The End of my Addiction

Am I going to be on Baclofen for ever

Baclofenman

I am currently happily residing on 100mg of Baclofen a day

I titrated to 150mg/day and reduced to this for the last few months - I get the odd urge for a drink but I can make this subside without any anxiety after a moment or two

So - When am I able to titrate down? - Am I ever going to be able to stop Baclofen and remain abstinent? 

I read somewhere that a year was a good yard mark to aim for - I must admit I am a little apprehensive about stopping, I really do not want to be tempted and go back to where I was before 

Has anyone remained abstinent/moderate following finishing with Baclofen or is the advice to cut down as low as I can and keep going, for live?

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

Your posts say at the bottom "AF since Jan 2016" which is about 4 months. I would say that's early to be thinking about even reducing your dose of bac. I guess it depends a bit on your past history - how many years you have been a heavy drinker. I have been on bac now for 2 1/2 years at 100 - 150 mg daily. Sober but not abstinent. But my history goes back 3 decades, so I'm not in a hurry to reduce. I'm still fighting the "habit" of drinking, even though the craving has gone. If I reduced the bac I would relapse.

There are definitely some people around who have come off bac & remained sober, but for obvious reasons they aren't posting much.

• Like 2

Hi Molly

Yes - I am a big time drinker of 30 (and a little) years

I suppose I am looking at the hesitant people you outline to come forward - I totally get the habit side of things - I dont really see why anyone would be reserved in coming forward? -

I dont really know what to expect answer wise - I guess I am looking for a "keep going" sort of answer

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

Bacman, I took baclofen for almost 3 years. I pretty much drank  a bottle of wine or a number of drinks daily for 35 years. If there was enough alcohol I got buzzed or drunk  

I switched at 80 mgs and maintained at between 30-50 mgs. 

My goal was to drink moderately. Initially I didn't keep alcohol at home and after 2 drinks I was done. I've gone in phases with having alcohol in my home. I can see that if I didn't have things I like to do or if I didn't pay attention I could slowly slide back into over drinking. It's not like it's in my thoughts or that I battle it. 

I think I got drunk once while I was on baclofen and I drove home and was really pissed at myself. That feeling makes me uncomfortable with over drinking. My thoughts are scattered but I hope they help. 

• Like 3

Bacman,

From my obsessive reading on mwo, it seems to be a very individual thing.  Ameison went down to 30mg if I remember correctly which would be great.  Tk credits his success to continuing a high level of Bac, although he has slowly gone down over the years. I'm sorry, I can't remember where I saw that, but I think he said he was at 180 now?  My doc wants me to start titrating down, but I'm afraid.  She knows how much I'm on (260) and is concerned.  I think the French forum recommends staying at your switch dose for at least three months.  

For me, I'm not messing around anytime soon.  I'm actually thinking of going up because I've been going through a stressful time and I'm finding the call for relief is getting harder to ignore, and I'm not always ignoring it.

So, I guess that wasn't very helpful ?, but you just don't know until you try.  When you do think the time is right, go very slowly.  I've seen 10mg a week recommended.  See how you feel.  

Mom2

• Like 2

hmmm. Well my experience is this:

High of 320mg in Feb 2011. Up and down and all around for the next year or so. Settled at ~220mg for close to two years, give or take. Then titrated down to 80mg over many months. I was at 80mg for about 4 months when I started drinking more. Then it was daily, but still not excessive. Then it was more and more and more and here I am a year and a half later still trying to find contented sobriety again. 

I have seen very few people go completely off of baclofen and stay sober. The few that I have seen are absolutely committed to abstinence and may go to AA or do some sort of other things to help them stay sober. (Including other meds.) 

Also, as Molly said, I think it depends on how much people drank, for how long, and (in my humble opinion) how much it runs in the family. But the bottom line is that no one has the answer to that question yet. 

On 4/26/2016 at 7:48 PM, Mom2JTx3 said:

Bacman,

From my obsessive reading on mwo, it seems to be a very individual thing.  Ameison went down to 30mg if I remember correctly which would be great.  Tk credits his success to continuing a high level of Bac, although he has slowly gone down over the years. I'm sorry, I can't remember where I saw that, but I think he said he was at 180 now?  My doc wants me to start titrating down, but I'm afraid.  She knows how much I'm on (260) and is concerned.  I think the French forum recommends staying at your switch dose for at least three months.  

I don't know that anyone really knows how much Ameisen took over the years. He was pretty cagey about the amount, actually.  And we don't know whether or not he relapsed at any point. (Though he maintained that he did not there has been some debate as to that.) 

