another heavy drinker. My wife's drinking has not only been a source of stress but also has made it easier to sucumb to the voice of craving. I wonder how I might be if there was no AL in the house and I took a 20mg extra dose of Bac, went for a walk or meditiated. Jury's out on this one.

I also was too keen to reduce my dose once I found indifference. When my Mum died, I had been sober for something like two months but has already had thoughts of drinking because I'd started to titrate down from my maintenance dose. I won't be going down much if at all for at least six months; I have reduced from 240 to 230mg p/day in an effort to reduce the back pain SE, but will hang in there at 230mg.

• Like 3

Mom2JTx3

@MJM I also had back pain but it's resolved since I've been on the same dose for awhile.  I can't pinpoint when as I never really related it to Bac until you mentioned it, but at 3 months at this dosage (310mg) it doesn't bother me anymore unless I spend too much time in bed reading or surfing before sleep.

• Like 2

MJM

Things are going well. I'm nudging 4 weeks AL-free. 

Still have the lower back pain SE, but am getting up less during the night due to back pain or for the loo.

Saw my GP a couple days ago and my BP was 120/90. The distolic isn't great, but overall an improvement over last time I saw her (I had been only a few days w/o AL, 155/90).

She also weighed me, and I've lost 8kg over the last 18mths. Still have another 10kg or so to reach a good weight for my height, but I'm happy that I have continued to lose weight over the last few weeks.

I went to a work gig this week that normally makes me really stressed out. I did much better this time, with exercise and meditation helping. Oh, and that magic pill Baclofen, of course!

I am interested in the recent thread about Baclofen and tension. I still get a lot of that and also anxiety from time to time.

I have reduced my dose from 240mg per day to 225mg, in the hope it will help ease my back pain. But I'm not going down any further — that is just too risky. I even wonder if going down 15mg was a good idea. So far so good.

My wife has acknowledged that her drinking has to stop after I confronted her. Her menopause does seem to have had a bearing on the decline in her behaviour when drunk (screaming at the kids etc). We'll see how it goes, but it's better than it was.

Overall life is pretty good at the moment. I have more of a routine, and am doing things like cleaning the gutters and other stuff that I used to do before succumbing to the booze in a big way again.

Baclofen works, it really does.

• Like 5

Nicnak

I've ordered I-theanine which people on here say is good for tension and anxiety and magnesium for my bowels which I've also read is good for tension

All in all its your life seems to be on the up

• Like 2

Felina

Wow @MJM, that is wonderful  news! Sounds like pretty much everything has gotten better for you. Congrats on the AF time, that is wonderful!

• Like 1

Ne1

Hey, MJM. I'm so glad that you're keeping this record and keeping us all up to date. 

I'm glad you've had some success talking with your wife about her destructive drinking. And yes, though I have absolutely nothing to back this up, not even my own experience (yet), I think menopause makes alcoholism a very tricky thing to deal with. I'm not looking forward to it. I guess the reason I say that is because when I first got on MWO in 2010, I kept track of who succeeded with baclofen and who didn't, and tried to keep track of the whys of it. Lost of menopausal, perimenopausal and postmenopausal women on there, and not a lot of them having success with baclofen. (Though, in all fairness, back then success with baclofen was pretty iffy. We know a lot more now, about titration and expectations, then we did back then.)

You know, I know that Cassander is around here occasionally, but he's big into changing life so that it's less stressful. His first solution was consistent exercise. But he's got a bunch of books he recommends, about giving stress up, that make a lot of sense. I haven't read them all...But I think I'm gonna beg him to come on here and lay out his list of reading recommendations and approaches to living stress free. God knows I have no idea how to do it. 

Are you actively meditating? That's still high on my list of things I never seem to do, but are always on the list. 

• Like 1

MJM
On 28 September 2016 at 3:06 AM, Ne1 said:

Hey, MJM. I'm so glad that you're keeping this record and keeping us all up to date. 

I'm glad you've had some success talking with your wife about her destructive drinking. And yes, though I have absolutely nothing to back this up, not even my own experience (yet), I think menopause makes alcoholism a very tricky thing to deal with. I'm not looking forward to it. I guess the reason I say that is because when I first got on MWO in 2010, I kept track of who succeeded with baclofen and who didn't, and tried to keep track of the whys of it. Lost of menopausal, perimenopausal and postmenopausal women on there, and not a lot of them having success with baclofen. (Though, in all fairness, back then success with baclofen was pretty iffy. We know a lot more now, about titration and expectations, then we did back then.)

