The End of my Addiction

There are many of us who use supplements and vitamins as part of our strategy to get or stay healthy while we're drinking and/or trying to quit.

There are also supplements that can help with some of the issues we face, everything from increased anxiety to insomnia. 

What do you take and why? 

(I'm not really the person to start off this discussion, because I simply take what my psychiatrist tells me to take. She is a firm believer that people with alcoholism need supplementation for several reasons, most of which she hasn't explained to me or I wasn't listening. :( But I am interested and looking forward to reading more about it.) 

• Like 2
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Felina

• Ne1

• SKendall

• Jetsman32

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

http://anthonycolpo.com/new-study-women-with-higher-cholesterol-live-longer/ and I found that after two seconds search Here is a starting point Ne. I am not saying don't work on your diet bu

Thank you @KUYA, I feel the same way regarding fats and sugar. I actually seek out saturated fats (grass-fed/pastured animal fats, coconut/MCT oil and red palm oil) and try to eat them more often rath

I realize I am pretty late to the party on this one, so allow me to commence by ingratiating myself and saying that it's fantastic to read these posts from such a smart bunch of people, who not only k

Posted Images

Missykc

I take supplements. I send in a hair sample and answer questions and the company, Endo-Met, sends me the supplements they recommend. I also get a booklet telling me what's going on with me physically and emotionally. They measure heavy metals. Sodium potassium levels and on and on. They compare previous samples with past tests. 

• Like 3

I take garlic, niacinamide, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin D, a B complex vitamin, selenium, milk thistle, and Now Foods Liver Detoxifier and Regenerator. Also l-trypophan for sleep, which is by far the best sleep aid I've found. I have a big tub of l-glut but I don't remember to use that as much as I should.

Edited by Felina
spelling
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Missykc said:

I take supplements. I send in a hair sample and answer questions and the company, Endo-Met, sends me the supplements they recommend. I also get a booklet telling me what's going on with me physically and emotionally. They measure heavy metals. Sodium potassium levels and on and on. They compare previous samples with past tests. 

I firmly believe in supplements, although everyone's requirements may vary a lot. I know they have been hugely beneficial over the years both in relation to drinking but also hair loss, smoking and mood. I would love an analysis done if it weren't too expensive.

Edited by KUYA
  • Like 2
Missykc
14 hours ago, Felina said:

@Missykc I would like to know more about that company. Is the hair analysis expensive? 

I offer this to my patients. I think the cost is about $85. If you're in the states you could google them to see who does it in your area. Kuya, you're right. It's a waste to take supplements that we think we might need and don't. It's been interesting to me to see how I change and my supplements change over time. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Missykc said:

I offer this to my patients. I think the cost is about $85. If you're in the states you could google them to see who does it in your area. Kuya, you're right. It's a waste to take supplements that we think we might need and don't. It's been interesting to me to see how I change and my supplements change over time. 

Most of the time I can 'feel' what I need and am drawn to it.

one supplement I need almost full time is coenzyme Q10. I think my body cannot manufacture enough for some reason and if I go about six weeks off it I feel exhausted.

i have taken it for 25 years and had an interesting experience at a new dentist. When he heard how much I smoked he said 'I am going to take X-rays to show you how much damage you have done to your gums'  As he walked back into the room with the X-ray he said 'Fuck!, your gums are perfect'.

we discussed the CoQ10 and he said he had heard that it protected gums but he hadn't believed it. Now he DID!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Felina said:

I take garlic, niacinamide, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin D, a B complex vitamin, selenium, milk thistle, and Now Foods Liver Detoxifier and Regenerator. Also l-trypophan for sleep, which is by far the best sleep aid I've found. I have a big tub of l-glut but I don't remember to use that as much as I should.

Have you tried Melatonin for sleep.  It's amazing.  I got it from Biovea.  It is the natural chemical which makes you sleep.  I am getting some more next week.  Haven't used it for a few years.  Most of the other stuff I have used. 

• Like 2

I've tried melatonin in the past, but I found that l-trytophan works much better for me. I saw in another post that someone - Kuya? - used them both and found antidepressant benefits. I might try that. I always keep a bottle of melatonin around for my dogs' thunderstorm anxiety. :)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, KUYA said:

one supplement I need almost full time is coenzyme Q10. I think my body cannot manufacture enough for some reason and if I go about six weeks off it I feel exhausted.

How much CoQ10 do you take, Kuya? I just started taking it with lipitor for my cholesterol, which is off the charts. :(

On 4/3/2016 at 3:42 PM, Missykc said:

I take supplements. I send in a hair sample and answer questions and the company, Endo-Met, ...

