The End of my Addiction
Ne1

Constipation

Ne1

So every time I quit drinking, and there have been many, many times over the last 20+ years, though none with the long-lasting results of baclofen...Anyway. What was I talking about? Oh, yes. Constipation. 

I get constipated when I quit drinking. And sometimes just because. 

I know this happens to other people, too. And it has also been suggested as a baclofen side effect, though I can't speak to that. 

I had been recommending Colace (ducosate sodium) 100-300mg/day. It's not a laxative, doesn't make you have to plan your day around a bathroom, generally harmless for most people without other preexisting conditions. 

My pDoc recommended Magnesium 250mg 1-3x/day. Y'all know I try meds before supps, not the other way around. But the Colace just wasn't cutting it and I haven't been eating enough spinach....

I tried Magnesium 250mg yesterday and voila! Took another this morning. No cramps. No muss or fuss. Things are back to normal. I'm not even sure I needed to take one today. 

So there you go. Magnesium to the rescue. 

• Like 3

Baclofenman

Hi Ne

With Al, I am free as you like, get up, make coffee and there you go....

When I stopped drinking and was well on the Bac I got constipation badly - Went every four or five days and it was a real strain - Tried all the usual but with no luck - There is a thread somewhere about this - I know @Nicnak has/has had issues with this too - One night I think this caused me to have an incident where I expect my straining affected my blood pressure to an extent where it caused me to pass out - (I blame this rather than an effect of Baclofen :) )

I am in the process of switching from Zaclofen to Propharma Baclofen and things have improved drastically - Only time will tell I suppose?

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

Molly78

That's interesting. There's an ongoing debate about whether SEs vary between different brands.

I have irritable bowel syndrome & alcohol makes that a lot worse, so stopping drinking to excess has improved it no end.

Edited by Molly78
  • Like 1

Nicnak

I have terrible terrible constipation.Basically I can't go without using the enema thing I bought which is a hot water bottle contraption with a hose that you use to fill up your bowels with water and the poo is blasted out (sorry TMI I know)

I have tried loads of different laxatives but the problem isn't hard stools but more like the spinkter has seized up??

Ive even looked at anal relaxer creams aimed at anal sex but a bit worried in case my kids open up the parcel haha

Basically I need a big funnel up there to let everything drain out!!

Im hoping that when I eventually come down it will get better

• Like 1

Baclofenman

OMG Nicnak - Three brits discussing their No2 issues!!

Molls - I am interested in the discussion, can you point me anywhere?

Maybe a thread on side effects per label might be in order?

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

Nicnak

Well I'm using Mylan that I get from Goldpharma because that's the brand that I got given when I had a prescription from Dr Chick.But I had constipation the first time round on Bac and it was a different brand.

I also get what I call a Bac cough and only ever heard of one other person getting this as well 

• Like 1

Felina

@SKendall mentioned food grade diatomaceous earth on the Supplements thread. Since I pretty much buy everything that is recommended on that thread I bought 2 pounds. Mix a rounded tablespoon of this stuff with water and drink.  Not pleasant tasting but not intolerable. It's pretty miraculous. Highly recommended.

Edited to add, I added my response before reading from the beginning. Thanks for the magnesium recommendation @Ne1, you know I'm going to buy some xD

• Like 1

phoenix

It's not the baclofen, it's because alcohol is a laxative, take it away and your body has to get used to moving on it's own again (and bowel needs refilling).

I'm averse to chemical laxatives, been there, done that and you can become dependent.

Psyllium husk a couple of times, either capsule or the grounds, or a good fibre style pre/pro biotic. I also like to add chillies, jalepenos to food and find just a couple of those can help without having to go near medication. Once you've gotten back into a routine with good diet, and exercise it should all sort itself out.

• Like 2

Nicnak

I think it's definetly the Baclofen,my switch was overnight,no tapering off and I was constipated long before I became indifferent and stopped drinking

Ne1
On 9/3/2016 at 5:03 PM, Baclofenman said:

OMG Nicnak - Three brits discussing their No2 issues!!

HA! I think the discussions about SEs and brands were on the old forum. I've taken many, many kinds of baclofen, and I think that the SEs remain dose dependent, rather than brand differences, but that's just me. Interesting that changing brands changed your bowel habits. 

On 9/3/2016 at 5:14 PM, Nicnak said:

I also get what I call a Bac cough and only ever heard of one other person getting this as well 

Post-nasal-drip is a bonafide SE of even low dose baclofen. Maybe it's that? I also cough a lot, but I smoke like a chimney, so it's unlikely to be baclofen specific! 