You know, I know that Cassander is around here occasionally, but he's big into changing life so that it's less stressful. His first solution was consistent exercise. But he's got a bunch of books he recommends, about giving stress up, that make a lot of sense. I haven't read them all...But I think I'm gonna beg him to come on here and lay out his list of reading recommendations and approaches to living stress free. God knows I have no idea how to do it. 

Are you actively meditating? That's still high on my list of things I never seem to do, but are always on the list. 

Hi Ne — yes I'm meditating but only a couple times a week, which is not enough really. I know from doing this before that the more regularly you do it, the more you get out of it.

I use a simple 10-min meditiation you can get for free from this Scottish buddist chap You will need register or log in to read this content

I don't know why but I find his voice very soothing, like Mrs Doubtfire (well, she was a he after all!)

My wife and kids have gone away for three nights (it's the first week of the two-week school holidays) so that I can work and I'm taking them away next week camping. But I'm finding it so hard to do my work. Getting though it, but not at the rate I'd hoped. I've been spending a lot of the time working on my classic car. Fun, but not exactly what I'm supposed to be doing!

• Like 2

MJM

An 'interesting' couple of weeks. 

I took the kids camping, which was an equal mix of fun and frustration. They were either great company or fighting with each other or me.

The last day I think I forgot to take my 75mg afternoon dose. I topped up 25mg on my night time dose, not wanting to take more in case I had taken the 75mg earlier.

That night I had the worst back pain ever. I barely slept.

So when I got home, emptied the caravan and returned it, on the way home I had a craving. I was almost dizzy, feeling a bit out of it anyway. Kind of detached.

Anyway, I drank that night and the following. 

Then I went away with work and drank one night, a couple nights ago. Not nearly as much as I normally do; I went to bed at 9pm even though there was a bit of a party happening.

I think the link between my drinking again is depression/anxiety. I know, it's probably obvious to everyone else, but it's just clicked every time I can think of that I have drank again, it's been because of primarily depresssion.

My wife said she and the kids have noticed I have been more stressed etc the last few weeks especially, ie depressed. I'm seeing my Dr on Friday and I am going to get off Effexor and try something else. On 150mg it's clearly not working and if I increase to 225mg I feel numb.

• Like 1

Molly78

MJM, I thought that Effexor was one of the ADs that increased cravings for alcohol?  Not sure it was the one that Ne was on that caused her to start drinking again, but could you discuss this with your doc?  Does your doc know you are taking back, is s/he aware of your alcoholism (sorry, I can't remember your past history).

Dizziness, feeling out of it are recognised SE of Effexor anyway.  Could you increase your dose of bac & taper off the Effexor?

• Like 2

MJM
2 hours ago, Molly78 said:

MJM, I thought that Effexor was one of the ADs that increased cravings for alcohol?  Not sure it was the one that Ne was on that caused her to start drinking again, but could you discuss this with your doc?  Does your doc know you are taking back, is s/he aware of your alcoholism (sorry, I can't remember your past history).

Dizziness, feeling out of it are recognised SE of Effexor anyway.  Could you increase your dose of bac & taper off the Effexor?

Anecdotal evidence — there's heaps of it on the 'net — suggests that Effexor (and other SNRIs/SSRIs) does increase AL cravings. No peer-reviewed studies on it, AFIAK.

So I can't take that angle with the Dr — it won't wash.

She knows about the Bac and AL problems.

I'll have to dig back into threads here, I remember Ne or someone was talking about a non-SSRI anti-depressant that was good, that I want to try. Do you know what I'm talking about @Ne1?

• Like 1

Ne1

Hey, MJM. Yep. I'm fairly convinced that the reason that baclofen didn't work for me on my second titration up is because I was taking (among other things) Effexor and then Abilify (same drug, basically). Nothing peer reviewed in humans, but there is in rats. In rats, Effexor shows an increase in craving and withdrawal symptoms. And I think it also shows an increased consumption, but can't remember now. If you or your doc wants to see it, I'll dig it up. Bottom line? I agree that trying a different AD med would be a good idea. I stopped (slowly) without adding a new one. I'm glad I titrated down, since I've heard it's hard to get off of, and I didn't have any residual or rebound issues when I stopped taking it, but I don't recommend not starting a new one at the same time.

The one I eventually switched to is amitryptilline (Elavil). It's an old one. Good for sleep, definitely helped my depression. Easy to take, with few side effects. 

I've also read that people have had success with...Mer...Dangit. I can't remember. It's a new one, an SNRI, and at low doses can make a difference quickly. I'll think of it eventually... Mertazapam? That's not close. Someone help! 

