Jump to content
NewChapter

First Month on Nal

Recommended Posts

NewChapter

Hi all, 

 

Been searching the net for a forum where you can discuss the ongoing success failure of using Naltexone.

 

I've just finished my first month with very mixed results.  At first it worked and my volume of consumption quickly shot down, from a bottle of whiskey to glasses , this was happening ona regular basis and the urge to not take the pill was completely gone! 

However after my first time in a social environment and few pints ending up in a full on binge till 4am, I've found it hard to keep my volume down.  Last night was a prime example, i started at 8pm and by 11:00 I'd had 3 glasses, at some point my drinking got faster until i ended up doing nearly the entire bottle.

Did i assume i was fixed, did that night remind me of just how good being drunk can be ? 

Looking for some input if anyone else has been though this while taking Nal, this has to work and i really really want it too.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
StuckinLA

damn it's quiet here. never tried Nal myself, but I hear it can take several months to fully work, so I wouldn't beat myself up over a long night and most of a bottle. seems like you'd been having pretty good success so far, and if you're not feeling any nausea or anything I say stick with it and stay hopeful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mom2JTx3

Just keep going.  From what I’ve heard, it can take months and the time can vary widely, just like it can with baclofen  The fact that you responded  quickly is good news, but it takes awhile to reprogram those circuits. Good luck!  

Edit: You are following the Sinclair method, correct?  If not, see information on this site or here: You will need register or log in to read this content

 

Edited by Mom2JTx3
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarrelChested
On 4/10/2018 at 7:02 AM, NewChapter said:

Hi all, 

 

Been searching the net for a forum where you can discuss the ongoing success failure of using Naltexone.

 

I've just finished my first month with very mixed results.  At first it worked and my volume of consumption quickly shot down, from a bottle of whiskey to glasses , this was happening ona regular basis and the urge to not take the pill was completely gone! 

However after my first time in a social environment and few pints ending up in a full on binge till 4am, I've found it hard to keep my volume down.  Last night was a prime example, i started at 8pm and by 11:00 I'd had 3 glasses, at some point my drinking got faster until i ended up doing nearly the entire bottle.

Did i assume i was fixed, did that night remind me of just how good being drunk can be ? 

Looking for some input if anyone else has been though this while taking Nal, this has to work and i really really want it too.

Thanks

I've been using Nal for over a year. I've posted extensively about my experience with it. Feel free to lurk. The abridged version is this:
1) it works for me (and for the vast majority of people)

2)  You can "overpower" the Nal. I can't drink beer (which I love; the gluten... not so much). So, if I stick to cider/wine, I "lose interest" after a few drinks. I figured-out that I can "move past" the "getting drunk phase" and straight into the "fully drunk" phase by slamming liquor. A big part of your experience remains choice. Unfortunately. If I could stick to beer (I'm just not a huge fan of either cider or wine), it would be much easier.

3) Nal can be used to cut your consumption... but I'd rather use it to help me eventually stop. I was terrified by this thought (stopping) when I started with Nal. It was explicitly NOT something I wanted to do. Time tends to change perspectives. I think that a life free from booze (I'm not there, yet) might not be so bad. The only bad about a sober life is that you're around a bunch of insufferable sober people (arguably, though, this isn't much worse than being around a bunch of barflies).

4) Sleep is the biggest determinant of will power. Personally, at least. If I don't get good sleep, I'll almost certainly drink to excess the next day. This is a vicious cycle.

5) exercise keeps the bottle song at bay (er, it helps).
6) Do not underestimate the addict's mind. It can justify anything.

Finally, let me say that Nal is a tool. It's helped me tremendously. At the same time, it's mostly an evolution of desire that's lead me toward  better shores. Uh, and I realize that that does not sound appealing. It's been a journey to get here. My advice to you is this: just keep trying to be a better version of yourself each day... and remember that it's okay to slip-up.  Oh, and I highly recommend The Sinclair Method.  Good luck, friend...

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarrelChested
On 4/11/2018 at 11:05 PM, StuckinLA said:

damn it's quiet here. never tried Nal myself, but I hear it can take several months to fully work, so I wouldn't beat myself up over a long night and most of a bottle. seems like you'd been having pretty good success so far, and if you're not feeling any nausea or anything I say stick with it and stay hopeful.

