The End of my Addiction
MJM

Checking In June 2019

MJM

Hello all (or few),

I had tritrated off Bac and had been off it for about 2 weeks, noticing a big ramp up in cravings. I have had many ' minor' nights (ie < one bottle) and a couple of heavy nights on AL. It has not been pleasant. It takes me a full day, sometimes two, to get over a big night on AL. There's a sense of doom surrounding it all when sober too.

I am now tritrating up, day 2 of 12.5mg. I was pretty sensitive to the titrating off Bac, so am trying to be a bit careful going back on.

The dread I felt this week, knowing I had a work trip and that the AL would be flowing fairly freely... and that I knew I'd have cravings. Not great.

So fingers crossed that this wonder drug will work for me again.

The main motivator for going off Bac was my back pain. But I have had a few instances where the back pain has been terrible, without Bac in my system.

So I think Bac may have some influence there, but I'm not able to give it a red hot go of assessing it w/out Bac. I can't wait that long, because of cravings.

There's rhumatoid (sp?) arthritis in my famly, a fairly strong strain of it (my grandmother, my mother and my sister). I think I might have the same thing. My knees randomly threaten to give way and my lower back pain and weakness is such a regular (yet random) feature of my life now. So frustrating.

Complicating things a little is depression. I see a good psych Dr who last week proscribed Lexopro, which I am yet to fill. He is not totally convinced I need it, because of what is going on in my life that is causing stress. 

I continue to use a recumbant exercise bike, trying for at least 3 x 30min per week. Maybe not enough.

Anyway, take care all. Baclofen can be a miracle drug for those who suffer alcohol addiction. It is not always smooth sailing though.

Otter

Hi,  it's a bit quiet here.  Glad to see you are ok.

Baclofen is a muscle relaxant, by the way.  I wonder whether your back pain is because the baclofen is making a lot of muscles relax, ie., all of them, so you are now finding you are putting strain on parts of you back that are being allowed to move around in a different way.  Just a thought but I'm no doctor.  

You are right when you say it is a rough road.  That was something we were discussing several years ago. The big mistake in all this is to take what Olivier Ameisen said about baclofen working "effortlessly", the wrong way. What he meant is that it means you don't have to exert willpower.  When it works, it just stops your cravings in their tracks.

But, what is no "effortless" is dealing with the administration of the medicine and dealing with the other effects and aspects of the medical treatment regime.   

Any idea where everyone is?

guardian

Hi Otter.

I'm also surprised at how little traffic comes through here as well as the old meds forum. I suppose part of that is my fault as I've had experiences that were probably worth sharing since getting under control with baclofen and could very well serve to help others.