Dooieac360

- Struggling with Cocaine/Alchol Addiction

Dooieac360

Hi all- I'm new to this forum. I've been addicted to using cocaine when I drink for the past 13 years or so. 31 years old. I'm looking for anyone who has had a similar experience.  I'll be honest, I"m not necessarily looking to stop drinking, but I absolutely have to stop using cocaine. It's killing me. I only use when I drink and it's the triggers that do it for me- psychosocial. I have read some of the research on this at NIH re: baclofen use for cocaine. 

I go out likely 3-4 times a week, not necessarily always getting drunk. However, 90% of the time I use cocaine when I drink. I"m so ready to be done. I"m in a 12 step program- 5 steps in and am looking for additional assistance. Any advice is appreciated. I definitely suffer from anxiety. Again, the triggers are what do it for me. When I go on vacation, I can quit using because the environment is so different and obviously its hard to get. 

Has anyone ever dealt with this specific type of addiction and had success with using baclofen to curtail and quit it? Thank you so much. Incredibly glad I found this forum. I currently have been taking baclofen on occasion when I go out and have noticed a difference, but I have never taken more than 40 MG at a time. I feel like I need to up my dosage when I go out. The research I have seen was about 60 MG. I know other people struggle with this addiction so I am hoping that my experience will result in help for other people. It's tough and there is no existing medical treatment out there currently for any form of cocaine addiction, especially cocaine/alcohol addiction that comes from the production of cocaethylene in the liver. 

Thank you all. 

Dooie 

Mom2JTx3

@Dooieac360 I googled "Baclofen cocaine" and multiple articles came up.  I'm sorry I can't speak to your experience exactly, but if I were you I would follow the Baclofen prescribing guide until you lose the cocaine trigger.  You can find it here You will need register or log in to read this content

i take a lot of Baclofen for alcoholism and have become indifferent to AL.  I recently had open abdominal surgery. I was on oxy for two weeks.  In the past I could see how people could become addicted to pain pills and I really enjoyed them.  This time, I couldn't have cared less about them.  It may be that Bac would do the same thing for your cocain use.

Good luck!

• Like 3

empyr3al

Cocaine made my drinking worse.  I used to have mirrors of it sitting in my closets, balls, half balls, whatever. When I decided I needed to stop that day or weekend I would try to sleep because I had a profession to be able to pay for it.  People have climbed my roof and cut themselves on the gutters knocking on upstairs windows trying to ask for another line while I decided enough was enough.  Cocaine was fun for me but the addiction never really stuck.  Actually, I could say it's when my dealer gave me crap and I decided i didn't want it anymore because it gave me a headache.  Bad drugs can sometimes kick you off the addiction.  Kind of like switching one booze for another and not being happy.  All I'm gonna say about it is that I could drink indefinitely on cocaine and I blame it for making me alcoholic.  So the warning I have (opinion, not a doctor) is now that you have learned to drink using cocaine.  The alcohol could really become a problem.   I'm no doctor I just speak of experience.  I was about your age when I quit cocaine, maybe a bit younger.  It was not hard; i over drank it which leads to me having another issue, AL.

So use some bad coke and get over it.  Just don't do what I did to replace it.

Because I'm off cocaine for so long it's irrelevant.  More than 10 years.  Other than the maybe my brain utilizes dopamine which coke kicks way outta the park.  I cannot tell you what BAC does.  If you try, let me know because I'm extremely interested.

Dooieac360

I definitely will. I have been going through therapy and a 12 step program (not AA or CA which requires complete abstinence from all mind-altering drugs, including alcohol). I have made remarkable progress in terms of the mental side of the addiction. I even put down the

vitamins and BAC because it finally "clicked" why I was using. This helped a lot but I am convinced there is a strong physical addiction to the drug- that is linked to drinking. I have quit using before and was still able to go out and drink.

I saw improvements after the "click" but I never fully got off the blow. And as time went on, expecting to see complete sobriety from the drug, I began to develop back into the same mindset of pre-"click". The guilt, usage, and condemnation cycle took over. I was chatting with my Mom a few days ago and she asked me about the physical aspect. I am getting back on the BAC and will continue to use it until I see a full recovery and sobriety from blow.

