Barbara A.

Doc in Ft. Worth/Dallas, Tx area?

Barbara A.    2
Barbara A.

Hi, My name is Barbara and I am the mother of a 35 year old alcoholic daughter. My daughter drinks without excess most of the time, but occasionally she binge drinks and then she gets into trouble. She is going through a divorce from an emotionally abusive husband at this time (who drinks a lot, though I don't know if he is a true alcoholic or not). His threat to get full custody of their two children is what finally got her to completely give up alcohol, as of about 3 weeks ago. Because she is now motivated to deal with her problem, I am trying to provide all the support that I can to help her succeed. The stories about Baclofen have fascinated us, and she is currently taking 20mg daily. She is not experiencing any cravings (she is also doing acupuncture and NET; NET helps clear out emotional trama that can trigger drinking, and attending AA). On such a low dosage, I don't know that her absence of craving is due to this or to the strong motivation to quit. Before she quit, she can't really say if she drank because she had cravings or just out of habit. I have several questions. First, does anyone know of a doctor who will prescribe Baclofen in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area? She lives in Arlington, Tx which is in the middle of these two cities. I have not been able to find any doctor that will prescribe it for the treatment of alcoholism. Her GP gave her 80 10mg tablets (but only as a muscle relaxer), but she only has a few days left, and has kept the dosage low in order to make it last longer. Secondly, I have read that Baclofen works best, the worst the alcoholism is. Though, her alcoholism has caused real problems (i.e. drinking and driving, getting drunk while she is caring for her children) she has not been a daily drinker, and I don't believe would be considered a really bad alcoholic. I'm wondering if  Baclofen helps her pattern of alcoholism, and would be interested in hearing from any of you who drink/ or have drunk moderately and binge--if Baclofen has made a difference for you.  

I have researched online sources that don't require a prescription, but I am concerned about quality (I read where alldaychemist, for example, which is posted as a reputable site here, shipped Baclofen that was very close to the expiration date). Also, I keep reading where Baclofen is cheap, but if one is taking 100-200mg a day, at 60+ cents a day per pill, that that could run into hundreds of dollars a month, and to me, that's not so cheap! Also wondering, if one of the other craving curbing drugs, like Naltrexone, would be a good idea instead of Baclofen (especially if it doesn't work so well for people that binge occasionally). I am currently staying with my daughter(I live in another state) to support her during this transition, and to research and try to find a Baclofen source, while she does other things related to the divorce. Would appreciate any feedback that you have in the areas that I have questions. This is a great forum. And I think it is very sad indeed, that more physician's are not willing to prescribe Baclofen to alcoholics, who are in such need for help.

Barbara

Molly78    761
Molly78

Welcome to you, @Barbara A. and to your daughter.

Some of your questions I can't answer as I live in the UK & have no idea about prescribing doctors in the USA, tho I expect others will be along shortly with info.

There has been much debate, some of it acrimonious, on this & other sites about what constitutes a "proper alcoholic".  If your daughter has been convicted of drink driving & has been drunk in charge of children, then even if she "drinks without excess" most of the time & has not been a daily drinker, alcohol is still a significant blight on her life, & merits treatment.

Baclofen works by reducing anxiety (social anxiety in particular) which for some of us is a motivator to drink.  If your daughter has no anxiety & no cravings, I'm not sure it would be a first choice for her.  Maybe something like naltrexone might indeed suit her better, but I don't think that's an "anti-craving " medication - as I understand it, it just blocks the pleasant feeling alcohol induces.  Advantages are, you only have to take it once a day, & not even that often if you don't plan to drink that day.  I'm not experienced in the mechanism & practicalities of naltrexone though - again others will be better qualified to help you with this.

I have been taking bac for 4+ years now, having previously drunk up to 2 bottles of wine a night.  Now I drink within current government guidelines in terms of units/week.  Others on this site do not drink at all having increased their daily dose until they are indifferent to alcohol.

I order bac online (also, like your daughter, get a small dose from my GP for "muscle spasm").  I have never been sold dud or date expired meds.  In general, the sellers are motivated to satisfy the customer who will therefore come back to buy more, as with any other business.  It's not in their interest to sell poor quality goods.  Not saying it doesn't happen, but not aware of anyone who has been sold anything poisonous.  Date expired drugs might be less effective, but often, like your groceries, they are safe & effective well beyond the sell by/use by date!

If you keep researching & enquiring, I'm sure you will find something that's a "good fit" for your daughter.  Don't be put off by the ignorance of the medical profession about how effective medical treatment of alcoholism is.

• Like 2

Barbara A.    2
Barbara A.

