The End of my Addiction
Marnie Hart

Desperate to start Baclofen!

Marnie Hart

Hi Everyone,

I live in Christchurch New Zealand and I came across "The End of my Addiction" 2 days ago. I was googling meds for alcohol addiction and I have been trying to get started with reducing my alcohol use by doing an online program called IGNTD. I'm currently using benzo's, bupropion & clonidine to withdraw from Alcohol but with no luck. Now I'm worried about my Benzo usage. I have a really amazing GP who I'm hoping will prescribe Baclofen when he reopens on the 7th of Jan. I've made an appointment to see him then. I can't stop reading The End of my Addiction, I have been suffering from major spinal accidents and surgeries and I feel like I've tried everything to reduce my Alcohol intake. After one recent surgery I was persuaded to go and stay at my parents house to recover in a small town. They ended up ringing the Police 2 days after my major surgery and I ended up in my PJ's running around the streets trying to find someone who would understand that a night in the cells was not what I needed. I was just totally upset and beside myself with being cornered into an "intervention" when all I needed most was understanding and respite. I completely relate to the adverse treatment of a person struggling with addiction in comparison that a patient may receive for other illnesses. Shame, cornering someone into a position when they are completely helpless and needed caring and understanding DOES not work. Especially after major surgery!!! Although I have little faith in many of the Doctors I've had to deal with over the duration of my life. The medical profession is in crisis, and with an aging population it's only going to get worse. Big Pharma's and the current readily prescribed treatment for addiction and anxiety is totally flawed in my opinion. I have a close family member who is a Doctor and I have spent years supporting other family members through serious health issues including Cancer. My Daughter was misdiagnosed for years with chronic asthma, when she had an undiagnosed bronchial infection deep in her lungs. By the time this was finally diagnosed she had been on heavy doses of steroids for 5 years which had stunted her growth. Whoops this is turning into a bit of a novel. Baclofen sounds like the answer to many people's addiction issues and I completely agree with Olivier Ameisen's point of view that the medical profession is a slow moving antiquated profession. Anyway, I'm glad I discovered his book and this forum and I can't wait to try his method! I have a friend who is in Vancouver for the next week & a half and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the possibility that he can bring some Baclofen back for me without a script? Thanks and Merry Xmas!!! 

Felina

Hi @Marnie Hart,

Regarding bringing baclofen from Vancouver without a script: I think your friend will have a hard time since baclofen requires a prescription in Canada. I was unfamiliar with New Zealand's laws regarding ordering from online pharmacies, so I did a little digging. At least from what I saw here, it sounds like it could also be challenging to order it online without a prescription. 

I would suggest putting together all of the research you can on baclofen - the book The End of My Addiction, the research from this website etc. and study it well. Take it with you to your doctor appointment on the 7th. That was how I got my provider to prescribe to me, even though she had never heard of the treatment. Knowledge is power!

Another suggestion would be to reach out to Dr. Amanda Stafford at baclofentreatment.com. She put out a call here for any prescribers in NZ and Australia to reach out if they would be willing to prescribe baclofen. I'm sure she could give you some guidance. 

• Like 1

Marnie Hart

Thanks so much Felina!!!

I'm soooooo glad I didn't waste more time & lots of $$$ trying to order it online to arrive in Canada before he returns to NZ. I have a lot of confidence in my GP so I've already been arming myself up in preparation for the appt on the 7th,, from reading "The End of my Addiction" so thanks for the advice on doing that too. I also just did 36 hours without any wine attempting to use the meds that I have on hand and that have been recommended by multiple Drs, Benzos, clonidine & bupropion, and spent this morning in tears because of an unshakable sense of overwhelming sadness & frustration. Noone on the closed IGNTD facebook "recovery" group that I'm paying for liked or commented on my reaching out from yesterday, although from the course material that's how I first heard about Baclofen, in the "medication primer".

It feels like I've been hitting my head against a brick wall for years while being totally driven and motivated to help others, and myself. Over the last 12 months its been feeling like I'm lying on the floor in undeniable pain, but because I'm drinking, I'm being treated like a criminal & am being kicked by many of the people I thought loved me and wanted to help me. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your reply. "The End of my Addiction" and this new hope feels like a lifeline!

Again thanks for your advice!!!!

• Like 1

Marnie Hart

Hi,

I saw my GP this morning and he looked at the thesis I'd put together on treating Alcohol dependence with Baclofen and gave me a script straight away!

So pleased!!!!

I've started treatment already, Thanks so much for your advice and info Felina!

• Like 1

Felina

OMG that's great news! Congratulations! Please keep us posted on how your progress goes. I found my baclofen titration to be a strange journey, sometimes uncomfortable but ultimately life-changing.

Marnie Hart

I'm 36 hours in and I'm feeling pretty strange already! But I've given myself some time out and I'm feeling kind of like I'm going through something big here! The start of an interesting journey. Thanks so much for your support!

• Like 1