The End of my Addiction
Chuck

"Intervention" S 15 Ep 14: Brian N. 7/17/2016

Chuck

I'm completely addicted (pun completely intended) to Intervention on A&E. Maybe some of you are as well :-). I've seen every episode and this past sunday july 17's episode was one of the "purest" in its 360° portrayal of alcoholism, its causes and consequences, the addict's experience, and most importantly how it can be reinforced and worsened by family systems - the very systems that are supposed to be the first line of defense. It set off quite the flurry on Facebook, with a general outpouring of support for Brian and a harsh castigation of certain family members. Speaking of which, with a little bit of sleuthing I was able to find (but did not contact) Brian and he is now sober and flourishing.

Maybe some of us have been through this experience too, where you're stuck in an intractably nasty family situation that contributed to the cause of your problem, but you're somehow dependent on them, and as much as they help, they also hurt, and it just becomes cyclical. And by "hurt" I'm not just talking about enabling, more like outright abuse. A very sad episode but with a happy ending.

http://www.aetv.com/shows/intervention/season-15/episode-14

If that doesn't work try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER2Mnw8f6Gs but skip the video and click the link in the description, but at your own risk, it seems fishy.

• Like 1

Felina

Jesus, @Chuck! I just watched it and I thought I was going to explode. All the judgment and moralizing, especially from his mom. Who could get sober with all that negativity directed towards you? "Outright abuse" really does describe that sort of treatment.  Ugh.

Chuck

YES - the mom, what a beast. The delight she took in making him feel as worthless as possible, and at the end how she said she's partly sad he's going away to treatment because she'll be losing her little boy (translation: she won't have him to browbeat anymore). I can't remember any time a parent was less than overjoyed their kid was going to treatment. And didn't it seem like she and the ex-wife were auditioning for a soap opera? The drama... I had to pause and laugh when in the pre-int the ex-wife, hand on chest and shaking her head, asked plaintively to Jeff "what can I do... to make sure... that my kids don't go through this... [gasp] [tears] [gasp] [sigh]". There is something almost pathologically narcissistic and attention-seeking about both of them. Sheesh.

• Like 1

Felina

Narcissistic and attention-seeking, yes. Did they ever think about Brian and his misery at any point? They were so focused on themselves.

I remember when I first went to rehab, the counselors told us that the main reason we were addicts was because we were selfish and self-centered. And this rehab was one of the "nicer" ones. My second rehab was waaaay worse. It was based on the "attack therapy" model, and it was beyond horrific. We weren't just selfish and self-centered, we needed to be screamed at and belittled as often as possible, 24/7. This would somehow make us better, and we would recover from our addictions if we made it through the trial of fire. (The majority of people didn't get close, and my roommate committed suicide.)

Chuck

@Felina oh that's awful, I'm so sorry you had to go through that but glad you got out and found a plan that works better for you. And terribly sad about your roommate, I bet the counselors didn't take one hint of responsibility. Did you have any say in going to those centers? Or was it decided for you by parents or the court, etc. Do you know if they're still in operation? Bcs not only does it obviously not work, but that's wholesale abuse, which is illegal or at least in a legal grey area. They could easily lose their accreditation or get shut down.

When will doctors, nurses, counselors, caregivers etc., finally learn the message that people respond POSITIVELY to POSITIVE sentiment, and NEGATIVELY to NEGATIVE sentiment! So simple!

• Like 1

Molly78

It won't let me watch that in the UK, I have to sign in to my TV provider (all US ones). Don't fancy the fishy link on you Tube, will try to source this from elsewhere - maybe it's on Netflix? Sounds good!

Felina

@Chuck - yes, that place still exists. I'm pretty sure these types of treatment centers - often called "Theraputic Communities" - are still fairly common in the U.S.  They don't advertise their methods as attack therapy, though sometimes they use soft-sounding language, i.e. stating that the participants "hold each other accountable." I was under the supervision of the Board of Mental Health at the time, but it was my family who put me in there. It wasn't a requirement under my supervision. I stayed for a month because I was unemployed and essentially homeless.  I ran away after being on the hot seat during one of their "encounter sessions." 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_therapy

hopefully this link works because it's a very accurate description: https://books.google.com/books?id=O4l7yR9xPNYC&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=therapeutic+community+attack+therapy&source=bl&ots=9nub0UgF0C&sig=PM4xIfQG0h0Wifko3KdovWUj51w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwidqaqGw4zOAhWDOz4KHUUDB6MQ6AEIQTAE#v=onepage&q=therapeutic community attack therapy&f=false

Chuck

Wow, I read the links, and at least it seems they're on the decline. I would have deteriorated rapidly under those circumstances. Really scary stuff.

