Daybreak

Booking appointment this week

Daybreak

Hi all, I'm new to this, saw something on Facebook earlier today and thought I'll give this a go. I've been drinking heavily  for 20 years, 2 bottles of wine a night, I love my wine but don't love the cost or the morning after feeling! I'm hoping I can still have the odd glass but I'll see how it goes :/ I'm 53 and female 

Molly78

Welcome @Daybreak!  Who are you booking an appointment with?  Most of us (not all) on this site are treating ourselves  with meds bought online.  However there are definitely docs in Aus who prescribe baclofen, if that's what you're after.  Keep us posted.

Daybreak

Hi Dr Peter Connor Cambridge clinic in Perth he bulk bills  :))) didn't know you could buy online? Do you need a prescription? Thanks 

Daybreak

Is it hard to self medicate? knowing what dosage etc. if you buy online? thanks in advance

StuckinLA

Hi @Daybreak, welcome! Here's the prescribing guide for baclofen, useful for self-medicating and/or for taking with you to your physician:

• Thanks 3

Baclofenman
19 hours ago, Daybreak said:

Hi Dr Peter Connor Cambridge clinic in Perth he bulk bills  :))) didn't know you could buy online? Do you need a prescription? Thanks 

You are in Perth? - Seriously!

If so you are on the doorstep of the latest light in Baclofen treatment

You will need register or log in to read this content

You will need register or log in to read this content

Regards

Bacman

• Thanks 1

Daybreak

Yes I am :) love your website! Extremely helpful thank you fingers crossed it works for me

• Thanks 2

Baclofenman
11 minutes ago, Daybreak said:

Yes I am :) love your website! Extremely helpful thank you fingers crossed it works for me

I just wish she was British :(

Regards

Bacman

• Haha 2

empyr3al

@Daybreak, Little late for me to comment, but I figured I'd spend some time writing to you.  That Gabapentin makes me chatty lol.

If you still want to enjoy wine once in a while.  Naltrexone.  Baclofen is more for not having interest in wine when you hit the switch, which is seeking abstinence and lack of interest in drink.  You still get drunk if you drink wine and more so even as its sedating.  You might want to look more at Naltrexone and Dr. Sinclair's extinction method where wine would lose its appeal other than flavor, tad of a buzz and you would not drink so much of it.  You still get sick if you drink too much and you can get drunk by essentially drinking excessively; its just not the enjoyment you would get from the buzz of wine.  Stumbling, loss of memory, reckless behavior, saying things you don't mean to say, etc still occur.  You can still have all the nasty things from every med there is dealing with alcohol if you as you said you are hoping to have more than a couple glasses of wine now and then.  Naltrexone and Nalmefene are substantially more expensive than these other ones unless you require lots of baclofen (which is only really effective or of purpose to use to obtain the switch or indifference to drinking wine or any AL in my opinion).  Naltrexone without drug insurance will not save you money though as you indicated in your initial post.  You take it 1 to 2 hours before you drink wine.  One main negative thing about Naltrexone and especially Nalmefene... Pain killers that are opiod based given say after a bad car accident or fall are nearly useless.  So accidents and pain management become complicated.

Thats what I've learned from reading about the most common on/off label drugs.  * $ are Canadian cost comparisons and approved use.

Naltrexone ($$$, anti buzz, effective, can over drink it if you want the buzz of AL and you would feel like sh*t the next day, doesn't really stop cravings)
Nalmefene ($$?, UK approved, US approved?, not in Canada so I haven't studied it much, doesn't really stop cravings)
Campral ($$$, repair med for post acute withdrawal, no AL involved, useless otherwise, doesn't stop cravings)
Mirtazapine ($, off-label, antidepressant w/ influence on interest in drinking or seeking it, you get sleepy and eat more, so you gain weight)
Baclofen ($-$$$, off-label, used to seek indifference to alcohol, more so for seeking abstinence, sedating initially, sedating if you drink, govt limits quantity here)
Gabapentin ($, off-label, cheap, anti craving, anti interest in AL, extra's are anti seizure, anti muscle spasm, anti anxiety but you'd get wasted quick on it, can replace Valium for AWS. Kidneys and not liver are a perk)
Pregabalin ($$, off-label, lyrica, sedating and very similar to gabapentin, drunk quicker if you drink, haven't done much research myself)
Topiramate (?$, off-label, haven't researched much, so no comments)
Benzo's (dun dun dun, not recommended to go that route unless you are doing the 72 hour journey to abstinence, highly addictive)

Everyone is different with different agendas, goals and brain chemistry (and influences and legality and drug coverage).

I use Naltrexone, Campral, Mirazapine and Gabapentin <- that one for me toppled the switch.  I am abstinent and don't choose to drink but if I did want to drink I would choose Naltrexone by itself with maybe Mirtazapine to take down anxiety regarding alcohol.  I would slowly end up reducing intake inadvertently without the impact of becoming sleepy, disoriented, etc.  Sedating CNS (Central Nervous System depressants) would be out as they would just make me exhibit drunken behavior more quickly.  Not at all against any of them per say, just that's how they work.

I would suggest you avoid anything such as cheap wine and sherry with sulfites in it as at 2 bottles that can become nasty quickly (I know from experience, 2 750ml bottles of sherry a night, worst thing ever).  Sulfites are used to preserve wine and are toxic to your body in large amounts.  Bottles are often labelled if required by law (as it is in Canada).  B1 is depleted if you drink a lot so supplements can help.

Just some quick tips that you would find searching any of these by googling a variety of websites on and off label uses.  I'd suggest if you are using any medications at all already that you use drugs.com (interactions checker) and webmd.com and look at some quick runs downs on them.  Remember to use google terms on some of them like "offlabel", "off-label" as some are not approved.  Unknown to most Pristiq, desvenlafaxine shows increase in AL use.  A phone app I use Medisafe works quite well to cross check and give you instructions on how to use them.  Handy reminder tool as well.

I wrote quite a bit on Flixy's thread, indicated you know eachother?

**** NOT a doctor!  Anyone please comment if I made a mistake in describing any of them.

Edited by empyr3al

Daybreak

Wow thank you so much for taking the time to write to me an share your knowledge! Much appreciated :)

Daybreak

I was put on 5mg 3 times a day baclofen and 50mg once a day Naltrexone, I started Friday 29/09 halved my doses due to side effects feeling a lot better now so will increase in a few days,

If there a reason I would be on both and not just one medication didn't think to ask! Maybe a placebo but sure its effecting me already!

Thanks

StuckinLA

Hi @Daybreak, I think it's a little spaghetti-at-the-wall still at this point as far as why they'd prescribe both. But that's been a popular combo over the years. One way to think of it is - if you're still drinking - the nal is working to de-addict your brain (The Sinclair Method) while you drink, until the bac gives you indifference. Kind of a one-two punch, if you will. 

StuckinLA

At first I misread your post as "bac and gabapentin" - that's also been a popular combination.

empyr3al
1 hour ago, StuckinLA said:

At first I misread your post as "bac and gabapentin" - that's also been a popular combination.

Wow that combo would space me out beyond usability.