The End of my Addiction
NawlinsLady

When to take 5-HTP?

NawlinsLady

Hello all! I am confused as to timing of the supplement 5-HTP. It some places, I have read that the supplement is recommended to be taken at bedtime and also not within 6 hours of drinking. I want to take 5-HTP to help decrease my cravings for alcohol, but I don't want to end up with Seratonin Syndrome. 

I am not a day drinker, so I'm figuring I should take my 5-HTP in the morning, in the hopes that I won't want to drink (as much) later.

Some background on me... I have used Bac and Nal to no avail. I am new to this site, but was on MWO for sometime a couple years back. My addiction consists of 2-3 drinks on Sun, Tue, Thu and a lot more (approx 1 - 1 1/2 bottles of wine) on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat. :( This is far too much for me.

Thanks for reading,

NawlinsLady

Molly78

Welcome @NawlinsLady!

I'm not the expert on 5-HTP.  I tried it because it was recommended on this site by several people for sleep, but it didn't help me sleep& didn't even make me drowsy (L-tryptophan was a bit more successful in that respect).  I have been taking it during the day, hoping it might act as a mood enhancer because of its serotinergic (is that a word?) properties, but I can't say I've noticed a difference, & just realised I've forgotten to take it now for several days!

I don't think you will get serotonin syndrome unless you are taking other medications which elevate serotonin, as 5-HTP only has a fairly brief effect.  But don't take my word for it - someone who knows more will be along in a minute.

• Like 1

NawlinsLady

Hi Molly78! Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I started taking my 5-HTP in the mornings. I am honestly not sure that it's doing anything. I also read that it could help with my sleep, but have not tried it in that application. 

FWIW, I don't take any other medications that elevate serotonin. I may have been concerned for no reason. I went back and re-read the threads that caused my concern and, I now see that they are on a site where illegal drug use is discussed. I don't use any drugs... aside from TOO MUCH ALCOHOL. LOL

Have a great day!