Felina

Checking in - October

Felina    384
Felina

Happy October, everybody! Let's all have a safe and sober month. What's going on in your world?

Also, just FYI I created a Checking In thread on the My Way Out board too. Seems silly, I know, but I just hate seeing the medication section languish over there. Feel free to stop by and post something :)

• Like 1

Nicnak    403
Nicnak

Hi felina,how long did it take for you to get back on track with baclofen 

Felina    384
Felina

Hi @Nicnak - I hit my switch at 190 mgs/day back in 2011 and stayed close to my switch dose for a month or so, but then titrated down WAY too fast and promptly relapsed. I spent a period of time in 2011/2012 experimenting with different dosages, but eventually settled at 140 mgs/day and stayed there for years. At that dose, I had an "off switch" and was able to drink moderately, but I wouldn't say I was truly indifferent. I went down to 120 mgs/day in January of this year. I definitely noticed a difference - alcohol tasted better to me. Instead of titrating back up I have been going for longer AF stretches and really found that I like myself better AF. Even small amounts of alcohol affect my mood and sleep for 24-48 hours afterwards. I don't see myself going below 120 anytime soon. I may actually go back up a little bit, because it felt safer to me.

Where are you on your baclofen journey now? I know you said you were going back up. I really hope it works for you. <3

• Like 2

Nicnak    403
Nicnak

Hi @Felina 

im at 175mg a day now and definetly drinking less but still on 1 to 1.5 bottles of wine a day but really want that elusive switch.

Before when I switched it was emmediate,from drinking about 3 bottles one day to nothing the next

• Like 1

StuckinLA    953
StuckinLA

Hello all and hope everyone is doing well out there. Can't believe it's October already - thanks for starting the check-in thread, @Felina. Here's to a sober month, or sober-ish, or whatever just all the best with your goals. Hope the switch comes soon for you, @Nicnak.

• Like 2

Molly78    761
Molly78

A mixed start to October for me.  I decided to up my bac dose to see if I could find this mythical "switch".  I have remained sober on about 14 units/week. but found that I was still after 4+ years mentally counting units & I decided I wanted to be free of this permanently.

So.  I went up from 160 mg by about 10 mg every 3 days to 200 mg.  At that point I couldn't sleep, my back hurt & I had to take modafinil to function during the day.  I was certainly indifferent, but suspect that might have been because even the most miniscule amount of alcohol during the day would be disastrous if you're falling asleep on your feet.  And then I ended up using alcohol at night to help me finally fall asleep!  Overall a disastrous experiment.

I probably went up too fast, but thought after so many years on bac that I was fairly resistant to the SE.  Anyway, now I'm going back down again by 10 mg every 3 days.  I haven't been at 200 mg for more than about 3 days in total so I think I can safely go back down again by the same method.

I plan to stay at 160 for a while while I get my equilibrium back, then titrate down very slowly!  I need to give my back a chance to improve.

Anyone heard from Ne?  Seems a long time since she was here.

• Like 2

empyr3al    77
empyr3al

@StuckinLA squirrels mean confusion.  Squirrel... what?  where?  My dog keeps 6 for squirrels because i unfortunately taught it that.  Mind you we have no squirrels except eating walnuts.  Years ago we had 3 dozen.

Ne1 I have no idea.

Edited by empyr3al
  • Like 2

Nicnak    403
Nicnak

Going up to 200mg tomorrow.Im pretty much used to bac whilst titrating up and didn’t really get any SE’s till about 150mg But now falling asleep at the drop of a hat and snoring a lot.My hubby doesn’t really like me being on bac as he’s worried about it me We I’ve been a bit weird on it in the past so didn’t tell him that I was starting on it again but had to come clean becaus of the snoring etc.I have a very stuffy nose annoying,embarrassing tickley cough.

I do wonder that maybe my lack of SE’s when going up means that I am used to bac and that’s maybe why I am having difficulty reaching indifference again when twice before I reached it at 180mg and 160mg.The second time I had been off it for 6 months.

Maybe some long termers like @terrykcan advise.Or maybe @Felina

StuckinLA    953
StuckinLA

Well, 10 months AF today. I'm conflicted about celebrating or even marking milestones, there always feels like an implied "great now don't f*ck it up." Anyway, did want to mark it here regardless, I guess. Hope it's a good one out there, everyone.

• Like 4

Nicnak    403
Nicnak

Well done stuck,that really is a great achievement all on your own!

• Like 2

Mom2JTx3    405
Mom2JTx3

Happy October everyone.  Not much is new here. I’ve titrated down to 250mg and am staying here for awhile.  I’m AF and have to be now, but that’s OK.  At this amount of Baclofen, it’s not hard.

Congratulations @StuckinLA!!

There’s an interesting discussion over on MWO about CBD oil for anxiety. Does anyone use it or know a reputable source?

• Like 1

StuckinLA    953
StuckinLA

Thanks, all. @Mom2JTx3 I do not know of a reputable source for CBD oil, though haven't looked really. I'm in CA and have a fresh medical rx. Haven't used it in a while, and never have tried the oil. Did try an edible once, maybe 5-6 months ago, and felt absolutely nothing. Anyway, maybe someone knows of something around here? Be careful with the synthetics, though, I've heard horror stories about those.

• Like 1

empyr3al    77
empyr3al

@Felina  I put quite a bit of effort in MWO about meds.  Maybe not baclofen because I cannot get it but I push options in meds.

• Like 1

Nicnak    403
Nicnak

Well,I went up to 200mg on Sunday and hey presto!.... on Monday I was indifferent.I really thought I wouldn’t get there again and I’m so relieved.But I’m also apprehensive,we will just have to see how it goes.

• Like 3

Nicnak    403
Nicnak

@Mom2JTx3,thank you

This whole baclofen journey has been a rocky ride and it’s not a one fits all medication so I can see getting it licensed for alcohol is going to be very hard.

This is my third time indifferent,First was 180mg then 160 now 200.But I’m between times I have gone up to as much as 280mg without a switch.My brain was very confused at this much bac!!....

SE’s now are falling asleep a lot.Was in the front room the other evening and decided to do some sit-ups (don’t ask!!)..next thing I know is my son coming in and telling me to go to bed,He prob thought I was drunk:(

A bit of confusion but not to bad and of course the usual constipation 

• Like 2

Felina    384
Felina

@Nicnak that's fantastic, congratulations! :sorcerer: I know this has been a difficult ride for you.   So glad to hear you didn't need to go up to 280 again.

Unsolicited advice: I'm thinking you probably should stay abstinent and stay at your switch dose for a good long while if you can stand it. And if you titrate down, do it sloooowly. I would venture a guess that titrating down too fast post-switch is one of the biggest baclofen mistakes. I was certainly guilty of that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

StuckinLA    953
StuckinLA

Califia Farms cold brew latte with almond milk is so good. That is all.