FYI: I got every possible side effect. The "dark thoughts" were brutal. I cannot recommend strongly enough "The Sinclair Method." If you don't take it every day, the side effects won't be as dire. They can be HORRIBLE. I'm a very strong person... and I could see how they could easily lead someone to suicide. Be careful. Be mindful of your mental state. Get a LOT of sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NewChapter
On 15/04/2018 at 3:37 AM, Mom2JTx3 said:

Just keep going.  From what I’ve heard, it can take months and the time can vary widely, just like it can with baclofen  The fact that you responded  quickly is good news, but it takes awhile to reprogram those circuits. Good luck!  

Edit: You are following the Sinclair method, correct?  If not, see information on this site or here: You will need register or log in to read this content

 

Indeed, I'm trying the Sinclair method.  I think I wanted to run before i could walk but i agree i need to take the positives of the affect it's had so far.

 

@BarrelChested

Some very valid points and solid advice.  Since my post I've taken steps to limit my consumption even more, I really only drink whisky so i only allow myself to have 3-4 single drinks to hand, I didn't want to limit myself this way as it felt like i was cheating (maybe the addict trying to make sure i always had more) but as I'm the one deciding to only bring that much to the table it feels like I've taken back some control.  Since making this change, I've found my interest in drinking all 4 drinks goes fairly quickly and often i look and it's 11pm and I'm still on my first drink.

I've found that i can overcome the Nal, but the feeling isn't the same even when i do (did) but as people keep telling me, the healing process will take time.  I think after the bad week i felt i had taken 10 steps back, but even when i look at my overall consumption and behaviour it was a lot better.

 

18 hours ago, BarrelChested said:

 

Finally, let me say that Nal is a tool. It's helped me tremendously. At the same time, it's mostly an evolution of desire that's lead me toward  better shores. Uh, and I realize that that does not sound appealing. It's been a journey to get here. My advice to you is this: just keep trying to be a better version of yourself each day... and remember that it's okay to slip-up.  Oh, and I highly recommend The Sinclair Method.  Good luck, friend...

 

 

 

This was the biggest eye opener for me.  I actually started to write about after the negative feelings i had during my first slip up.  My opening line was "i thought I'd found a miracle turns out it was only part of the cure"  Nal can only get me so far, the rest of  I need to do myself.  Finding people who have been or are going though the same has made me understand that I'm not the worst person on the planet, it will take a lot of time to build up the trust in myself.  I will have a read of your past posts and I'll assume you've seen it, but one little pill is now my go to film every time i feel I've taken a step back.  It's based around the Sinclair method.  Thanks for the good luck message and some wise words.

Some key thing's I've found after not being drunk constantly for the past month and a half.

1) That stomach pain that you always blamed on some unknown illness has drastically improved....

2) You do not enjoy films, music, games or any other activity infinitely more because you are drunk, you are not more creative or deep because you are drunk, in fact the appreciation for all of the above is clearer when you're sober and more present.

3) Drink isn't your friend, you were never in control and it's not a weakness to find outside help

4) You are harming others, even if you think it's an activity you do on our own away from the ones you love.  

5) You have to forgive yourself to move forward, you have to have to want to move forward for yourself and not anyone else.

I'll keep posting my journey here but thanks to all of you who have replied.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BarrelChested
On 4/22/2018 at 11:58 AM, Nicnak said:

How are you doing on it @BarrelChested

I've found Naltrexone to be a huge help. In other words, it helps tremendously. As I stated previously, it isn't magic pixie dust that makes all glitter. It's a useful tool for those that are genuinely trying to curtail their consumption. I'm... grateful for it (sorry, my "word power" is waning, tonight). That little pill lets me "step out" without feeling like I've blown all of my progress. It's forgiveness in a pharmaceutical. It takes away the shame that used to feed-into the cycle of abstinence, aplomb, and bitter self-recrimination and failure. It breaks that piece of the machine. However, that little pill does not erase the conditions, behavior, and habits that lead me to drink in the first place.

 

You don't simply remove alcohol and the world turns to gold and diamonds. No, your life is still a low-rent porta-potty. When you take away the booze, though, you can finally recognize that 1) you're in a porta-potty and 2) you'd like to improve things and 3) you're not so blinded my liquor that you can't work on addressing the problems that put your life into the sh1tter.

I'm sorry... but we drink for many reasons. No pill can fix that. My advice is to get plenty of sleep, to exercise, and to do your best. You might not ever succeed... but you have a fighting chance. Conversely, if you keep drinking, you'll never escape that hell. Don't lie to yourself; it's not fun and you know it. Sure, the first 30 minutes are fun... and the rest is shame and forgetting.

