Ne1

Gut Health and Info

Ne1    1,138
Ne1

Hi y'all. I'm venturing back into supplements and nutrition to try to combat fatigue and brain fog. I never get very far, because I am very undisciplined about food--eat based on rabid hunger and/or craving. But I'm exhausted all the time, and I've ruled out just about everything except diet and GI health. This podcast was really compelling for me. Maybe I was just in the right place to hear it, or maybe it's really as important as I think it is.

You will need register or log in to read this content

If you don't have time for the whole thing, check out the second story.

You will need register or log in to read this content

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir, since most of the people who are going to visit this area probably know way more about this stuff than I do. But it's still a great podcast. What's not to love about Radiolab? 

• Like 1

SKendall    223
SKendall

Hi Ne, sorry about the constant fatigue.

I have found Taurine with a healthy dose of B12 to be energizing and clear minded.

• Like 2

BarrelChested    216
BarrelChested

@Ne1 You're not alone; we all mess-up, we all "know better..." and yet act to sabotage our goals. Aside from booze, my one "bad habit" is coffee. I've gone as long as a seven months without it (and had a few other long periods of abstinence). Alas, I just love the aroma and the flavor. HOWEVER, I do know that I have far more energy/etc without caffeine (the day starts slowly... but there isn't the post-coffee crash... and then the sine wave of consumption). So...

Cut-out sugar and all sweeteners. Carbs cause cravings and fatigue. Eat real foods. Sweet potatoes (regular) and organic apples are good for your gut and slow-burning. Onions and garlic are good for your gut, as are crucifierous (e.g., broccoli) vegetables.

I did this: You will need register or log in to read this content

It's a summarized/for-dummies diet based on Sarah Ballantyne's work (The Paleo Approach). It really changed my life -- dramatically and overwhelmingly positively.  After so many years (decades) of being a health nut, I finally figured-out what had caused me so much pain and suffering. I had a lot of bleeding (and I'm male; do the math). So, I was pretty "motivated" to be disciplined about the diet -- to give an honest effort.

On 4/27/2017 at 4:50 PM, Ne1 said:

I never get very far, because I am very undisciplined about food--eat based on rabid hunger and/or craving. But I'm exhausted all the time,

I was really surprised that when I fixed my diet -- and ate EXCLUSIVELY "real" food -- my appetite became smaller and my energy improved. Everyone is different. I wish you luck!

Oh, and regarding my favorite subject (um, "me")... well, I'll make a post on "my" thread.

• Like 1

Ne1    1,138
Ne1

Thanks, @SKendall. I take a lot of b-vitamins. Interestingly, though, my last blood test showed that I was in low-normal range. (Of course, it was a fasting blood test, and B-vitamins are highly soluble. But still.) The stuff I take is REALLY high dose, and I've been taking it regularly. Still haven't gotten around to taking the rest of the blood tests I need to have to see if the fatigue is hormone or thyroid or something more nefarious. Probably not. My genetic constitution is pretty remarkable. I got a very high chance of being addicted to alcohol, and living a very long life with all my organs in tact. Mind, too, though I'm doubting that given how scattered I already am in my 40s. ;)

@BarrelChested still not ready, willing or able to take the plunge into an elimination diet, though I think it would be hugely beneficial. I just...can't. It's too hard, she whines, while ingesting yet another Kind bar. I'm pretty good about eating 'healthy', though I'm not completely abstinent of processed sugars. I go for several days without and then, BAM!, it's off to 7-11 with a craving for Reese's peanut butter cups that overwhelms to the point of blindness. 

My therapists new thing is that I should do a 3-day liquid fast. Bone broth and juiced vegetables and whatnot. I don't know, actually. Any suggestions? 

In the meantime, I'm taking L-glutamine, when I remember. B-vitamins, vitamin D (lots), calcium, some other stuff that's supposed to be good for people with alcoholism, (they're called NAC and Methly-protect from Xymogen labs), collagen peptides, MCT oil, L-tryptophan for sleeping when I need it, and what else? Baclofen, gabapentin PRN, an antidepressant and a statin. I should be taking CoQ10 for the statin, but haven't gotten around to it. 

