MJM

Checking in February 2019

MJM

Not a lot happening around here... still.

Good news for me is my wife is seeking help for her drinking. She seems really serious about it this time. It is such a relief, but it has also made me think about my alcoholism. 

I have been in survival mode the last few years as she deteriorated. I haven't really progressed, although not drinking for up to 3 months at a time is pretty good. I now have the chance to extend that.

I am reducing my bac from 150mg a day to 125mg, in the hope that might solve my debilitating fatigue. I feel like falling asleep mid-afternoon. I wake feeling like I've been up all night (I haven't). It started about 6 months ago. I have had several blood tests, everything has come back clear. Only thing left to do is a sleep study. I occasionally snore. Bac relaxes muscles, so... maybe it's that. I'm not stopping Bac but I feel that if I can reduce the dose while not getting cravings (assuming it stops the tiredness) then that would be a good result.

I also think it's about time I take on other avenues to treat my alcoholism, perhaps a weekly group meeting or something. Not AA. 

I hope everyone is going well.

• Like 2

Mom2JTx3
On 2/12/2019 at 3:17 PM, MJM said:

Not a lot happening around here... still.

Good news for me is my wife is seeking help for her drinking. She seems really serious about it this time. It is such a relief, but it has also made me think about my alcoholism. 

I have been in survival mode the last few years as she deteriorated. I haven't really progressed, although not drinking for up to 3 months at a time is pretty good. I now have the chance to extend that.

I am reducing my bac from 150mg a day to 125mg, in the hope that might solve my debilitating fatigue. I feel like falling asleep mid-afternoon. I wake feeling like I've been up all night (I haven't). It started about 6 months ago. I have had several blood tests, everything has come back clear. Only thing left to do is a sleep study. I occasionally snore. Bac relaxes muscles, so... maybe it's that. I'm not stopping Bac but I feel that if I can reduce the dose while not getting cravings (assuming it stops the tiredness) then that would be a good result.

I also think it's about time I take on other avenues to treat my alcoholism, perhaps a weekly group meeting or something. Not AA. 

I hope everyone is going well.

Hi @MJM.  Jus an FYI... Baclofen gave me sleep apnea. Badly.  When I went off of Bac (after many years) I could quit using my cpap.

Tony

I have a question -- I recently reached 180 MG. I don't feel terribly different than I did at 120MG -- in terms a side effects or attitudes towards drinking. I'm drinking about 3 beers a night. But I'm not feeling "indifferent."

My questions is: Should I continue upping my dose until I can't bear the symptoms or finally find "indifference?" Or should I give 180 MG a chance? (I just reached it yesterday)

Thanks

MJM
On 3/30/2019 at 6:22 PM, Tony said:

I have a question -- I recently reached 180 MG. I don't feel terribly different than I did at 120MG -- in terms a side effects or attitudes towards drinking. I'm drinking about 3 beers a night. But I'm not feeling "indifferent."

My questions is: Should I continue upping my dose until I can't bear the symptoms or finally find "indifference?" Or should I give 180 MG a chance? (I just reached it yesterday)

Thanks

I'd say give 180MG a chance. Also, is the 3 beers typical for you (ie is that what you had before Bac) or is that a reduced amount? What is indifference for you -- do you want to be abstinant or are you happy to drink small quantities of AL?

Everyone is different, with what they consider unmangeable quantities of alcohol (aside from medical prescriptions on the matter) but also on their personal level of Bac to reach indifference. I can't say I am typical, but certainly I had to do other things in my life to reach some kind of abstinance. In my case I had to taper off Effexor to help reduce my cravings (SSRIs are known for increasing AL cravings in some people). Having a partner who no longer drinks also helped me.

Most important thing you can do is find a good doctor to advise on Bac dose etc. Not always easy, I know...

• Like 1

Tony

I was drinking twice as much or more. I also stretch it out more, so I don't get inebriated like I used to.

My goal is not total abstinence. Although I continue to drink daily, it's mostly out of habit. I do not feel the same pull and no longer have that feeling that I'll feel even better if I have just one more beer. Even when I open that third beer, I often put it back in the fridge after a sip or two. My goal is to drink infrequently, only socially. 

MJM
On 5/14/2019 at 9:33 AM, Tony said:

I was drinking twice as much or more. I also stretch it out more, so I don't get inebriated like I used to.

My goal is not total abstinence. Although I continue to drink daily, it's mostly out of habit. I do not feel the same pull and no longer have that feeling that I'll feel even better if I have just one more beer. Even when I open that third beer, I often put it back in the fridge after a sip or two. My goal is to drink infrequently, only socially. 

You're on the right track if you can put the beer back in the fridge.  For me though, over time Bac ruined my drinking.Only sometimes has it given me much of a buzz in the last year or so. Mostly it has made me feel sleepy.

You might need to pull up altogether for a while, because as you say it's the habit too. It might feel very strange not drinking at first, but you get used to it. Then I guess it would be a treat to have the occasional drink. That's not the way I think about it though, AL has created too much mess in my life for me to want it to be a part of it.