Mom, I don't know that there is any reason we have to be concerned about the amount of baclofen we're taking over the long term. We don't know definitively, but I'm certainly willing to risk it knowing that my own 20+ years of alcoholism has probably already shortened my life. I can't imagine what another 30 years of it would do...If I made it that long. Alcohol messes a body up. (EDIT: Terryk and I had a discussion, oh about 5 years ago now, about whether or not baclofen had a negative effect on cognition/brain function. He found a bunch of information about how much alcohol negatively affects the brain, and impairs thinking and the reward system--permanently. As in, never gonna get it back. Particularly for those of us who started when we were teenagers. That's when I decided that taking baclofen long term was worth the risk. And terryk certainly doesn't seem any dumber for it. ;) )

@terryk that he stopped drinking around 240/260 and has maintained close to that for the last 5 years. And yes, I think he said 180mg the last time he updated. I wish I'd done it his way. My way wasn't the brightest of options. Then again, when has it been? And I still haven't learned... O.o

• Like 3

Absolutely agree with Ne - NOTHING could be worse for the body than continuing alcohol abuse. OK, bac might have some long term SE, but I'll go with these rather than risk what I know will happen if I continue to drink the way I have been for the last 10 years.

I think it's important we continue to discuss, debate & research potential SE of bac, but only so we can inform our decision to continue (or not) to take it. All drugs have SE. The decision to take them is a balance between effect & side effect - that applies to any treatment of any condition.

• Like 1

Hey, I have some experience here, but I fear that it is quite an individualistic question, so YMMV.

I've been on and off baclofen about 3 times (currently off for about a year) since the beginning of 2011. The first time, I remained on it for (don't quote me on exact dates) about a year, went off and was fine for a few months. I then noticed drinking, and more specifically, the urge to drink, creeping up. Once I was aware of the urge, it seemed to surge, and so I went back on, and things were good again. Rinse and repeat.

This time, no idea why, but something seems to have stuck, a bit. I still drink (other than a year of not drinking during baclofen, I have drunk the whole time on baclofen), but i am happy with the levels, and more importantly the consequences, or lack thereof.

My advice would be to experiment around. One thing in favour of this is that your body seems to remember baclofen, and so the SE's are easier each time. This isn't just my experience, I have seen this reported in most cases where people have re-titrated.

I still wait to see if the effect will wear off, but it's been about a year, so I think any chemical questions have been answered, perhaps it has been 5 years of changed behaviour that has resulted in this change - I'm not sure...

• Like 2

I'll tell ya' that in my experience, baclofen freaking works. I switched around 240mg or so, I forget exactly (someone go dig up my old thread on MWO ;). But as soon as I came off, I started drinking again. Never went back on the bac, and with the exception of one white-knuckle period of 7 months and a couple 30 days here and there, been drinking since.

You can reduce from the switch dose, after a while, but man let me tell you it seems like going all the way off is a bad idea. The French research trials have more info on that part, if you care to google, but even they are less clear on the what to do on the way down than on the way up.

• Like 2

On 29/04/2016 at 5:12 PM, Ne1 said:

I don't know that there is any reason we have to be concerned about the amount of baclofen we're taking over the long term. 

Ne, any information on this would be very interesting indeed - Yup, AL is going to fuck you up long term but I had never considered that Baclofen may have any long term effects, if any - I guess it is too early for results to be evident?

Thanks all for your information

I think it appears to be that if you stop Baclofen totally, the need for reward through AL returns

Regards

Bacman

I can't bring up studies at the tip of my fingers, 'cause I'm not that cool. But baclofen has been used for so long in paraplegics and others who need it as a muscle relaxant, that it's pretty clear that long-term bac is not an issue.

TerryK will be able to provide the appropriate references, I'm sure. :) 

9 minutes ago, StuckinLA said:

I can't bring up studies at the tip of my fingers, 'cause I'm not that cool. But baclofen has been used for so long in paraplegics and others who need it as a muscle relaxant, that it's pretty clear that long-term bac is not an issue.

Baclofen has certainly been prescribed for spasticity in the UK officially since c1966 - However my understanding is that it is being (has been) replaced by Gabapentin, in some cases as it has been seen to cause muscle wastage/fatigue after long term usage - Which of course is fairly important to those with MS but may or may not be relevant to "normal" users

Of course considering long term side effects between AUD and MS et al sufferers will have many contradictions so probably best to stick to effects in AUD cases

Regards

Bacman

I've been on 140 mgs/day for over five years. I would like to go down to 60-80/day but I am too afraid of what might happen. I've been toying with the idea of getting either naltrexone or gabapentin and experimenting with a gradual decrease in my baclofen, largely because I do worry a little about long-term effects. If you're happy and sober at 100/day, I wouldn't suggest changing your dosage anytime soon.