All of the other stuff you mentioned sounds like...life. It's hard. You have it particularly hard in some ways right now. And new sobriety can be a lumbering grizzly bear just waiting for a bad day to tear the life out of contented abstinence. But every day sober is an achievement and I still think you're doing an amazing job of thinking rationally, planning ahead, and continuing the fight. I'm just sorry it's so hard right now. Hang in, friend. I'm right behind you. (I hope!)

• Like 2

MJM
14 hours ago, Molly78 said:

Mirtazapine?

Yes, I think that's it. Just googled it and it seems like the drug of choice for me, so to speak.

My life feels dull ATM. There are no highs, no absolute lows, just a continum. It's not a lot of fun.

@Ne1 thank-you for your kind words. You are a strong part of this forum, really supportive and you don't lie about your struggles with AL. I like that.

I am not a very regular participant here; it's as if life gets in the way and I can't find the time to be more involved. 

I feel much more at home here than MYO though; I feel bad about my post on MYO a few months ago. 

I deleted it, but basically I was drunk and tried to get the moderators attention (well, isn't that a total waste of time) by using phrases that might get their attention. That really upset some people (which I totally get). Oh well.

Edited by MJM
  • Like 2

Ne1

That's it! Mirtazapine! Thanks. :) 

I'm glad that you like it here, and we each do what we can to stay involved, MJM. Thanks for the kind words.

Don't worry about MWO or what's done. It's done. MWO's a mess and has been for years. That's not your fault! And anyone that's still holding onto something that you said a long time ago, when you weren't thinking clearly, really needs to take a look in the mirror. That's just the rule. :hug: 

• Like 2

Alice22

Hi, MJM I'm new here but just read your post and I too have some depression hanging around and I don't know if it's meds, no meds (I stopped all ADs a few months ago after 7+years), long term withdrawl from alcohol, or just depression I've had my whole life.  I do have short periods where I feel pretty good so I know it's possible and this keeps me hopeful and moving forward every day.  I'm giving it another month or so before I talk to my psychiatrist about starting a new AD.   Let's keep our fingers crossed we find the right treatment.

• Like 2

Molly78
1 hour ago, Alice22 said:

I do have short periods where I feel pretty good so I know it's possible and this keeps me hopeful and moving forward every day.

Hang in there, Alice!  Try to manage without any more ADs.  Alcohol just messes with your whole central nervous system.  Once your al-free, I'm sure your mood will slowly improve.  A month might not be long enough?

As you can see above. ADs can adversely affect your response to baclofen.  Also, while your brain is trying to recover from years of alcoholic onslaught, it seems counter intuitive to start poisoning it with other chemicals.

MJM

I think everyone is different. While I wish I did not start on ADs six years ago, I was very depressed and I'm not sure I would have been receptive to other methods. I was not drinking at the time and had not been for four years. it was while on ADs a year later that I started drinking again.

I saw my psychologist yesterday and she showed me some research (admittedly old, 2005 - although not sure if that makes any difference) that showed exercise was just as effective as ADs over a year in reducing depression. She also explained the depression cycle and how to break it.

I'm not saying that I'm a meat-eater going vegan on this, but damn that lettuce is looking tasty. 

If I can keep up exercise (I dropped it while on holidays with the kids and last week when away with work) and use all the other ploys to reduce depression I'm learning about then I might go off the ADs down the track. For the moment I will stick with them but at least I can see a way out of taking ADs.

Bac seems to be holding me back, sort of. I drank two nights ago (so that about 4 times in the last 2 weeks) but it got to 9pm, had about half of what I normally would, and I'd had enough. Went to bed shortly after.

I got some news yesterday that flamed my suspicions that one of my best clients with the best name in the industry is going to use me less than they did. Really I don't know that, I'm just trying to read between the lines. Yet that and the fact that I will have to stop working for another long-term client (their publications are abt to be sold to a bunch of misfits I just cannot work for - I know their form and it's all bad) as well has made me feel insecure anout work.

Last night I had the vague sense of cravings. I asked my wife if she could get some booze for me when she went for herself, but actually had no wish to drink. I just couldn't, even though I wanted to get out of it because of the work situation. I had a good dinner (I've been eating very little for lunch lately, often because I'm just not hungry and also I like the idea of losing more weight) and that was it. I didn't feel any need to get out of it (although I was smoking a fair bit!)

I just need to keep reminding myself how much I have been suffering from stress from the high-profile work in the last couple of months. I said as much in a post recently that I've been peaking from doing such jobs recently. Probably because the ADs aren't working, and I've been drinking here and there.

