The End of my Addiction

Ian N - My Humble Odyssey

guardian

I've been meaning to post more on the few forums where there is interest regarding baclofen and alcoholism (mywayout, the baclofenforalcoholism reddit, and here. None seem to get much traffic, which is a shame really. But, I realize that it is still my responsibility to share my experience in the hopes that it may help someone who is still suffering. 

I don't know where I would be had I not found mywayout some 8 or 9 years ago, but I am pretty sure I would be worse off than I am now.  

I'm a perfectionist who has difficulty organizing my thoughts and communicating them. The relevance is, I've started this G-damn thing half a dozen times over the last 6 months and scrapped it because it wasn't "good enough."

Well, I'm just going to start shipping it. A lot of it will just be my place to post "sobriety thoughts," some of my struggles in repairing the wreckage I've made, and my journey of growth from someone who has relied on external solutions to internal, existential problems for essentially my entire conscious life. Sprinkled in there will be my experience specific to baclofen.

On that note:

Using baclofen, I achieved indifference to alcohol somewhere in the neighborhood of late January or early February 2019 at a dose of 320 milligrams per day.

Hi @guardian

Great idea to share your story. These forums really need more traffic. My Way Out in particular used to be a really hopping, vibrant community for people interested in baclofen or other meds. 

You mentioned that you found that site 8 or 9 years ago. You actually were the first person to comment on my "bac diary" thread coming up on 10 years ago!  https://www.mywayout.org/community/medication-research-and-support/42837-bac-diary.html - I just re-read that whole thread and was reminded of all the fun we used to have on that forum. The thread also reminded me of how powerful baclofen is and how interesting it was to titrate up - so many weird and unusual side effects, along with crazy dreams. Now that I've been on it for 10 years I barely notice the drug at all.

Anyway, keep sharing your sober thoughts. I too was considering starting a 10 year bac anniversary thread, probably on MWO because that's where I started. I look forward to your posts!

6 hours ago, Felina said:

Hi @guardian

Great idea to share your story. These forums really need more traffic. My Way Out in particular used to be a really hopping, vibrant community for people interested in baclofen or other meds. 

You mentioned that you found that site 8 or 9 years ago. You actually were the first person to comment on my "bac diary" thread coming up on 10 years ago!  https://www.mywayout.org/community/medication-research-and-support/42837-bac-diary.html - I just re-read that whole thread and was reminded of all the fun we used to have on that forum. The thread also reminded me of how powerful baclofen is and how interesting it was to titrate up - so many weird and unusual side effects, along with crazy dreams. Now that I've been on it for 10 years I barely notice the drug at all.

Anyway, keep sharing your sober thoughts. I too was considering starting a 10 year bac anniversary thread, probably on MWO because that's where I started. I look forward to your posts!

Hey @Felina.

Wow. Only off by a few years! Well, I didn't stay on the baclofen for long and like any good alcoholic, I thought that I'd be able to keep it somewhat manageable and still make improvements in my life. Which I did for a time, but of course things became much, much worse. 

Yes! The meds forum during that time felt like a movement. There was this collective feeling like we were winning. I do like your idea of doing a thread on MWO because, well, that's where it all began. I'm seriously considering making a parallel thread, just to reach more people. 

• 1 month later...

@Sean are you taking 80 mg 3x/day (240 mgs/day)? That is WAY too high a starting dose and could lead to horrible, disastrous side effects. Even 80 mgs a day is too high to start. People who try to run their own baclofen titration without any information generally have the absolute worst experiences, including hospitalization. If you just started, please start here for information: click here

The usual titration involves starting out at 10-15 mgs a day, then increasing by 10 mgs every 3-4 days or 20 mgs a week. Please don't try to rush ahead like you're apparently doing, and do some research on baclofen before continuing. There is a great section on this forum.

People often continue to drink while (slowly) titrating up on baclofen. You will know it's working when your desire to drink gradually decreases, then disappears. But you have to start slow and work your way up.

• Like 1