9 hours ago, Missykc said:

I offer this to my patients. I think the cost is about $85. 

I googled Endo-Met and the hair analysis is $175! I wonder if there's a cheaper option somewhere. 

Maybe this one? Do you think it matters in terms of quality of analysis?

http://hairanalysisreport.com/?gclid=CJnGuM_t9csCFZSCfgodJh0Ofg

The basic hair analysis is $85 but it doesn't come with recommendations.

The upgrade is $135, but it comes with nutrition and supplement recommendations...

They need untreated hair, though. That would be a problem in my world. I'd have to find out how much they need, because I don't let the roots grow out more than a 1/4 inch before I start freaking out about all the gray in my hair! 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Ne1 said:

How much CoQ10 do you take, Kuya? I just started taking it with lipitor for my cholesterol, which is off the charts. :(

Depends on prices but 150 -200 mg . When I first discovered it you were lucky to find 10mg and it cost a fortune, but it saved my health in many ways.

BTW women's cholesterol is supposed to be high as they get older. What is yours if you don't mind me asking.

Treating high cholesterol in women is mistaken. The only group to show benefit from statins are men who have already had heart attacks. If Lipitor is a statin do your research! The side effects plus NO statistical gain makes statins the biggest con perpetrated on mankind.

i also dye my hair so that ain't gonna fly for me either ?

Edited by KUYA
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, KUYA said:

Depends on prices but 150 -200 mg . When I first discovered it you were lucky to find 10mg and it cost a fortune, but it saved my health in many ways.

BTW women's cholesterol is supposed to be high as they get older. What is yours if you don't mind me asking.

Treating high cholesterol in women is mistaken. The only group to show benefit from statins are men who have already had heart attacks. If Lipitor is a statin do your research! The side effects plus NO statistical gain makes statins the biggest con perpetrated on mankind.

i also dye my hair so that ain't gonna fly for me either ?

Thanks for the info. 

My total cholesterol is 300. More alarming are my triglycerides, which are off the charts. I will look into the info about statins, thanks. 

I'm thinking if I go an extra week, and they just need a tiny sliver of the gray, then maybe I'll check it out. lol

2 hours ago, SKendall said:

I  use the melatonin too - 10 mg.  I  heard you can only take it for 3 wks then have a break.  Anyone heard that?

I heard that too SK and since it also makes me a little hung over I don't take it regularly nowadays.

My greatest find sleep wise was vit D3. Apparently the sleep centre in the brain needs this vit to function and since many of us do not get enough sunlight we are deficient. I took massive doses for about a month (5x5000iu) and now I take 5000iu a day. Taking this occurred at the same time as I quit smoking so I don't know which one is the cure but a lifetime of VERY VERY bad insomnia is cured.

Upside is vit D3 is cheap

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Ne1 said:

Thanks for the info. 

My total cholesterol is 300. More alarming are my triglycerides, which are off the charts. I will look into the info about statins, thanks. 

I'm thinking if I go an extra week, and they just need a tiny sliver of the gray, then maybe I'll check it out. lol

http://anthonycolpo.com/new-study-women-with-higher-cholesterol-live-longer/

and I found that after two seconds search

Here is a starting point Ne. I am not saying don't work on your diet but don't add another dangerous drug into your body when the science is SEVERELY flawed.

Statins were 'discovered' by a Japanese researcher and thrown in the back of a cupboard as useless.

They were pulled out by an American drug company years later and overnight (literally) millions of American citizens woke up with a 'new' disease. It is a gigantic con.

Even doctors fall for it...including my own. My age, slim, non smoking, non drinking, fit , healthy diet....high cholesterol...took statins....had his heart surgery two years ago! He would defend this by saying 'it's my genes'. But how come people were so much healthier back when they were living on a 'pig fat' based diet. 

It is sugar that is killing us, not fat or cholesterol, good or bad.

• Like 6

Thank you @KUYA, I feel the same way regarding fats and sugar. I actually seek out saturated fats (grass-fed/pastured animal fats, coconut/MCT oil and red palm oil) and try to eat them more often rather than cut them out of my diet. My sugar-and-canola oil-eating family's heads explode when I tell them about my diet. Sugar is the devil. But damn, it is an attractive devil, and it's a real struggle to avoid.