On 9/3/2016 at 6:54 PM, Felina said:

Edited to add, I added my response before reading from the beginning. Thanks for the magnesium recommendation @Ne1, you know I'm going to buy some xD

You are so funny. I am not ordering any more damn supplements. I have everything from DLPA to Zinc in my cabinet and never remember to take them consistently, or find some reason that makes me nervous, because 1% of female rats showed signs of bloated toes when taking 10x the recommended dosage. ;) 

I do remember meeting a woman, a hundred years ago, in the local farmer's market who said that diatomaceous earth cured her breast cancer! Of course, I bought some. Of course, I got nervous about using it. So of course, I used it in soil for my garden. That was some expensive soil! 

• Like 3

Ne1

Oh, and about the Magnesium? 250mg first thing in the morning with my coffee, for 3 days, and now everything's completely back to normal without any more interference. 

And I have to admit, I've just started taking Melatonin for sleep, and I'm a convert. So I guess I'm a double hypocrite about this stuff? A hypocrite for taking it, when I don't believe in it. A hypocrite for suggesting that supplements don't work as well as meds, and a hypocrite because I have at least two new tools in my arsenal that are gentle, not habit forming and OTC supplements. That's a triple! A lot, even for me! :) 

• Like 4

Mom2JTx3
On September 5, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Ne1 said:

Oh, and about the Magnesium? 250mg first thing in the morning with my coffee, for 3 days, and now everything's completely back to normal without any more interference. 

And I have to admit, I've just started taking Melatonin for sleep, and I'm a convert. So I guess I'm a double hypocrite about this stuff? A hypocrite for taking it, when I don't believe in it. A hypocrite for suggesting that supplements don't work as well as meds, and a hypocrite because I have at least two new tools in my arsenal that are gentle, not habit forming and OTC supplements. That's a triple! A lot, even for me! :) 

@Ne1 I am the complete opposite.  I'm always convinced that there is a natural supplement that works as well as any prescription.  Before I tried Bac, I did the whole supplement thing and did striing a handful of AF days together for the first time, but Bac works better :)

• Like 1

Molly78

I'm also quite impressed with melatonin. I bought some off Amazon. It said take one 3 mg tablet. I thought "ho hum, it's only a supplement, I'll start off with 6 mg".  I woke up 2 hours later to find my laptop had gone into power save mode & there was a patch of dribble on my pillow. Gone back to 3 mg, needless to say - but however much you take, it wears off after about 2-3 hours. It's a sleep settling medication, it works like you own innate melatonin to get you to sleep, it doesn't keep you asleep.

Back to the drawing board........

Felina

@Molly78 I highly recommend l-tryptophan supplements. I have sworn by them for a couple of years now. They knock you out and it doesn't wear off like melatonin (I had that problem with melatonin). L-tryptophan helps me fall asleep and stay asleep with no hangover in the morning.

I want to add: I have also tried amitryptyline, Seroquel, trazodone, doxylamine succinate, 5-htp, melatonin, benadryl etc. etc. etc. to help me sleep. L-tryptophan was the best sleep I've tried out of all of those. Read the reviews on Amazon, the stuff works! 

(I know this has nothing to do with constipation but oh well!)

Baclofenman
On 04/09/2016 at 4:50 PM, Nicnak said:

I think it's definetly the Baclofen,my switch was overnight,no tapering off and I was constipated long before I became indifferent and stopped drinking

Afternoon Nicnak

I agree with this, tho I think AL being a "laxative" has a part to play in my previous AL life

Not going to help you I know (because I know what you take) but since I changed to Mylan my constipation has become manageable, still not as regular as I would like but a considerable amount better

I saw @Jetsman32 suggested the stool (lol) under your feet, this makes a lot of sense and it is, after all the way you have to go in a lot of the French toilets (public certainly), with just the 'ole in the ground

Constipation is bloody nasty and is not taken seriously by those who do not have the issue, so having been there, I wish you the best of luck

Best Regards

Bacman

Nicnak

Thanks bacman

I received my psyllium,magnesium and I-theanine today so hopefully it will work on the constipation 

• Like 1

SKendall

When I was drinking I was constipated, probably dehydration.  Now I've been diagnosed with Chron's, I have the opposite.  D.E., magnesium, etc. very helpful, but an apple a day, a bunch of veggies, etc. works.

When I take melatonin I do the 10 mg. dosage, but prefer the L-tryptophan, also.

• Like 1