Elizabeth

Newbie here

Elizabeth

Hi I’m new to this but I’m going to give it a shot. I’ve been drinking almost everyday for four years. I don’t even remember why I started. Im married and have two kids. My husband is worried about me and I can tell he doesn’t understand alcohol addiction. He didn’t grow up around addiction like I did. I’ve known for quit sometime that I’ve turned into an alcoholic. I just keep ignoring the fact that I need to get sober. My kids are old enough now that they can see how my drinking affects their lives, missed sports practices, games, flaking out on dates with friends. My drinking makes them uncomfortable. Everyday I wake up and say today I’m not drinking. And then go buy two more bottles of wine to get me through the day. I’ve just recently started to black out. I used to think people made up blacking out just so they didn’t have to take responsibility for their shitty behavior the night before. The not remembering how or when I go to bed is really scary to me. Just as scary as never being able to pick up a glass of wine again. I’m terrified of getting sober! I’m absolutely terrified of having to change my whole life in order to get and stay sober. AA is so depressing, I can’t get through one meeting without breaking out in tears listening to all these sad stories of how alcohol has, in most cases, absolutely ruined people’s lives. I know that if I keep drinking like this it’s going to happen to me too, more than it already has affected my life. I promised myself I would never raise my kids around addiction, yet here I am a full blown alcoholic! Until reading this forum today I didn’t know there were other ways to get passed addiction. I thought AA was the only way. I’ll have to read more about treatment that helps with the cravings. What has worked for you all? As far as dealing with the cravings. I usually start drinking around 1pm it’s like a reward for me from getting all the house work/errands done. I don’t stop until I go to be. I drink about two bottles of wine a day. I drink at least 4-5 times a week. If I can get passed 3 pm with out drinking, I won’t usually think about drinking again until 5pm or 6pm when it’s time to put dinner on, dinner time is another trigger for my drinking. Thanks for listening and I’ll take any advice I can get. 

• Like 2

Molly78

Welcome, @Elizabeth !

I got sober with baclofen. Like you, I was drinking 1 1/2 to 2 bottles of wine a day. Now I drink about 8-10 units a week if that.  And I don't miss it!

Have a look at some of the information on the rest of this website.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Mom2JTx3

H @Elizabeth  I also got sober with Baclofen.  Naltrexone is another med that can help.  There are alternatives.  Good luck!

• Like 1

StuckinLA

Hi @Elizabeth and welcome! Baclofen has worked for a lot of people, and while I haven't taken it in a long time (a number of years) it did cause me to forget completely about drinking while I was on higher doses. Others have varying degrees of success with naltrexone (The Sinclair Method). I had some wicked side effects with baclofen, so I gave it up, but then finally also gave up drinking a little over a year ago. Hard to quantify my intake, but for reference I'd usually have at least a pint bottle of whiskey before 9am and it would just go downhill from there.

• Like 1

Elizabeth

Thanks for the info. I managed to stay sober today so I’ve been doing a lot of research on these meds. I feel hopeful after reading all these post on here. Sounds like it could really help. 

• Like 2

Felina

Hi Elizabeth,

I remember being where you are. Terrified and unable to stop, yet knowing that I was getting worse every day. The thought of taking away my alcohol (safety net) was unthinkable. I got sober with baclofen. Please look around this site; there are resources that will help you find doctors in your area. There is also research that you can print out and take to your doctor.

The two main medications used for treating addiction are naltrexone and baclofen. They can be used together as well. The nice thing is that you can do this on your own, without having to suffer through AA meetings. Baclofen works differently for different people, but essentially you gradually increase your dosage until you find that you are no longer interested in drinking. For me, that took two months. Right now I go through periods of abstinence followed by periods of moderate drinking.

Most successful Naltrexone users use The Sinclair method. It is simple: you take 50 mgs before you plan on drinking. That's it. And then you can go ahead and drink. Naltrexone blocks the "high" so when used every time you drink, you crave the drink less and less until you reach the "extinction" point with your drinking.

Stick around, ask questions, and keep us posted on your progress. We're glad you're here!

• Like 2

Otter

Hi Elizabeth

My wife had an alcohol problem going back to the early 1990's and was going to AA.  She had a stroke in 1997 when she was in her late 30's and then had heart surgery. During all that she went through divorce, when to residential rehab and then lost both her children who were taken into care.  I met her several years later and she was in a bad way but we had a child in 2002.  The social services came down on us just because of the severity of her drinking. I struggled to keep my business going and then had to get a job while she sunk into what appeared to me to be a terminal alcoholic condition. We went to every doctor and service we could find for alcoholism but it wasn't until 2009 that we found baclofen after watching a tv show about Dr. Ameisen. After years of struggling to get the medication and a doctor and many relapses, child services interventions, court hearings etc, I retired and we moved to Cyprus.  My wife is pretty much 100% now on baclofen and Campral.  At one point, I thought she would be dead by now but life is now ok.  

As of the time she started on baclofen she had been drinking as an alcoholic for probably about 20 years and was drinking 1.5 litres of vodka a day. We were told by one addictions nurse that alcoholics, on average, try to quit 50 times before they stop on their own.  With baclofen, the results were immediate. She felt a difference as soon as she started taking the medication.  It took a long time to get the dosage right, get medical assistance with it, get over the problems of a 20 year addiction etc etc etc.  But, it definitely works.  It's a long road but there is hope.

Edited by Otter
  • Like 3

Elizabeth

Thanks for sharing that with me. I’m glad she is doing better. I am currently waiting on a dr apt to talk a bout these medications. 

• Like 2