Edited by Felina
  • Like 5
6 minutes ago, Felina said:

Thank you @KUYA, I feel the same way regarding fats and sugar. I actually seek out saturated fats (grass-fed/pastured animal fats, coconut/MCT oil and red palm oil) and try to eat them more often rather than cut them out of my diet. My sugar-and-canola oil-eating family's heads explode when I tell them about my diet. Sugar is the devil. But damn, it is an attractive devil, and it's a real struggle to avoid.

@FelinaLikewise with the good meats and oils. I also eat butter (wouldn't allow canola or margarine in my house!). I try to find non homogenised milk, but that is difficult and my daughter doesn't like it.

I have recently treated candida that I didnt realise I had and my sweet tooth (that really kicked in when I quit smoking) has nearly disappeared. Man this is such a ride once pieces start to fall into place.

Edited by KUYA
  • Like 2
Molly78

I have to tell you people before you pay good money that there is absolutely no evidence base for hair analysis. I mean, don't let that worry you if you strongly believe in it because the placebo effect is powerful.

Kuya said "most of the time I can feel what I need & am drawn to it".  I think that's as good a basis for taking supplements as hair analysis & it's free!

I'm getting the impression that with supplements it's trial & error, & response is very individual, so please don't throw your money away!

I hope this post won't be seen as hostile - it's not intended that way, I just can't shut up when I think people are being conned. And it's only my opinion.

(If I get any more defensive I will end up deleting the entire post......)

• Like 1

Frankly, I don't have the money for getting a hair sample right now, so for me it's moot. Plus, there's the whole letting-the-gray-show thing. I'm VERY self conscious about my gray hair. It's not the pretty kind, not yet anyway. If I'm lucky I'll have my grandmother's white hair. But that's much beside the point, isn't it? Yes, yes it is.

I am going to find out more about what my psychiatrist has me on and why. It's important information, I think, and I'd like to share it here. I see her tomorrow and will share. 

I will tell you that low vitamin D is an epidemic. Here's the article where I first read about it: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/power-d

The article is a quick read, and very interesting. (It's also legitimate, with legitimate and cited sources.) Bottom line? The Institute of Medicine increased the recommendation from 200 to 600 international units per day for most of the population, despite the overwhelming evidence that MUCH more than that has huge health benefits and few downsides. 

"The IOM panel members acknowledged all of these findings — and didn’t use any of them in setting vitamin D recommendations. They were very forthcoming about why.

“We looked extensively at those areas,” Brannon says. In non-bone research, she says, “we found very limited randomized controlled trials, and evidence for cause and effect was not present.”

The author makes a very good argument against both the IOM and the new recommendation.

• Like 2

There is much to respond to that's already been written, but instead I'm going to share with you some info I found in my favorite book A Prescription for Alcoholics about vitamin B1.

Benfotiamine– a high dose Vitamin B1– completed Phase 4 trials in chronic long-term alcoholics where it was found to be beneficial– particularly for women. Severe alcoholism can be associated with significant nutritional and vitamin deficiency, especially vitamin B1 (thiamine) which is related to neurological deficits impacting mood and cognition. The study found that “alcohol consumption decreased from baseline levels for 9 of 10 BF treated women after 1 month of treatment compared with 2 of 11 on PlaceboReductions in total alcohol consumption over 6 months were significantly greater for BF treated women.” 413 Further research into the subset of men that were studied also found that it appeared to “reduce psychiatric distress and may facilitate recovery in severely affected males with a lifetime alcohol use disorder and should be considered for adjuvant therapy in alcohol rehabilitation.” 414

Burlison, Linda (2016-02-02). A Prescription for Alcoholics - Medications for Alcoholism (Kindle Locations 9906-9910). Stonecutter Books. Kindle Edition. (Pages 499-500 in the book.)

The dose the people took that resulted in the improvements was 600mg/day. 

Needless to say, I ordered some. 

Thanks for the discussion, everyone. Looking forward to learning more. 

• Like 2
Molly78
49 minutes ago, Ne1 said:

Frankly, I don't have the money for getting a hair sample right now, so for me it's moot. Plus, there's the whole letting-the-gray-show thing. I'm VERY self conscious about my gray hair. It's not the pretty kind, not yet anyway. If I'm lucky I'll have my grandmother's white hair. But that's much beside the point, isn't it? Yes, yes it is.

I am going to find out more about what my psychiatrist has me on and why. It's important information, I think, and I'd like to share it here. I see her tomorrow and will share. 

Ne, will you ask her as well about the hair analysis please?  I would be interested to hear the opinion of someone who believes in supplements & prescribes them, & what she bases her treatment regimes on.

