The End of my Addiction

Merry Christmas and happy holidays!

My mother brought up "Festivus for the Rest of Us" and the Airing of Grievances from Seinfeld the other day. As one would expect, there's a lot of activity on Facebook about it as well. 

There is much in my life situation which I am not happy with, but accept that it's either out of my hands or temporary. For the first time in my life, I have nothing that I can complain about and so much to be thankful for and look forward to. 

I'll be closing this year out as the first in my post-adolescent life where I have not been drunk. Not once. 

I know that this is a board specific to recovery using baclofen, and I owe my early "sobriety" to baclofen therapy.

I got sober on baclofen before, several times. But when life events (or my perspective on them) occurred which I could not accept, or I felt that my life was empty of fun, or I felt lonely for old times and people, I would quickly taper down and resume drinking. Eventually I would taper off completely. Nearly 2 years "sober" on baclofen, and I am finally experience some of the things talked about in "The Promises" of Alcoholics Anonymous. I still believe that, for me, I needed baclofen first. AA would never have worked for me until many decades had passed, if ever. 

I am very grateful for the work of OA, baclofen, and the fellowship at MWO where I first learned there could be a "cure." But also I am grateful from my many, many failures, and the pain that I have experienced since becoming sober with baclofen. I would never have found this place of peace without them.

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

Edited by guardian