Alcofree

Baclofen to Naltrexone transition

Alcofree    60
Alcofree

Hello! Does Bac interfere with Naltrexone? I'm making the transition. Does anyone have any experience? Is anyone on Naltrexone? 

Molly78    790
Molly78

I am on bac, not tried naltrexone.  However they work in entirely different ways, so should complement each other ie the bac will reduce cravings & anxiety, whereas the nal will reduce the "high" you get from alcohol.  Mind you, bac does that as well.  Any particular reason you are making the change over?  Did bac not work for you?

Alcofree    60
Alcofree
3 hours ago, Molly78 said:

I am on bac, not tried naltrexone.  However they work in entirely different ways, so should complement each other ie the bac will reduce cravings & anxiety, whereas the nal will reduce the "high" you get from alcohol.  Mind you, bac does that as well.  Any particular reason you are making the change over?  Did bac not work for you?

@Molly78 I want to get Nal on prescription. Will know the outcome later this week. I will feel better if I'm under full medical supervision. Bac is good.But I take other meds so always weary what works alongside Bac and what doesn't. Fingers crossed I'll get a chance to try Nal.

empyr3al    84
empyr3al

Naltrexone is quite expensive at 8 CAD a day but so is baclofen at high dose. If you are paying outright cross borders then nal is cheaper on a benefit plan.  I suppose how you use Naltrexone can bring the price down. The Sinclair Method for one. 250$ if used daily unless you have benefits.  I have roughly 1500$ in nal for a multitude of reasons such as relapsing, concern for my liver, I started using it on demand.  Bac is not liver based so if you have concerns for your liver its not a wise choice.  Just my two cents.  Nal is not made out to be what it is used for and can cause some damage and proves little success.  Especially if you are injured and need opiods because it blows the safe limit of opiods out of the water.  Its patented so its a money maker. If you live in the states its substancially cheaper if you shop around.

Being british it will cost a fortune.  But so does my campral and just slightly less. 340 for two months.  Mirtazapine is by far the cheapest option. 14$ for 180.

As an example I use roughly 25$ in drugs for AL alone.

Edited by empyr3al
  • Like 1

empyr3al    84
empyr3al

@Alcofree

I see no harm in combining them.  I do.  Actually I combine NAL, Campral, Gabapentin and Mirtazapine.  The concept that one pill or changing from one to another doesn't fit in my books.  Now if BAC is causing problems, maybe try a combo of NAL and Gabapentin.  Gabapentine does quite a bit of similar things to BAC as far as I can tell, but without the aka switch.  I believe you can use more than one if your body can take it.  The Nal I started using less because its hard on the liver and my last test frightened me.  I used to use it daily and now I use it when I feel like it or need it.  Its in my daily "tray" for first thing in the morning so as I carry the individual day (nice tray), I can take it if I need it as its always with me.  Just a tip.

• Like 1

Alcofree    60
Alcofree
On 15/10/2017 at 11:08 PM, Alcofree said:

@Molly78 I want to get Nal on prescription. Will know the outcome later this week. I will feel better if I'm under full medical supervision. Bac is good.But I take other meds so always weary what works alongside Bac and what doesn't. Fingers crossed I'll get a chance to try Nal.

@Molly78 I managed to get Naltrexone on prescription. Very happy. It's not addictive. The Sinclair Method definitely works. I wish I knew about it earlier! I am much more comfortable on Nal. 

• Like 3

Initia Nova    1
Initia Nova

I frequently prescribe both naltrexone and baclofen to my patients. Naltrexone I use in The Sinclair Method (if liver function ok) and not on opiates, and then add  baclofen. Good results 

• Like 1