The End of my Addiction
Badass23

Baclofen for benzo withdrawal

Badass23

Hi all - new here!

i have been taking baclofen to assist with benzo withdrawal. So far I’m on 55mg but it doesn’t seem to be helping all that much. When I first started out it was great but as the weeks rolled on it seems to have stopped helping.

can anyone else relate? Is 55mg too low? Any thoughts would be great

thanks 

Edited by Badass23

Otter

I got hooked on Benzodiazapine.  It took a long time to come off it, long before I took any baclofen but I felt lousy for years after I stopped taking it.  I then took baclofen starting about 8 years ago for anxiety and got up to over 100 mg a day but it made me very drugged at that level.  I got off baclofen after  few years and then took it intermittently as and when.  As time goes by taking baclofen, you find it doesn 't feel as though it's doing anything and you ramp up the dose, but now I could take any level and it wouldn't have any side effects so I just take enough to deal with occasional episodes of stress, maybe 20 mg and that works well.  

My experience with baclofen for my anxiety made me feel  that it is very good at allowing me to think through things without getting stressed about them.   After a while, I felt it had made a permanent change, that I became used to the idea that worrying was just a bunch of garbage and if I just calmed my mind, I'd think about how to deal with issues and then do what I needed to do.  

I'd certainly never take benzos again.  I don't stress about anything and if I feel something coming on, I take a couple of baclofen.  Hope that helps.

Pamela Parker

One of my friend addicted with alcohol and BZD dependence and substance-induced depressive disorder (ICD-10) was taking 80 mg per day of diazepam. Diazepam was tapered and stopped over 4 weeks. Baclofen was started at 20 mg/day and was increased to 40 mg/day over 1 week. She was also treated with Mirtazapine 20 mg/day for Benzo depression. She reported significant reduction in craving and withdrawal symptoms over the next 3 weeks. Her depression remitted within 2 month after starting treatment and she continues to remain abstinent from benzo for almost a year. All patients tolerated baclofen well and did not report any side effects on clinical evaluation. Do you taking the baclofen by yourself or prescribed by your doctor?