About the episode - I don't know if they're on Netflix but they are on Amazon Instant Video, and usually they all get added together at the end of a season. So there might be a bit of a wait :-\

Baclofenman
1 hour ago, Molly78 said:

It won't let me watch that in the UK, I have to sign in to my TV provider (all US ones). Don't fancy the fishy link on you Tube, will try to source this from elsewhere - maybe it's on Netflix? Sounds good!

Its a bit scratchy (buffer wise) but it looks safe - Make sure your Ad/Popup blocker is on or you will get a couple of pages of crap but nothing terminal as far as I can see

http://projectwatchseries.com/videos/intervention-s15-e14/304812.html

Regards

Bacman

Molly78

I can't get that link to play, Bacman. Or the one that Chuck posted - I don't see what he means by "click the link in the description"

<sigh> back to Netflix for tonight's entertainment

Baclofenman
38 minutes ago, Molly78 said:

I can't get that link to play, Bacman. Or the one that Chuck posted - I don't see what he means by "click the link in the description"

<sigh> back to Netflix for tonight's entertainment

Evening Molls

Odd that - Using a UK IP it works alright - What browser are you using? (Please dont say IE/Edge) - Windows or the other one?

Intervention.png

You have to click the white and then blue triangle and as I say loading time is slow - The description referred to just links me to Ray Donovan, which is brilliant but I have seen them all and was not what I was looking for

Regards

Bacman

Chuck

The link in the description is in this screenshot of the youtube link. The URL in the bottom line of the screenshot that contains bit.ly. I haven't clicked it, it probably leads you to the projectwatchseries.com link that Bacman posted.

screenshot 2016-07-24 18-02-25.jpg

Baclofenman
4 minutes ago, Chuck said:

The link in the description is in this screenshot of the youtube link. The URL in the bottom line of the screenshot that contains bit.ly. I haven't clicked it, it probably leads you to the projectwatchseries.com link that Bacman posted.

No - It (in the UK anyway) links to Ray Donovan

Felina

I have a friend in another state who is in AA ,and she was talking on Facebook today about Elizabeth Vargas' interview with Diane Sawyer on 20/20. Here is the link. I could hardly bear to watch this episode, and I had to pause it several times to regroup. I especially hated that Elizabeth felt the need to apologize so much and atone for her behavior.

Chuck

AAARGGH I HATED this interview too! Diane Sawyer really loves digging in the knife, doesn't she - "Have you ever endangered your children from drinking?" "No." "Are your sure?". I also had to pause and shout into the air a few times while watching this. For me it was that lame-ass explanation by the scientist in the lab and the non-answers by the guy at the rehab center, all of that crap that's flung at you - statements masquerading as questions designed to produce a "yes" answer (which, much like Diane Sawyer, is the only answer they'll take). I now remember how much all my three hospital stays just made my drinking worse. F*ck medicine. It reminded me of how, if I ever, God forbid, end up in a hospital again from anything related to drinking, I'm going to flat-out lie to the doctors, because drinking is so much more complex and textured that any of those bullsh*t questionnaires and no matter what you say it will be used against you.

• Like 1

Felina

Oh man, I think I unconsciously blocked out that guy in the rehab center for my own mental health. The know it all who is so ready to "hold you accountable" for your drinking. I'm sorry it upset you, but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who wanted to yell the whole time I was watching it. It pretty much underscored everything I hate about the current methods for treating alcoholism.

• Like 1

Jetsman32

My wife and I love this show. Unfortunately we don't get A&E as we have the most basic cable package. We do get it on Hulu Plus though. They just uploaded season 14 and we are ripping through it a furious clip (2 episodes) per night. It's kind of weird but this whole season takes place in Canada. I'm wondering if the addicts in the US caught on that the "documentary" was actually just the show Intervention.

I also love to make my 15 year old watch the show with us. It throws a little scare into him. When he was 12 I made him watch Faces of Meth with my wife and I. He was horrified. I always tell him the same mantra---"Just one time". Hopefully he'll just stick to weed and beer like every other college kid when he gets there (I don't expect him to be perfect in college- who is?)

I tried to click on the link. I'm on my work computer though and it doesn't allow streaming video sites. I'll try it on my wife's computer tonight.

@Felina I am so sorry about your experience at rehab. I've never been but my friends who have attended have told me similar stories. The problem with standard rehabs is they are state run and the people running them are former addicts themselves. In most states you don't need anything other than a 10 hour course to become a certified drug counselor. On intervention it looks like the people go to the really nice places- the ones normal people can't afford. Did you know that some of these luxury rehabs can cost as much as 50K for a 3 month stay? What kind of poor addict can afford that type of arrangement. Also- these "rehabs" are really just places for the leaders to shove AA Mantra down your throat. They require you to attend 3 meetings per day. I think most of us on this forum would agree that treating an illness with a spiritual remedy isn't exactly "scientific". Maybe, eventually the medial community will catch on to this but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1