Thanks so much for your response, M! It was very helpful. I don't know if you're familiar with "muscle testing" or "kinesieology" but she tested strong on Baclofen, which indicates her body liked it. In any case, we would like to see how she does on it. Even though she is not presently having "cravings" there are times she binges, and I assume something like a "craving" precedes this, but I'm not sure. Thanks for the encouragement about online ordering; there is some really scary info about it. I agree that slightly expired dates are not a huge deal. What sites do you order from that you have confidence in, if you don't mind sharing that, and how long have you been ordering from them? Right now my daughter is not drinking at all, and is doing really well; looking forward to a life without an abusive husband, who was a major trigger for her drinking. She only has about 30 10mg pills left, so we've decided  that she will get off it for now (she was up to 4 a day and now down to one because she is going to run out) and see if she can tell any difference. That way if she can, she can start back up and we can order online. That way we can tell, even if there are no obvious cravings, whether or not she is benefitting. With such high doses being consumed by some it appears that you would have to be ordering all the time! Right? It could get very expensive, seems to me.

• Like 1

Barbara A.    2
Barbara A.

I have reviewed the posts on recommended online pharmacies. These posts are over a year ago; would be interested in knowing where members are currently buying; best prices and considered most reliable and trustworthy.

Felina    384
Felina

Hi, Barbara! 

Re: meds on sites like alldaychemist: it has been my experience that the recommended sites provide medications that are of good quality. Those drugs are not close to their expiration date or in any way otherwise inferior. The sites that are generally recommended (River Pharmacy, All Day Chemist, Goldpharma, Inhouse Pharmacy) provide high-quality medications at a fraction of the US cost. I have used all but Inhouse Pharmacy, and can attest that they are as "clean" as any drugs sold in the US. I highly recommend them. It seems scary to order online from a foreign pharmacy, but many of us have used those sites with success.

I certainly wasn't an occasional drinker. I was an all-day, all-out type. But I have been on baclofen for almost seven years. You have mentioned that your daughter takes 20 mgs/day. Generally speaking, that is usually not enough to make a difference. She can certainly benefit from that dosage, but she might find much more relief by slowly (slowly!) titrating up in dosage, and watching to see if a higher dosage helps her when she does get the urge to binge. Everyone reacts to baclofen differently. 

Naltrexone is always an option, but it can run quite expensive. It might be a good idea to stick with baclofen for a while first before switching/experimenting with another drug.

Do I sound like I am all over the place? It is difficult to make suggestions when everyone reacts to these drugs in a different way. In any event, I am so glad you're here. Please stick around, ask questions, report on her progress, and keep us updated. 

• Like 1

Barbara A.    2
Barbara A.

Felina, thank you so much for responding to my post. You have no idea how much encouragement my daughter and I are receiving knowing that there is someone out there that can walk beside us in the Baclofen journey! And to know that you have used Baclofen successfully is so wonderful! I don't know you, but I'm proud of you anyway! Seven years is a good track record. Have you chosen to drink at all or embrace abstinance...just curious. I am also very pleased to hear you say these pharmacy sites are still reliable. When I googled them for reviews things were said that made me leery of all of them, but if all of you are finding them reliable, then they must be. I have searched very hard to  try to find a doctor who will prescribe Baclofen. Today one of my searches appears to have paid off. I have contacted a psychiatrist who I have been told by the office staff does prescribe Baclofen for alcoholism, and the staffer was rather confident that if my daughter became a patient, she would do so, particularly since she is already taking it. I will make an appointment for her next week. It will be expensive, though. $300 for the first visit and $150 thereafter, which hopefully won't be that often, after a couple of months.  I would prefer to have her monitored to begin with, especially since she currently doesn't have the urge to drink, and therefore doesn't have "cravings" as a guideline right now about how far to increase her dosage. After 2-3 months if all is well she might be able to go on her own. Today I did an initial search of some prescriptions only pharmacies, and was surprised that the first once that came up (here in the USA) was almost as low as the foreign pharmacies listed on this site (.34 a pill for 270 20mg). I'm real excited about that!

I realize that 20mg is a very low dosage, but interestingly today my daughter was feeling depressed and anxious about all the divorce issues facing her. Then I learned that she had not taken her Baclofen and wondered if that is why she had a difficult day; her first difficult day in the week I have been here. Then she took one 10mg pill and she seemed better after that. We decided to "ration" the pills until she can get a constant supply. So if 10-20mg Baclofen is responsible for her being "upbeat" on previous days, I'm impressed! She was up to 40mg, but backed it down to make it last longer. She said she can't tell any difference so far from the varying dosages. Based on all the testimonies I've read, I suspect that she will need a higher dosage to avoid "binging", but have no idea what that dosage will be.

Thanks again for your help!

• Like 1

StuckinLA    953
StuckinLA

Hi and welcome, @Barbara A.. I haven't used baclofen in a few years now, but when I did (for quite a while and in large quantities) I always used Goldpharma and never had any problems with them. Some people respond very positively to low doses. I know of one woman who was an all-day every day drinker and stopped almost instantly on 30mg/day. Anyway, so it has been known to happen. Many of us take quite a bit more though. Good luck and keep us posted!

