maddie1020

Hello

maddie1020    1
maddie1020

Hi

Nice to meet you all :-)

I'm totally fed up with my addiction to alcohol which I can never seem to shake.

I have tried abstaining which worked for a few months until I start craving the excitement and release that alcohol gives me.  I have ordered Baclofen and I'm going to follow the guide on here on how to build up the dosage.

Thank you for listening,

Maddie

• Like 1

Molly78    790
Molly78

Welcome @maddie1020.  Best of luck with baclofen, it has been a miracle for many of us on this website.  keep us posted with your progress.

Felina    395
Felina

Hi Maddie, and welcome! As Molly said above, baclofen has worked wonders for many of us. Please keep us posted on your progress. Slow and steady wins the baclofen race!

empyr3al    84
empyr3al

If bac doesn't seem to flip a switch for you some of us have experience with other drugs and are willing to help.  I hope it does work for you.  Never give up, because it is worth it.  There is no magic fix all and you need to be honest with yourself also.  Some times we leave a wake of sh*t around and that takes time to overcome.  It does pass with prolonged abstinence.

maddie1020    1
maddie1020

Thanks for responding everyone, it is much appreciated :-)

Well, I got an email back from the online pharmacy where I ordered the Baclofen from saying they will only accept a wire transfer and not a debit card, which made me wonder if they are legit.  I guess it is difficult to know, seeing as buying drugs online is dodgy any way!

It does make me wonder though, if Baclofen is the right drug for me.  I binge drink; I'm able to stop drinking for a few weeks with a bit of mental effort and then I get that trigger that tells me that I need to drink alcohol so I can feel the buzz.  Life just doesn't seem to exciting without it, which is how I know I'm addicted.  The funny thing is most of my friends are like this too but it seems like the normal thing to do, especially in the UK.  Just for the record, I would rather stop drinking totally, rather than just cutting down.

Is there a more suitable drug for binge drinkers like myself?  I'm happy to do the wire transfer thing but would rather find a pharmacy who will delivery to the UK where I can pay by card - it they exist.

Maddie :-)

Edited by maddie1020
added a sentence

Molly78    790
Molly78

Have a look at the online pharmacy section on this site. I use SunshinePharma-UK.  They take credit cards & have proved very reliable, though baclofen is sometimes "out of stock" when I order, but usually comes back in again within a week.

4 hours ago, maddie1020 said:

It does make me wonder though, if Baclofen is the right drug for me.  I binge drink; I'm able to stop drinking for a few weeks with a bit of mental effort and then I get that trigger that tells me that I need to drink alcohol so I can feel the buzz

The trigger you describe is exactly what baclofen works on.  I was also  able to stop drinking, but would not have been able to continue without alcohol without baclofen.  Other people describe how they keep on drinking daily & increase their dose of bac until they hit "the switch", after which they no longer want to drink.  I didn't do it that way.  We are all different, but I believe bac can work for most of us.

maddie1020    1
maddie1020

Thank you Molly78, I will try that pharmacy, and I'm grateful for your comments :-)

empyr3al    84
empyr3al
6 hours ago, maddie1020 said:

I binge drink; I'm able to stop drinking for a few weeks with a bit of mental effort and then I get that trigger that tells me that I need to drink alcohol so I can feel the buzz.  Life just doesn't seem to exciting without it, which is how I know I'm addicted.  The funny thing is most of my friends are like this too but it seems like the normal thing to do, especially in the UK.  Just for the record, I would rather stop drinking totally, rather than just cutting down.

Is there a more suitable drug for binge drinkers like myself?  I'm happy to do the wire transfer thing but would rather find a pharmacy who will delivery to the UK where I can pay by card - it they exist.

Uhm okay I wish that Naltrexone did it for you.  As far as I know its the principle drug used to address binge drinking.  A certain amount of self control needs to be done.  I found that one drink led to many many more.  So my experiences of relapse are hardcore.  If I let go and take one drink it cascades into physical dependence.  I know a ton of people that insist moderate drinking is okay but its not for me.  Finding the new you is important.  You can brag it, you can own it, you can be elusive where no one notices you are not drinking.  Drunk people get really boring at some point.  Naltrexone is a shame that it did not work out.  Its rare to have side effects from it to be honest.  Are you certain it was not something else causing sickness?  Its hard to pin it down as to what is going on while you heal.  A drug will not cure a cultural stigma and thats where some need AA or CBT.

Gabapentin with all its apparent horrors might do you well.  For me it dissolved the need to go out and seek alcohol.  Why bother moving if I'm okay.  I found anxiety ruled my life and if I could not focus on what needed to be done it was alc.  Its a trap.  Nothing will stop you unless you want it to be stopped.  Every drug can be drank over if you want to sabotage.  Gabap was simple for me to get off.  Found out the correlation between it and caffeine was insane.

Mom2JTx3    408
Mom2JTx3

Welcome @maddie1020!  Baclofen saved my life :)!  However if I had to do it all over again, I might have tried Naltrexone first. The beauty of that drug is you only take it when you drink. You must take it 1 hour before you drink, every time you drink.  It blunts the high and eventually extinguishes those cravings.  You may want to research the Sinclair method. There’s info on here and on the web.  It doesn’t work for everyone, and it can take awhile, but it’s another option.  Good luck!