The End of my Addiction

A question about brain chemistry and recovery..

Mentium

If one reads anything about the effects of alcohol on the brain one soon learns that alcohol hijacks the brain chemistry associated with dopamine and the stuff that makes you feel good, or OK, in everyday life. And if you stop habitual drinking one of the reasons it can be a struggle is that this mechanism has not kicked back in under its own steam as it were. The 'lack' of the good stuff whether it be alcohol or the brain's own systems can leave one flat and depressed - often for long periods. This is one reason I think I have found it difficult to string long periods of abstinence together.

I don't know if anyone can answer this question - or point me in the right direction, but is there any notion of how long it takes for that mechanism to recover and get back to normal? I assume it depends on the severity of the drinking etc.

I can't give you a technical answer to that question, but speaking for myself, I don't think my brain would ever have recovered without baclofen. Maybe that is due to some extent to length of time I had been drinking. But if I think back a very long way, I don't think I was ever comfortable in my own skin. I was always socially anxious, a bit withdrawn, a bit OCD (or autistic even), & I don't see that side of me going away even after a long while off alcohol.

Sorry - I don't think you want to hear me banging on again about how wonderful bac is, I know you didn't like it. Hopefully someone will be along in a minute with a more constructive answer.

Hey, Mentium, it's SNOWING here in Notts - I guess you're having similar weather. Last week I was out in the garden in a T-shirt! 

• Like 1

I dont know about anyone else Menty but I was well depressed during my alcohol days and post 2nd January I have left the Sertroline behind - Although this has been "replaced" with Baclofen the results are (IMO) fantastic

Gone are the days of coming home from work and having a wine or ten, I no longer hate having people around in case they drink all my wine - I now reach for the coffee, some water or the like, instinctively - My only concern is whether or not I will feel this way when I stop Baclofen?

So, the answer to your question is, I have no idea but what I do know is that it can happen 

Regards

Bacman

Mentium

I really don't know. I don't use any medication (bar some topical stuff for my skin and occasional migraine meds).

I do know that there are still ups and downs, mood swings, general every day life stuff once alcohol is removed. Having spoken to non-alchies, it would seem this is normal, they get pretty much the same thing and so I accept it as being a human. I have thought/felt I could do with some antidepressents, but keep on keeping on, and usually my mood lifts with a bit of effort. I'd rather be me as I am.

Regards craving alcohol I think that after about 1 year without booze, that the brain is sort of reset. I've come to this conclusion from talking to long term abstainers, who haven't used meds to quit who tell me that after a year it's just normal for them not to drink and the desire is just not there. This also matches with my own experience - life without booze has becomes normal, and I believe that TSM simply gave me a kick start by removing my desire/burning craving/sort of got me over the initial hump. The habit has simply gone and I don't want to form any new one!

Life without booze aint perfect, it's simply different and more manageable - I don't have the additional complication of the influence of booze.