The point is, a) my ego doesn't like that I'm not going to have as many of the sexy writing jobs b) I'm worried that I won't have as much money.

These are the things I'm processing. a) will take a little while to adjust to, but frankly for all I know it's just quiet in the industry at the moment and so if it heats up again I could be flat-out with the sexy jobs. I didn't ask my managing editor any of that stuff yesterday. Yet given how I've been anxious and depressed lately, wouldn't time off these jobs be just a wonderful thing?

b) well, the fact is I've loved the primo work as all I had to do was say yes to it. Didn't have to pitch ideas or organise anything, just rock up to the event and do my thing. My other client was a regular monthly bunch of work for good money so while I had to organise it I knew I did not have to pitch anything. Just do the work and be paid for it.

So now I have to come up with more ideas, pitch more stories and face the fact that editors might say no. The fact is two editors have said we have budgets for certain types of stories, pitch them and likely we'll say yes to them all.

Well, there you go.

Edited by MJM

Nicnak

I was wondering about this as I've been prescribed fluoxetine and I did get the desire to drink but hopefully quashed it

MJM

Some good news. Saw my GP this morning and my BP is 120/70.

I also broached the subject of going onto Mirtazapine. Wasn't sure what she would say that, but she said that was fine, and that futhermore, it was what Dr Amanda Stafford used, so finally she's looked at the website!

Very glad to be going off Effexor.

• Like 3

MJM

I'm titrating down on Effexor. Early days yet (started to take 75mg, down from usual dose of 150mg, 4 days ago. Today started on 37.5mg).

No ill effects as yet. I am normally sensitive to changes in Effexor dose, but this time so far there's been nothing.

I have been drinking here and there over the last two weeks — maybe three times? Each time I drink half of what I usually do before deciding that's enough. 

Even though I am tired the following day, even though my aim is sobriety (I just don't like the foggy head after, and the feeling like it's a waste of time during drinking).

Obviously there is some reward from AL, but it is diminshed with Bac. That's a good thing.

The other thing I've noticed is that while I do resort to playing music, I have avoided the sad, moribound songs I usually go for when drunk. They're there as suggestings when going through youtube, but I stay away from them thinking, I want something fun to listen to. A big change from a few months ago when, after a skinful, I wanted to neck myself.

I have to be clear of any Effexor for three days before starting Mirtazapine. I want to try for a bit longer and see how my mood is. To do that with any success, I will need to up my exercise and meditation. Work is easy at the moment; I have a lot to do but it's all at the desk writing, no trips away with max stress, having to do video etc.

Work is bothering me a bit ATM. The sexy, get-me-noticed work (also the most stressful) has dried up (for now), and my longest-served client is about to be sold off to a fool that I know I can't work with. He's a journeyman, tight with money, bad with people and I don't see many backers for his new publishing outfit. Just an advisor, who used to be the publisher for the same magazine I'm about to lose, whose first job as publisher years ago was to tell me that my freelance contributions were no longer needed. It transpired that he had no idea what I actually did for the magazine, that it was unique content. He's another tool.

So I'm working on some CBT with this, thinking it through. Ultimately it's just that I feel that my name is not going to be prominant anymore because of the current situation.

I can't know what's around the corner, and I can see that the quieter work is good for me. I don't know for sure what lies ahead, but I have enough to be flat-out for the next two weeks. As I've always found, a lot can happen in two weeks as a freelance writer.

• Like 3

Molly78
17 hours ago, MJM said:

I have to be clear of any Effexor for three days before starting Mirtazapine. I want to try for a bit longer and see how my mood is. To do that with any success, I will need to up my exercise and meditation.

Go for it MJM!

My posts recently have a tedious theme along the lines of "try to stay off the ADs".  It's just that I see from many posts on this forum how much additional meds of any sort complicate the process of living an alcohol free life.  I mean it's going to be hard initially.  Someone elsewhere mentioned PAWS (post alcohol withdrawal syndrome) & we can all identify with that - but it goes away eventually.  If you medicate it, you might be committing yourself to ADs for many years.  Someone else mentioned being too numb to cry on an AD (sorry, these were all on another thread so I can't attribute them), a situation which seems beyond sad to me.

Lots of good advice on here about supplements which are worth trying - at least they're unlike to do any harm.  I've tried several, not found any yet that make a difference, but always open to suggestions.

• Like 2

MJM
11 hours ago, Molly78 said:

Go for it MJM!