Edited by Felina
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, StuckinLA said:

From High-dose oral baclofen: Experience in patients with Multiple Sclerosis:

"There are several references to long-term, high-dose baclofen treatment for spasticity. Jones and Lance summarised their experience with 113 patients with spasticity treated with baclofen for up to 6 years. Baclofen dosage ranged from 30 to 200mg daily with the mean varying from 60 to 110mg depending on the cause of spasticity. Treatment was abandoned in only four patients because of intolerable side effects, and another 20% required a reduction in dosage. [...] Pinto et al identified patients who had taken up to 225mg daily for up to 30 months and emphasized that many patients need more than 100 mg daily and that side effects are only infrequently a persisting problem."

-tk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Baclofenman said:

Baclofen has certainly been prescribed for spasticity in the UK officially since c1966 - However my understanding is that it is being (has been) replaced by Gabapentin, in some cases as it has been seen to cause muscle wastage/fatigue after long term usage - Which of course is fairly important to those with MS but may or may not be relevant to "normal" users

Of course considering long term side effects between AUD and MS et al sufferers will have many contradictions so probably best to stick to effects in AUD cases

I'm confused about this, actually. I didn't think that gabapentin and baclofen were used for the same conditions. One is a muscle relaxer for people with spasticity, the other a pain reliever for people with nerve pain, not spasticity. I think it is two completely different applications, though possibly used in combination for those with MS or other muscle-impairing diseases. I could very well be wrong. But aren't the two very different in their initial uses and applications? 

It has always concerned me that the only groups of people we have to compare ourselves to are people who are very likely going to live shortened lives, regardless of their medications. I mean, MS or paraplegia are a long way from "functioning alcoholism". Right? But maybe not.

On the other hand, I reconciled myself to the fact that their health and well being are, in general, so poor (in terms of brain functioning and neurochemistry) that there isn't actually a predictable comparison. If your immune system is attacking your own body, or you've been paralyzed for some reason, the risks to your health are MUCH greater than the average human being. Even one such as me, who smokes and drinks way too much. 

So back to my original point...There's no telling. How could we know? Ameisen came out with his book in what, 2008? It's only been 8 years. That's nothing in terms of finding long term results...If it helps, here in the U.S. we can fast-trac meds that may help millions and kill many thousands and then only fine the pharma companies a couple of million, while they pay the same (or more) to their CEOs and shareholders. But that's me being cynical and playing into the whole conspiracy thing, which I really try to avoid. Really. Let's ignore that last statement. 

I don't know if you'll have to be on baclofen forever. I remember asking myself the same question, and gnashing my teeth about it. Now? I'd rather be on it and sober and contented than struggling to find that place again. That's for damn sure. 

Boy, I'm a bummer tonight, aren't I? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terryk said:

"There are several references to long-term, high-dose baclofen treatment for spasticity. Jones and Lance summarised their experience with 113 patients with spasticity treated with baclofen for up to 6 years. Baclofen dosage ranged from 30 to 200mg daily with the mean varying from 60 to 110mg depending on the cause of spasticity. Treatment was abandoned in only four patients because of intolerable side effects, and another 20% required a reduction in dosage. [...] Pinto et al identified patients who had taken up to 225mg daily for up to 30 months and emphasized that many patients need more than 100 mg daily and that side effects are only infrequently a persisting problem."

-tk

This is why TerryK is the man. In case anybody needed evidence.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Felina said:

I've been on 140 mgs/day for over five years. I would like to go down to 60-80/day but I am too afraid of what might happen. I've been toying with the idea of getting either naltrexone or gabapentin and experimenting with a gradual decrease in my baclofen, largely because I do worry a little about long-term effects. If you're happy and sober at 100/day, I wouldn't suggest changing your dosage anytime soon.

Hi Felina,

We've not crossed paths, and I'm not aware of your story.

You may have read my posts about my experiences with with going up, down and off and on baclofen. I would really suggest that you experiment with your dosage if you have found satisfaction, and see what else is available, if you are looking to make a change in dosage There is no need to be afraid, the indifference will always be there if it goes wrong, at least in my experience. I also have read about others who have done the same thing, so it's not just an individual experience. Give it a bash, and if it goes south, go back up. You have been handed the world, take advantage of it.

If this scares you, then ignore it. The whole point of this is that we are in uncharted territory, and there are no rules - do what works.

Best of luck.

