Otter

Suggestion - Private Area

Otter

Can I suggest something?  

I am not enjoying posting anywhere now because I am finding that a person is reading my posts and has sent me an email taunting me and is using information from this forum and posting it on another forum which I think might be trolled (lol).

What we are all posting here, in the hopes of getting help with a medical treatment, is usually dealt with confidentially.  Our conversations with doctors are not broadcast all over the internet and then used by people with malevolent intentions to undermine our preferred treatment method by referring to us on other widely read forums. It's crazy when you think about it.

What if we had a confidential area where we could speak freely with others and even get professionals involved since they would also be protected from public scrutiny?  We could offer this as a better way and more secure way to discuss difficult personal issues without any old stranger viewing what we are saying.

My thinking is also that MWO is a useful tool to bring people here and if we offer this service and combine it with an all out effort to use MWO, not as a place to trade stories but as somewhere to make known that meds issues are medical and should be discussed privately and confidentially, there could be more interest in that forum which would then drive people here for a better service. 

Ne1

4 hours ago, Otter said:

What if we had a confidential area where we could speak freely with others and even get professionals involved since they would also be protected from public scrutiny?  We could offer this as a better way and more secure way to discuss difficult personal issues without any old stranger viewing what we are saying.

I can tell you that even were we to invite doctors, or other health professionals, to participate, and even if they were willing, they would never give medical advice or weigh in on medical situations, or even participate in discussions about specific situations under these circumstances. 

As difficult and frustrating as it is to have to share our personal information with someone, for example, we might consider to be malicious and ignorant, it is the nature of having an online forum. Restricting access is, in my opinion, counter to our purpose and goals. But, regardless, that's something administration would have to take into consideration.  

guardian

Are there doctors that market online? Create forum sponsors. The sponsorship gives the professional business, and he or she can use the forum as an interview tool. I've seen this done with men's health forums, i.e. allthingsmale.com, hairloss.org. We're in the grey market. Addiction professionals would like nothing more than to legitimize us, because it will be cash business. Eventually, if it is mainstream, it will become a reimbursement revenue stream, which is like a pipeline of marked-up easy business. Baclofen prescribing doctors worst problem right now is that they cannot book. Reach out with an offer so that they can book business, and they will bite.

Otter

The French forums have a private area for doctors. You will need register or log in to read this content

It's possible to do.  It's okay for some to post publicly but if you want to post but are afraid of any kind of internet comeback then maybe it's something to think about.  There's always PMs of course.  I didn't think that I would ever disclose my identity and be Skyping with someone who turned into a troll.  Who saw that coming but had this forum been up and running then maybe it could have been avoided and so many of us would not be left with a bad feeling, after so many years of work.  

Guardian, the plan is for there to be a prescribing network in France and then around the world.  It may be that they approach this forum in time. 

Otter
11 hours ago, Ne1 said:

I can tell you that even were we to invite doctors, or other health professionals, to participate, and even if they were willing, they would never give medical advice or weigh in on medical situations, or even participate in discussions about specific situations under these circumstances. 

As difficult and frustrating as it is to have to share our personal information with someone, for example, we might consider to be malicious and ignorant, it is the nature of having an online forum. Restricting access is, in my opinion, counter to our purpose and goals. But, regardless, that's something administration would have to take into consideration.  

I'm not initially saying doctors would be here. What I'm suggesting is that you and a "team" would be in a kind of "moderators" area rather than in a public space.  The problem now is that you and others with any involvement in talking to patients have to think about what this looks like.  Really serious issues and personal support, I think we've learned, should be done in a calm and stress free environment, away from prying eyes of people who can't be trusted.  

It's not a competitive thing either.  I just can't post here now after being sucked in to that nightmare.  I don't want my affairs splashed around the internet anymore but advice from people here is something I value and this whole medication trip is still just getting on the road.  Meds are tricky things. Does one change meds, take gabapentin as well?  Some here are using it.  Why?  I'd like to know why.  But that shouldn't mean one has to post here knowing that someone malevolent is sitting at his desk watching every word you type day in day out.

• Like 1