My posts recently have a tedious theme along the lines of "try to stay off the ADs".  It's just that I see from many posts on this forum how much additional meds of any sort complicate the process of living an alcohol free life.  I mean it's going to be hard initially.  Someone elsewhere mentioned PAWS (post alcohol withdrawal syndrome) & we can all identify with that - but it goes away eventually.  If you medicate it, you might be committing yourself to ADs for many years.  Someone else mentioned being too numb to cry on an AD (sorry, these were all on another thread so I can't attribute them), a situation which seems beyond sad to me.

Lots of good advice on here about supplements which are worth trying - at least they're unlike to do any harm.  I've tried several, not found any yet that make a difference, but always open to suggestions.

Well here's the thing. I'm down to about 35mg Effexor and already something quite disturbing has started happening.

I feel happy.

Not a manic high or some kind of over-excitement happy, just seeing a bit more colour in the world. For example, just rode my motorcycle over to see my Dad who lives about 30min away. Not the most exciting of rides, but I really enjoyed it. The whole 'wind in the hair' (okay, wind around the helmet) thing. In the year I've had the bike I have not felt quite anything like that.

That's the thing about ADs, they cut off the low bits but also chop off the nice feelings up the top of the emotional range. Things like enjoying a nice sunset I haven't really done for 7 years.

Also being on the bike on a hot day, I should've been drenched in sweat — on of AD's side effects I've lived with the last 7 years. Sure I was feeling hot and a bit sweaty sitting in traffic, but nothing like before.

My depression isn't an imagined thing, but my dearly departed mum might've been onto something when she said all those years ago that perhaps I should try non-medication treatment first. I guess it doesn't matter now, but now I'm coming off the damn things I want to do anything I can to mange my depression without them.

I have had a few bouts of anxiety (just as I was on Effexor) but nothing else. I went from 150mg to 75mg on Saturday and then to 35mg or so since yesterday. When I missed a dose before, I'd get terrible dizzyness and a sense of foreboding. Not feeling anythinglike that so far. I'll keep to the 35mg for a few more days then stop taking them.

Edited by MJM
More info
  • Like 4

Molly78

I'm really glad to hear that, MJM.

Actually, after thinking about my post overnight, I came back to edit it.  I wouldn't want people to think that I was suggesting those with severe endogenous depression shouldn't take ADs - I know they can be a lifesaver for some.  But I do think the post-alcoholism blues are very common, when the individual is really looking for something to almost "substitute" for alcohol as a mood raiser?

• Like 2

MJM
59 minutes ago, Molly78 said:

I'm really glad to hear that, MJM.

Actually, after thinking about my post overnight, I came back to edit it.  I wouldn't want people to think that I was suggesting those with severe endogenous depression shouldn't take ADs - I know they can be a lifesaver for some.  But I do think the post-alcoholism blues are very common, when the individual is really looking for something to almost "substitute" for alcohol as a mood raiser?

I was actually sober about three years when in 2009-10 I went on ADs. My wife got cancer in 2008; it was a desmoid tumour so it was benign, thank god. But the whole thing, with kids aged 2 and 3 at the time (and not knowing what cancer it was for a week or so) plus my freelance work going tits-up after the GFC in 2008... well, I was depressed.

So yes, ADs have their place. I just wish I had tried to ween off them before I started drinking again circa 2011...

• Like 2

StuckinLA

Hi @MJM, just catching up on your thread. Lots of your posts were from like a month ago, so not sure if I have anything relevant to add. My B/P is similar to yours - I don't have underlying high blood pressure, but the alcohol raises it and alcohol withdrawal sends it through the roof. It takes about 3 or 4 weeks AF for it to get back down to normal. I know it is causing me problems, I guess I have an enlarged left atria, which is related to high blood pressure. Hasn't done anything to scare me away from booze and cigarettes, of course, but just thought I'd chime in.

After not drinking for a while the blood pressure drops right back down to normal. The time that I have been on B/P meds they did pretty much nothing, because of the booze. But then after not drinking for a couple weeks I'd get really, really lightheaded because of the meds. My B/P was going down, and the meds made it drop below normal. So anyway, basically when drinking any meds I take are like pissing in the ocean. Nothing overpowers the effects of the booze.

One last thing, when I was pretty high on bac and near what I think was my switch, I would do the falling down thing when drinking. I'm not much of a fall-down drunk either, more of a throw up and pass out drunk. On over 200mg/day of bac, though, I was falling down all the time and passing out in my kitchen or on the living room floor.

Hope you're doing well these days.

• Like 1