Thanks for your interest. I was literally coming back onto the site to look at the directions for taking the med. When I was using the BAC and still drinking, I did see improvements BTW.

I will report back as time progresses.

empyr3al
1 hour ago, Dooieac360 said:

I definitely will. I have been going through therapy and a 12 step program (not AA or CA which requires complete abstinence from all mind-altering drugs, including alcohol). I have made remarkable progress in terms of the mental side of the addiction. I even put down the

vitamins and BAC because it finally "clicked" why I was using. This helped a lot but I am convinced there is a strong physical addiction to the drug- that is linked to drinking. I have quit using before and was still able to go out and drink.

I saw improvements after the "click" but I never fully got off the blow. And as time went on, expecting to see complete sobriety from the drug, I began to develop back into the same mindset of pre-"click". The guilt, usage, and condemnation cycle took over. I was chatting with my Mom a few days ago and she asked me about the physical aspect. I am getting back on the BAC and will continue to use it until I see a full recovery and sobriety from blow.

Thanks for your interest. I was literally coming back onto the site to look at the directions for taking the med. When I was using the BAC and still drinking, I did see improvements BTW.

- I use vitamins because of alcohol addiction; B1 is important. If you are like me and read everything (which apparently you have if you figured out where this place is).  You know what alcohol and cocaine do.  Not a ton of research on cocaine unfortunately.  Though I have heard stories of people hitting the exact amount of BAC that it solved the issue.  More made it worse, less still addicted.  Hitting the spot was apparently hard for this individual.  I've only learned this second hand from comments in the 3 rehabs I've been too.  Honestly some days I have so little energy I wish I had a rail to do.  There are other drugs like i have in my cupboard like Adderall but I will not take it because I know the penalties.  I wish you the best and thanks for coming back to the forum.  Look forward to maybe some good insights.  I also used real MDMA for about 5 years, 15 years ago.   CBT programs did a ton for me.

Dooieac360

I wanted to follow up on this.

i have just completed a 27 day stretch of sobriety from cocaine while still being able to drink. This has been and remains my goal. I accomplished this through the use of the Sinclair Method with naltrxerone and modafinil. Last night was the first time I used and unfortunately I believe it was because I did not wait the full hour before drinking. That being said, 27 days is nothing short of miraculous for me. I haven't had that in 13+ years and haven't felt this good about life in a long time with such a positive outlook on the future and hope for full self-control over my desires and actions. 

• Like 6

Dooieac360

Thank you for checking in. I continue to take the naltrex before going out. Since my last post in July, I have used five times. I am at about 80 percent in terms of going out and drinking without using. One big factor has been the lack of modafinil. I stopped taking it just about the time of my last post as I ran out of the supply. Of course, my Doctor prescribed it to me but my insurance would not approve it. I just re-ordered online. I am hoping to get back on a much fuller usage. I have done quite a bit of research on the cocaine deprivation effect- it can be easy to go one, two weeks without using but then it comes back fairly strong. It can take up to 6 months to really clear the stuff out and give your brain a chance to reset. I will be getting back on the modafinil and hope to see much more improvements.

I am also still continung to explore the emotional side of the issue. The child abuse from my father and the shame that came from it has really been a big part of why I use and abuse myself. I'm learning to deal with that shame through compassion on myself. This is a process- longer than I would like it to be, but I'm batting much higher than I was just three months ago. Healthy pride here on that one. Thanks for checking in. I hope to update in a few months with full sobriety from cocaine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Baclofenman
On 9/5/2017 at 5:50 PM, Dooieac360 said:

I am also still continung to explore the emotional side of the issue. The child abuse from my father and the shame that came from it has really been a big part of why I use and abuse myself. I'm learning to deal with that shame through compassion on myself. This is a process- longer than I would like it to be, but I'm batting much higher than I was just three months ago. Healthy pride here on that one. Thanks for checking in. I hope to update in a few months with full sobriety from cocaine.

Wow - That is powerful - I do hope you get to exorcise this demon

Regards

Bacman