The End of my Addiction
Nicnak

Baclofen and tension

Nicnak

I'm on 160mg a day and indifferent but getting increasing tention.Ie in my neck and shoulders,even generally in my body (can't seem to relax) I think that is what the constipation is all about as well.Its gotten so bad that I'm looking for solutions in medication(maybe ordering diazepam (obviously I'm quite scared about taking this) but I seriously need some relief.Hopefully someone can offer some more holistic remedy for me.im at 3 months now and feel it's a bit early to start titrating down

Thanks in advance 

Felina

Hi Nicnak,

There are a number of supplements and meds for anxiety that would be preferable to diazepam. I'm sure @Jetsman32 will have a lot of suggestions for you too. But there are two supplements that really help with anxiety: passion flower extract and l-theanine.

A summary of passion flower extract uses with links to many studies on its effectiveness: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/passionflower

And check out this double blind comparison of l-theanine to Xanax!  http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2007/8/report_stress_anxiety/page-02

I know I've brought it up to you before, but I am also a huge believer in beta blockers now. I take 5-10 mgs or propranolol whenever I find myself feeling overly anxious and the results have been amazing. Really helps with social anxiety! 

• Like 2

Nicnak

Thanks Felina,will research all those.

Am getting desperate that's why I mentioned diazepam but to be honest I've never taken anything stronger than paracetamol.Never even tried recreational drugs,just alcohol!

I like the idea of the beta blocker but I'm already on 10mg blood pressure tablets and due to go back next week to see if that's worked and if not they will have to prescribe something to go along side the ramipril ad 10mg is the maximum dose and even at 7.5mg my blood pressure and only come down to 146/96

• Like 1

Felina
2 hours ago, Nicnak said:

I like the idea of the beta blocker but I'm already on 10mg blood pressure tablets and due to go back next week to see if that's worked and if not they will have to prescribe something to go along side the ramipril ad 10mg is the maximum dose and even at 7.5mg my blood pressure and only come down to 146/96

I think that's all the more reason to ask for propranolol when you go in next week!  Beta blockers can also help reduce your blood pressure.

• Like 1

Mom2JTx3
On September 17, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Felina said:

A summary of passion flower extract uses with links to many studies on its effectiveness: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/passionflower

And check out this double blind comparison of l-theanine to Xanax!  http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2007/8/report_stress_anxiety/page-02

I know I've brought it up to you before, but I am also a huge believer in beta blockers now. I take 5-10 mgs or propranolol whenever I find myself feeling overly anxious and the results have been amazing. Really helps with social anxiety! 

Thanks!  Off to buy some l-theanine for the dh (and me!).  

Baclofenman
On 17/09/2016 at 3:18 PM, Nicnak said:

my blood pressure and only come down to 146/96

Jeez, that is high Nianak

I have just come off 5mg of Amlodipine as my last BP was 121/68 - I am still on 10mg of Ramipril daily, although on reflection I am not sure why - AFAIK the top figure can go up and down with anxiety but the bottom one is more important as it is a reflection of the pressure in the arteries (I think)

Slightly off track, I have been on Pravastatin having changed Statins for the third time - Simvastatins made me over tired and Atorvastatin made my muscles hurt

Regards

Bacman

Jetsman32

Hi Nicnak- Felina had it right. I am a huge proponent of non-addictive herbal supplements to ease anxiety. As @Felina mentioned, I am a fan of Passion Flower. However, you can't just take any Passion Flower and expect to get results. The brand I use is below. The suggested use is 3 caps but I take 4 and it tends to do the trick:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007WSWPZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also like to take Varerian Root. Varerian Root is also used as a sleep aid. If you have anxiety I suggest taking it 30-45 minutes before bed.

And of course, Chamomile Tea! I find that a single tea bag does nothing for me. I suggest using two - it is incredibly cheap. I usually use two bags in very hot water and let it steep for at least 10 minutes. It's incredibly soothing!

I don't think you can order Diazepam online- although I could be wrong- it is a scheduled drug though. However, it's easy to get a benzo script from most any doctor (most don't prescribe Valium anymore- there are better options) In terms of strength of Benzo's here is what I found (from weakest to strongest)

1) Diazepam (Valium)- kicks in fast and generally lasts 6-8 hours in my experience.

2) Ativan- shorter half life but stronger- lasts 2-4 hours

3) Klonopin- Fairly strong- lasts 5-7 hours (this is what I use as needed)

4) Xanax- VERY Strong- high likely hood for dependency (many find it makes them high). Kicks in almost immediately. Short half life, 1-3 hours max.

If you are seeking a script (and you doctor doesn't know about your alcoholism), just tell them you have been getting panic attacks and have general anxiety. If they try to give you Xanax- stay away. Tell them you had a friend that got addicted to it and you'd be looking for something a bit milder. Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Nicnak

@Baclofenman

I was told in my early 20's that my blood pressure was on the upper side of normal and I shouldn't put in any weight ect.That was when I was 8stone.Fast forward 25 years and I'd put on nearly 5 stone mostly due to wine and the food I ate with it.Since being indifferent I have lost 2 stone and have been walking an hour a day so hopefully this will have some impact.

All other tests and cholesterol are good

@Jetsman32

My GP knows all about my alcoholism so doubt they will prescribe me anything addictable so will check out the other things you recommend 

Baclofenman
28 minutes ago, Nicnak said:

@Baclofenman

I was told in my early 20's that my blood pressure was on the upper side of normal and I shouldn't put in any weight ect.That was when I was 8stone.Fast forward 25 years and I'd put on nearly 5 stone mostly due to wine and the food I ate with it.Since being indifferent I have lost 2 stone and have been walking an hour a day so hopefully this will have some impact.

