MJM

Checking in -- January 2019

MJM

Happy New Year to you all, I hope this year is a happy, contented one for you all.

I am a little sad to see so little support for this site.

Baclofen has wrought a miracle in my life, and I am sure many others.

Yet the majority of alcoholics in the western world are served up a cold dish of AA as their main source or recovery. That has a 5 per cent success rate. Baclofen has upwards of 60 per cent.

Anyway, enough ranting. Just hope that somehow this great site can and will continue, with plenty of input.

Felina

Happy New Year MJM!

I am sad too. This site was never nearly as active as other forums, but during the first year or so it really seemed to be moving in that direction.

Baclofen has been my miracle as well. I really credit it with saving my life.

Thanks for posting! I hope some others will check in as well. 

Babsidibbles

Hi - thank you for your posts.  I am interested in getting some help for my nephew who has a worsening alcohol problem.  I am a recovering alcoholic myself - I got sober through AA, but recognise that the success rate is not very high and some people cannot achieve sobriety through AA.  I came across this website doing research on baclofen, which I have to take for muscle spasms in my back and neck.  I am wondering whether I should direct my nephew towards this website as a way of trying to get help for his problem.  He has previously weaned himself off heroin (several years ago) and marijuana (several months ago).  My main concern is that with his history of addiction, he really needs to get help for deeper issues, but experience tells me there is no point doing therapy while he's still on the booze.  Any advice and experience will be gratefully received. 

Otter
On 1/13/2019 at 9:20 PM, Babsidibbles said:

Hi - thank you for your posts.  I am interested in getting some help for my nephew who has a worsening alcohol problem.  I am a recovering alcoholic myself - I got sober through AA, but recognise that the success rate is not very high and some people cannot achieve sobriety through AA.  I came across this website doing research on baclofen, which I have to take for muscle spasms in my back and neck.  I am wondering whether I should direct my nephew towards this website as a way of trying to get help for his problem.  He has previously weaned himself off heroin (several years ago) and marijuana (several months ago).  My main concern is that with his history of addiction, he really needs to get help for deeper issues, but experience tells me there is no point doing therapy while he's still on the booze.  Any advice and experience will be gratefully received. 

Hello and welcome.   It might help to point him in this direction.  There are a lot of people here or who have been here who have similar problems.  We also have a large network of people who know doctors in various parts of the world.  

Whether he's able to take any help he's given is another issue and whether it works for him is another.   There are other sites as well with a lot of people with drug and alcohol problems and maybe even just getting some moral support might help.  Certainly baclofen has been helpful for a lot of people with alcohol dependency and it works very well for a lot of them. It also works for opiate dependency.

There are also people here, like myself who have family members with the same problems and the site helps because family need support as well.  

Best wishes. 

Missykc

Hi. I'm here. I'm glad you're keeping this site alive. Thanks. 

Tony

Hi -- 

I'm new to this site and new to Baclofen since November. I'm at 120 MG and am seeing a lot of progress, but my provider won't increase my dose any further. I'm looking for a provider who will go higher. I live in Oregon, but am willing to travel.

I previously found an addition place in Portland -- Pacific Premier Group -- buy they wouldn't go above 80. My current provider is a family practitioner, and I'm frankly surprised she's gone as far as she did. 

I really appreciate this site. I think it's really unfortunate how difficult it is to get providers to prescribe Baclofen. My sense is that the pharmaceutical companies aren';t pushing it because they can't make any money. The addiction field isn't comfortable because Baclofen doesn't require group or other mental health counseling (and it doesn't require abstinence). And the maximum recommended dose for its original purpose is 80MG.

It's really tragic because it has already made a big difference in my life. 

County Hell

I recall reading in the online pharmacy thread something about some websites selling Baclofen without prescription (or you have to provide the information). This might be an option.

• Like 1

Nicnak

Hi all

Not checked in for a long time but thought I’d let people know that after 8/9 months doing TSM I’m now at what I think is extinction.Did dry jan without any cravings and now only have a drink if I go out.No desire to drink at home.Feeling very very relieved as I was a daily drinker and all day if I was off work 

• Like 2

Nicnak

@Felinathanks,as you might know baclofen worked for me for a while but the severe constipation was extreme so I’m so glad that’s I’ve been given a second chance at this.Although with naltrexone I can still want a drink but it’s like it’s turned me into a “normal” drinker

Felina

@Nicnak that's wonderful. I remember badly that affected you with baclofen. I'm so glad that the naltrexone worked for you. 

Felina

@Tony, you can order additional baclofen online. I have used alldaychemist, goldpharma, and River Pharmacy in the past.