Now here's something I'll mention in a couple of places. I've been taking the collagen peptides for more than a month now. My fingernails are annoyingly long and hard. I wasn't taking them for the purpose of hair and nail growth, read something a while back, and for whatever reason decided they were a must-have. (My concerns are gut-health, so it must have had something to do with that.) I stopped taking the collagen about 5 days ago. Now here's the thing. I was filing my nails a little while ago, and couldn't get comfortable because my hips ache. I've got sciatica and some lower back issues. My hips used to ache all the time, then suddenly, for no reason, they stopped. It hurts badly enough that I was taking aspirin or ibuprofen daily, especially before bed, and the ache in my legs often woke me up. But for weeks now, nothing. Until a couple of days ago. And I put it together! It's the collagen. It's the only thing that's different. Y'all who know me know I am very skeptical of supplements. I take them only because I'm desperate for some solutions to what I perceive as poor gut health and on-going depression. But the collagen? No question. Since there's been a number of people ( @SKendall, @Molly78, @DunDrinkn) who have mentioned muscle or joint related aches and pains, I thought I'd mention it. Again and again and again. 

More questions for you peeps, but I'm going to start a new thread...

• Like 3

SKendall    223
SKendall

Ne, I need to eliminate ice cream, chocolate bars, etc.  I don't think I can and I'm not sure if I want to.  If I was after sugat in alcohol, I'm doing the same thing (hypoglycemic).

I read today how cod liver oil is amazing for arthritis.  I had to take it every day when I was a kid, along with malt and rosehip syrup.  I never had colds, flu or anything until I was 15.  I have nothing to lose and lots to gain.  After my spine surgery which was excellent I am now left with a pinched sacroiliac nerve which is with me all the rest of my life.  Dang, I asked for P.T. and he blew me off.  I now have to work with a pain manager.  I am on fentanyl patches, I've had the cortisone block (useless) and now just sucking it up.

• Like 1

Felina    384
Felina
On 6/12/2017 at 11:29 AM, Ne1 said:

In the meantime, I'm taking L-glutamine, when I remember. B-vitamins, vitamin D (lots), calcium, some other stuff that's supposed to be good for people with alcoholism, (they're called NAC and Methly-protect from Xymogen labs), collagen peptides, MCT oil, L-tryptophan for sleeping when I need it, and what else? Baclofen, gabapentin PRN, an antidepressant and a statin. I should be taking CoQ10 for the statin, but haven't gotten around to it. 

Now here's something I'll mention in a couple of places. I've been taking the collagen peptides for more than a month now. My fingernails are annoyingly long and hard. I wasn't taking them for the purpose of hair and nail growth, read something a while back, and for whatever reason decided they were a must-have. (My concerns are gut-health, so it must have had something to do with that.) I stopped taking the collagen about 5 days ago. Now here's the thing. I was filing my nails a little while ago, and couldn't get comfortable because my hips ache. I've got sciatica and some lower back issues. My hips used to ache all the time, then suddenly, for no reason, they stopped. It hurts badly enough that I was taking aspirin or ibuprofen daily, especially before bed, and the ache in my legs often woke me up. But for weeks now, nothing. Until a couple of days ago. And I put it together! It's the collagen. It's the only thing that's different. Y'all who know me know I am very skeptical of supplements. I take them only because I'm desperate for some solutions to what I perceive as poor gut health and on-going depression. But the collagen? No question.

@Ne1, I just read this post. Don't know how I missed it before. Your supplement list is so very close to mine. I also take B-vitamins, D, NAC (which is one of my favorite new ones this year), collagen, MCT oil, CoQ10 and my trusty old L-tryptophan. Isn't that strange? Anyway, I'm glad to see that the supplements are helping! :)

Collagen peptides have been another new one for me this year. I mostly gravitated to them because I'm almost 50 and freaking out about all the facial changes that come with aging. So cool it's helping with the hip and back issues.