Wow - Awesome news on the two stone - Girls gotta get some new schmutter

28 minutes ago, Nicnak said:

My GP knows all about my alcoholism so doubt they will prescribe me anything addictable so will check out the other things you recommend 

I know they will not prescribe so I assume they know you self medicate with Baclofen?

I would certainly cross check anything that is prescribed, if I were you

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

Nicnak

No they don't know.I told them last year but didn't get a good reaction so I stopped  taking it because u had lost my switch due to going down to fast worrying about a new shipment coming so went through the whole alcoholic thing (it's called signpost where I am) and they eventually prescribed me Nalmefene which is what my GP thinks I'm using now but in the meantime I tried Baclofen again and it worked again.Ive since heard not great things about Nalmefene.

• Like 1

Molly78
15 hours ago, Felina said:

@Molly78 you are right, the study itself wasn't as impressive. Sorry about that! I did find another study that supported the use of l-theanine for anxiety.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16930802

Thanks, Felina.  That study led me to several others which also found benefits for l-theanine.

Jets post above is interesting in that he  takes a number of supplements at much higher doses than recommended ("go large or go home" eh Jets?) & gets a good response.

Ne has wisely pointed out that those of us who are medicated with bac & other stuff, are much less likely to respond to supplements than the medication naive.  Maybe we just need to take bigger doses?

• Like 2

Felina

36 minutes ago, Molly78 said:

Ne has wisely pointed out that those of us who are medicated with bac & other stuff, are much less likely to respond to supplements than the medication naive.  Maybe we just need to take bigger doses?

True, @Molly78, especially with baclofen. I tried to take phenibut recently and found it colossally ineffective.

Felina

Report!

I just today got a shipment of l-theanine from Puritan's Pride (www.puritan.com). And it couldn't have come at a better time. I was extremely stressed and agitated after going to a seminar that went on foreeeeeeeever. I'm normally pretty calm (thanks to bac). However, certain things still drive me batshit crazy, and interminable talkers who keep you in a meeting long past its scheduled end time would definitely qualify as one of those things. Anyway, I took two l-theanine right after I got home.  And I've gotta say: this shit WORKS. I felt a very distinct non-sedating calm. I have found that l-theanine worked much better for me than the passion flower extract pills I've taken, although I haven't experimented with higher dosages of passion flower. 

I think the l-theanine and the propranolol will be my go-to supps/drugs for anxiety going forward. 

• Like 1

Jetsman32

Hey all! @Nicnak I don't know any other brands. Are you just unable to order from Amazon? Please remind me, are you in the US or overseas? Just make sure you look for Passion Flower Extract- that is the key. The stuff they sell at Walmart does not work. The VitaminShop usually has some great bands just stick with pills- not tinctures or liquids. Don't discount the Chamomile Tea though! 30 bags are like $3 at WalMart. 2 bags steeped for 10 minutes will really help to ease your tension and mellow you out.

@Molly78 You are definitely getting to know me- Go Big or Go Home!  I always go at least 1 pill above the serving size. That's just me I guess. Why lie- haha.

@Felina I was addicted to Phenibut before I started on Baclofen. That's why I was able to titrate up so quickly. Since honesty is my new creed I'll be honest here. I still use Phenibut roughly 1-2 times per week- always at least 4 days apart. Phenibut still works for me, but I have to take at least 4 grams to get the effects. This is because Baclofen and Phenibut both act on Gaba B receptors so you need a mega dose to get a response. I'm happy L-Theanine is working for you. For me Passion Flower was always my go-to. However, I also have a ready supply of L-Theanine. Sometimes I'll take 2-3 caps of Passion Flower with 1 tab of L-Theanine. Seems to do the trick every time! My new "drug of choice" is Gabapentin. For some it does nothing but for me it gives me a feeling of slight euphoria plus eases all social anxiety. I would take it every day if I could but with my addictive personality I'm not going to do that!

• Like 1

Felina

@Nicnak, I bought 200 mg capsules and took two. I wonder if Puritan has different formularies for the UK? Weird that it isn't showing up for you.

Molly78

Nicnak, Amazon.co.uk sell 200 mg caps & 400 mg caps.  I've just ordered the 400 mg, assuming I will need a higher dose given the other stuff I'm on.

Nicnak

Thanks,I've found the 400mg ones but to get free delivery I need to spend over £20 so looking about for the other supplements I need >>>>>>>>>>

MJM
On 25 September 2016 at 6:47 AM, Nicnak said:

Just ordered I-theanine 400mg and magnesium 

So have I!

• Like 1

Nicnak

Uuuggghhh,psyllium husk is VILE,it's like eating wallpaper paste.But I'm getting it down me m.Its says one level tablespoon?

Im taking one 400mg L-theanine and 200mg of magnesium,are these the right amounts?

Mom2JTx3
5 hours ago, Nicnak said:

My doc didn't tell me to take,just people on here recommended it

Ne's doc did.. Hopefully she'll weigh in.

Mom2JTx3

@Nicnak  I found this under the thread about this 'issue' under the holistic forum :)

From Ne:  Oh, and about the Magnesium? 250mg first thing in the morning with my coffee, for 3 days, and now everything's completely back to normal without any more interference. 

I wonder what the max is that you can take?

• Like 1