Good luck to all.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
phoenix
On 22/04/2018 at 9:18 PM, NewChapter said:

Indeed, I'm trying the Sinclair method.  I think I wanted to run before i could walk but i agree i need to take the positives of the affect it's had so far.

 

@BarrelChested

Some very valid points and solid advice.  Since my post I've taken steps to limit my consumption even more, I really only drink whisky so i only allow myself to have 3-4 single drinks to hand, I didn't want to limit myself this way as it felt like i was cheating (maybe the addict trying to make sure i always had more) but as I'm the one deciding to only bring that much to the table it feels like I've taken back some control.  Since making this change, I've found my interest in drinking all 4 drinks goes fairly quickly and often i look and it's 11pm and I'm still on my first drink.

I've found that i can overcome the Nal, but the feeling isn't the same even when i do (did) but as people keep telling me, the healing process will take time.  I think after the bad week i felt i had taken 10 steps back, but even when i look at my overall consumption and behaviour it was a lot better.

 

 

This was the biggest eye opener for me.  I actually started to write about after the negative feelings i had during my first slip up.  My opening line was "i thought I'd found a miracle turns out it was only part of the cure"  Nal can only get me so far, the rest of  I need to do myself.  Finding people who have been or are going though the same has made me understand that I'm not the worst person on the planet, it will take a lot of time to build up the trust in myself.  I will have a read of your past posts and I'll assume you've seen it, but one little pill is now my go to film every time i feel I've taken a step back.  It's based around the Sinclair method.  Thanks for the good luck message and some wise words.

Some key thing's I've found after not being drunk constantly for the past month and a half.

1) That stomach pain that you always blamed on some unknown illness has drastically improved....

2) You do not enjoy films, music, games or any other activity infinitely more because you are drunk, you are not more creative or deep because you are drunk, in fact the appreciation for all of the above is clearer when you're sober and more present.

3) Drink isn't your friend, you were never in control and it's not a weakness to find outside help

4) You are harming others, even if you think it's an activity you do on our own away from the ones you love.  

5) You have to forgive yourself to move forward, you have to have to want to move forward for yourself and not anyone else.

I'll keep posting my journey here but thanks to all of you who have replied.

 

Hi there 

 

I found great success with Nal TSM and since then I've decided to go completely AF. 

 

The points you write here are in my opinion so, so true. Nal will not do the leg work for you, it's a tool which can help you start to learn to live with less alcohol. 

 

I had points at which I suddenly drank a lot more than others, I think they are called 'extinction bursts' these were almost always new situations such as first time on holiday, or first time out with friends at a beer festival. I looked at them as new 'exposure' to be eliminated. 

 

Nal combined with life event reason lack of drinking got me to a point where I didn't like even one glass so decided to go AF. If that's the price I pay for my life back I'll take it. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
phoenix
On 24/04/2018 at 4:10 AM, BarrelChested said:

I've found Naltrexone to be a huge help. In other words, it helps tremendously. As I stated previously, it isn't magic pixie dust that makes all glitter. It's a useful tool for those that are genuinely trying to curtail their consumption. I'm... grateful for it (sorry, my "word power" is waning, tonight). That little pill lets me "step out" without feeling like I've blown all of my progress. It's forgiveness in a pharmaceutical. It takes away the shame that used to feed-into the cycle of abstinence, aplomb, and bitter self-recrimination and failure. It breaks that piece of the machine. However, that little pill does not erase the conditions, behavior, and habits that lead me to drink in the first place.

 

You don't simply remove alcohol and the world turns to gold and diamonds. No, your life is still a low-rent porta-potty. When you take away the booze, though, you can finally recognize that 1) you're in a porta-potty and 2) you'd like to improve things and 3) you're not so blinded my liquor that you can't work on addressing the problems that put your life into the sh1tter.

I'm sorry... but we drink for many reasons. No pill can fix that. My advice is to get plenty of sleep, to exercise, and to do your best. You might not ever succeed... but you have a fighting chance. Conversely, if you keep drinking, you'll never escape that hell. Don't lie to yourself; it's not fun and you know it. Sure, the first 30 minutes are fun... and the rest is shame and forgetting.

Good luck to all.

 

And this is excellent advice, self care and making sobriety your priority - it has to come first. Life isn't easy but it's easier without alcohol addiction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×