The End of my Addiction

Naltrexone question about prescribing

Mentium

I've been reading a lot about Nal and will hopefully get a prescription next week some time. I am however puzzled and would be grateful for any thoughts on the following.

The Sinclair method, from what I have read is a pretty convincing treatment. Lots of evidence that it has a high success rate etc. However most supporters of the S method seem to suggest it is next to useless if you take it and abstain. I understand the logic of this from my reading and the 'extinction' idea.

I don't wish to sound naïve but why is it prescribed at all if the abstention approach doesn't work? Is it just the perverse workings of the medical and meds trial systems and a knee jerk reaction to the issue or am I missing something? Can it perhaps have an anti craving effect while taken along with abstaining?

• Like 2

There's plenty of evidence that it also works if you abstain. (Again, that information hasn't been posted yet, but there is plenty of research that indicates that fact. Someone should get on that when she finds the time. Ahem.) And yes, there is the argument, made by the research that was done on patients who were trying to abstain (and were successful) that it reduced their cravings.

I think it worked that way for me...And I know there is a person from MWO, who will hopefully be along shortly, who took it daily and found it reduced her cravings. (She also used it with baclofen...)

• Like 1

Actually, I think it might be something of a knee jerk reaction from doctors generally - you have to show you are "serious" about wanting to give up alcohol, before we will give you the benefit of drug treatment. There's something vaguely moralistic about this approach, as there is to all treatments for alcoholism, which deep deep down, many people consider a failure of willpower - doctors are no exception though they should know better!

• Like 3

Naltrexone wasn't prescribed for me with abstenance, but I did go direct to a private Dr who agreed to prescribe as per TSM. My own GP took over once it was obvious I was seeing great results from the method.

• Like 2