The End of my Addiction
Chuck

I Am Rebel: The Love Drug

Chuck

This, while somewhat off-topic, is a beautiful episode of television that I shared with my Dextromethorphan group to rave reviews. It's from National Geographic's "I Am Rebel" miniseries. This episode "The Love Drug" focuses on Dr. Alexander 'Sasha' Shulgin's research in the 50's-80's on psychedelics and their medicinal use. While Sasha passed away in 2014, his wife and co-researcher Ann is extensively interviewed. It's truly a fascinating piece of television, focusing on the interplay between recreational drug use, medicinal drug use, societal acceptance, politics, and law. Spoiler alert: towards the end of the episode, it's revealed that MDMA (ecstasy) is once again, currently, in clinical trials for treatment-resistant depression and treatment-resistant PTSD, to miraculous results.

I thought this would be of interest to us as we are interested in unconventional treatments and a progressive attitude towards healthcare. Really worth setting aside time for this. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIBU03mBrdg

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/i-am-rebel/videos/the-love-drug/

• Like 3

Ne1

Thanks, Chuck, for the recommendation. Maybe I'll get the chance to watch it this weekend. 

Chuck

I hope you do. I'm glad its now on YouTube, I love Ann and watching her interviews over and over again - she's so poised and intelligent and upper-crusty (she speaks in Transatlantic English which as a language geek I love), and she makes such thought-provoking remarks and it's just funny to think of her tripping on MDMA and the hundreds of other psychedelics that Sasha tested and developed. I would love to meet her.