Interesting stuff on Vit D - especially as I am on it! I have polymyalgia rheumatica, an auto-immune disease occurring mainly in people over 65. So I am on high dose steroids so I need Adcal (vit D+ calcium) & aledronic acid (don't ask) to protect my bone strength.  I'm on week 7 now. It's difficult to attribute feeling better (which I do) to anything specific as I am on so much. Anecdotally vitD helps with depression if you are depleted, but it seems that study didn't find any benefit for anything?

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Molly78 said:

Ne, will you ask her as well about the hair analysis please?  I would be interested to hear the opinion of someone who believes in supplements & prescribes them, & what she bases her treatment regimes on.

...Anecdotally vitD helps with depression if you are depleted, but it seems that study didn't find any benefit for anything?

I will ask her tomorrow. 

The article reported:

A recent Nebraska study links increased vitamin D intake to less cancer risk, for example, while Japanese scientists find that the vitamin helps fight influenza. Other recent work has connected higher levels of vitamin D with lower risks of hypertension, Parkinson’s disease and heart disease.

While the evidence is not overwhelming about some of these benefits, some of the others (reduced occurrence of colon cancer, among other things) are irrefutable. 

Anyway, my vitamin D levels are chronically low and I'm a redhead with fair skin and a genetic link (mother) to two different kinds of deadly skin cancer, so I take vitamin D and try to get some sun on my back occasionally. I have a good friend, and supplement guru, who tells me that oral vitamin D does not replace the sun, and is almost worthless, but whatever. My mom has had melanoma 3x and some weird and very rare other form of skin cancer I can't remember...

Sorry about the polymyalgia rheumatica and the high dose steroids. They can be tough to take, I know. Glad you're getting good care. 

2 hours ago, Felina said:

I forgot one other supplement I take: BioKult probiotics.

Has anyone here tried the GAPS diet? 

Probiotics are on my list of things to add to my daily intake. My stomach is really screwed up these days. I mean badly...

What's the GAPS diet? 

It's not a weight loss diet but a program to heal the gut (and many other issues, especially autoimmune disorders). It is similar to the Paleo/Whole30 way of eating, with a heavy emphasis on probiotics. I think the difference is that it starts out being extremely restrictive - you start on a meat/bone broth diet and gradually add foods to check for any reactions/sensitivities. 

Quick link: What is the GAPS Diet

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Molly78 said:

I sent my psychiatrist an email and asked her about hair analysis. She says it's legit, and that she's had friends who have done it to find food allergies and vitamin deficiencies and that both that and blood testing yield useful results.

So there you have it. 

6 hours ago, Felina said:

It's not a weight loss diet but a program to heal the gut (and many other issues, especially autoimmune disorders). It is similar to the Paleo/Whole30 way of eating, with a heavy emphasis on probiotics. I think the difference is that it starts out being extremely restrictive - you start on a meat/bone broth diet and gradually add foods to check for any reactions/sensitivities. 

Quick link: What is the GAPS Diet

I checked it out and it freaked me out. All of the restrictive diets do...But Ed and I have to do something. More on that at a later date...

There's a person from MWO who I'm really, really, REALLY, hoping will join us who knows a lot about nutrition. Like A LOT. She's a little gun shy because of the animosity that she's experienced over there. It's hard to convince people it will really be different here. :(

Gotta run. Husband's in the house and I'm STARVING. (Speaking of nutrition, I eat next to nothing--or junk--during the day and it's a habit that needs to be broken.) 

PS. I think we need a whole 'nother thread about nutrition, don't you guys? It's important and separate from supps and vits...

• Like 1

It freaks me out a little bit too, but only because I really like to eat. The reasoning behind it is completely sound in my opinion, and a lot of people swear by it. Elimination diets are a great way to figure out food allergies/sensitivities. I have this on my "To Do: Some Day" list, but I wonder if the "Some Day" will ever happen :)

Anyway, back to supplements. I do agree that a nutrition thread would be a great idea. 

• Like 1
Molly78
13 hours ago, Ne1 said:

I sent my psychiatrist an email and asked her about hair analysis. She says it's legit, and that she's had friends who have done it to find food allergies and vitamin deficiencies and that both that and blood testing yield useful results.

So there you have it. 

I agree blood testing is useful, I can't find any EVIDENCE that hair analysis will tell you what your allergies are - despite the claims of the companies that want to take your money! In fact, I just did a quick Google - lots of articles/papers showing they are of no value at all either in diagnosing allergies or in telling you what supplements you need.

Now elimination diets will definitely tell you what your allergies/intolerances are - but they are hard work.

Edited by Molly78
  • Like 1