Edited by StuckinLA
  • Like 2

Barbara A.    2
Barbara A.

Hi stuckinLa Thanks so much for your response. After reading your post I read about the Sinclair Method....fascinating! I have never heard of it! And, even when I saw Naltrexone mentioned, it was not mentioned that you have to keep drinking for it to work! You said that you used to take Baclofen, but don't anymore. Did you follow the Sinclair program and are now just using Naltrexone when you drink, or are you abstinent? Can you tell me the difference in how the two meds work? Seems like what I've read suggest Baclofen also seems to work on neural pathways. Wondering if they work similarly? With Baclofen, though, you can be abstinent and it still work, right. I wonder if de-addiction occurs with Baclofen. Do you know?i Also wondering if Baclofen works better if one is still drinking, like with Naltrexone?? Or do you get the same benefit if you're abstinent?

Right now my daughter cannot drink. She is in the process of a divorce and her husband, who is a heavy drinker, threatened to try to get full custody because of her drinking. Though it's excessive only occasionally, as binging, it's a problem. I don't think the courts would likely be knowledgeable about the science surrounding it, and it's too risky at this point. Perhaps down the road she could try the Sinclair Method. 

The injection form of Naltrexone is really expensive, but the pill isn't at all. Just taking a pill before you drink is really a lot simpler than trying to figure out the right dosage for Baclofen. I am amazed that I had no idea that such strides in treating alcoholism had taken place. Seems like AA and rehab centers are still proponents of abstinence as the only way, instead of rewiring the brain.

BarrelChested    216
BarrelChested

@Barbara A.TSM gave me my life back. I'm not a doctor... but I'm pretty science-y/geeky/technical. Here's the summary: TSM/Naltrexone works for 80% of people in the first year... and down to 50% after three years. It works on the principle of "pharmacological extinction." I recently changed doctors and ran-out of Nal... and I now understand those numbers. Nal knocks some of the shine off of drinking (i.e., you don't get the the euphoria often associated with drinking; it's hard to describe this to someone that hasn't taken an opioid blocker whilst drinking).  It's tempting to want a "really good time" -- like "back in the day." This is what leads to (I suspect) leads to recidivism.  Personally, I find that Nal has helped to break the spell -- even for the month that I was without it.  However, I had nearly a year with Nal before I ran-out.  I'm rambling (sorry).  So... I suspect that the ultimate predictor of success is desire.

Most of us have had a toxic personal relationship. You're SO in love with someone... and it's great... until it either becomes one-sided or there's just too much heartache/bullsh1t associated with it.  It still hurts like hell... but eventually you get to the point where you grasp that you just can't keep doing this. Yeah, the good times are transcendent... but the collateral damage is too high. You get to the point where "you just can't." I got there with booze (and clearly a certain girl).  Sadly, the analogy breaks-down, here -- for some of us have a genetic predisposition for alcohol abuse. Frankly, booze is easier, more immediate, and cheaper than anything else... in the short term. Anyway, I "saw the precipice" with my drinking. Nal/TSM has helped me SO MUCH.  It would help more if I would go to therapy (alas, I don't want the stigma - worried about my career).

I take the pill. I take the pill despite having had horrible side effects. It's about desire.  You can't choose this for someone. It just won't work. Your daughter has to want it.... and it's just not fun -- nor does Nal stop you from drinking. Having watched my mother get so drunk that she lost bladder/bowel control on the couch countless times (trust me, it was not for a lack of "upbringing")... and the "rest of it," I can tell you that if your daughter chooses booze over her kids... maybe they're better without her.  I realize that this is a harsh thing to read. My mother died of alcoholism... and although she was likely otherwise a lovely person... I think of her as a selfish. emotionally-stunted, self-absorbed piece of sh1t. Had I not had amazing, exceptionally strong female role models the other side of my family, I'd be permanently damaged.

Lastly... don't make excuses. This is what we alcoholics do. We can justify anything. Understand, too, that you're getting one side of the story.  Look, I wish for the best possible outcome for all involved... but I encourage you to be open and honest about what's "best."  N.b., I did qualify that my views are tainted by personal experience. Good luck -- addiction sucks.

Felina    384
Felina

Hi Barbara,

Sorry for the terribly late reply! Such good news that you found a doctor who prescribes baclofen. It can sometimes be very difficult to find one who isn't married to the AA line of thinking. It's also wonderful that your daughter is having positive reactions to the low-dose baclofen. Baclofen is a godsend for many people with anxiety. It certainly helped me. 

It's hard to say what dose would stop her from binging. I was an every day drinker, and I drank the whole time I was titrating up on baclofen until one day I couldn't drink anymore. What a wonderful experience that was! Unfortunately, I went down in dosage too fast and promptly relapsed. It took a year or two of experimenting to find a dose that worked for me. I moderated for several years but have had long periods of abstinence in the last few months. I like myself better when I'm abstinent.

Keep us posted on her progress! 

• Like 2