Terryk is the man at least seven times, imho.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ne1 said:

I'm confused about this, actually. I didn't think that gabapentin and baclofen were used for the same conditions. One is a muscle relaxer for people with spasticity, the other a pain reliever for people with nerve pain, not spasticity. I think it is two completely different applications, though possibly used in combination for those with MS or other muscle-impairing diseases. I could very well be wrong. But aren't the two very different in their initial uses and applications? 

Quote from The Pharmaceutical Journal

"For many years, baclofen has been standard treatment for spasticity, not just in multiple sclerosis (MS), stroke and head injury patients, but after spinal cord injury when muscle spasms can be very disabling and uncomfortable,” explains Omar Malik, consultant neurologist, Charing Cross Hospital, London.  

“However, baclofen can cause some muscle weakness and, in the last decade, it has started to lose out to gabapentin, especially in multiple sclerosis patients who are walking with sticks or frames and need as much strength as possible in their legs,” he adds.

Despite declining demand for baclofen in its traditional indications, growing evidence of effectiveness for treatment of alcoholism is giving the drug a surprising new lease of life.

1 hour ago, Ne1 said:

I don't know if you'll have to be on baclofen forever. I remember asking myself the same question, and gnashing my teeth about it. Now? I'd rather be on it and sober and contented than struggling to find that place again. That's for damn sure. 

Agreed

2 hours ago, Felina said:

If you're happy and sober at 100/day, I wouldn't suggest changing your dosage anytime soon.

Agreed

1 hour ago, terryk said:

-tk

Thanks tk - Too early for anything on AUD cases? - I do get the point you were answering Stuck's post ;)

20 minutes ago, bleep said:

You have been handed the world, take advantage of it.

Like that Bleep

Regards

Bacman

Edited by Baclofenman
  • Like 3

How exciting that The Pharmaceutical Journal has acknowledged bac as an emerging treatment for alcoholism! And interesting that there is an awareness that sales of bac are shooting up. Which must mainly be due to online sales.

I have registered to receive newsletters/alerts etc

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Molly78 said:

How exciting that The Pharmaceutical Journal has acknowledged bac as an emerging treatment for alcoholism! And interesting that there is an awareness that sales of bac are shooting up. Which must mainly be due to online sales.

I have registered to receive newsletters/alerts etc

I have too - It is certainly a step in the right direction

Regards

Bacman

You know, I've just discovered this part of the forum.  I never went to General Discussion the other forum.  

Anyway, I have to report that my wife isn't doing well at all.  The gastric band is making her vomit continuously day and night when she eats. She has become very gaunt looking and I am going to figure out how and when to get her into hospital because this isn't getting any better so the band needs to be dealt with.  I can get cheaper treatment in Belgium where she had it inserted and seen by a top notch surgeon whereas here it would be someone learning on the job, almost.  

This is a real problem if you are considering a gastric band to reduce weight put on from drink.  If it goes wrong you won't be able to eat and if you end up somewhere where there is no one to help, then you could die from this.  If you resort to drinking alcohol because it gets past the band...its a cheat... then you could find yourself in real trouble particularly if alcohol psychosis sets in which is what I am facing.  I had some liquid Bac but I can't find it although right now I don't know how I would get it into her because she is drip feeding herself vodka from somewhere and I can't find the bottle.  She is psychologically totally gone and off with the fairies.

My view on whether you need to take Baclofen for the rest of your life is that if you get off the booze, the you will just have to deal with the underlying anxiety issues both by structuring your life so that you avoid stress and by continuing to take baclofen as and when required.  I don't think it should be necessary once you are sober to take it all the time.

I would look at Baclofen, once you have hit the switch, stopped or moderated drinking, and had a period of recovery, as like any other drug.  If you feel the onset of anxiety/depression, then you should go back on it.  

What I have noted in dealing with a lot of people on these forums, is a view that baclofen is there to sort out drinking. That is not the case.  Ameisen makes it very clear that this treats an underlying anxiety condition which results in drinking to self medicate.  The fact that you may respond to baclofen and cease drinking does not mean the underlying condition just vanishes.   In that sense, baclofen is a cure for the drinking issue because it replaces alcohol, but it may not cure the underlying anxiety, which may remain for the rest of your life.  

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otter said:

What I have noted in dealing with a lot of people on these forums, is a view that baclofen is there to sort out drinking. That is not the case.  Ameisen makes it very clear that this treats an underlying anxiety condition which results in drinking to self medicate.  The fact that you may respond to baclofen and cease drinking does not mean the underlying condition just vanishes.   In that sense, baclofen is a cure for the drinking issue because it replaces alcohol, but it may not cure the underlying anxiety, which may remain for the rest of your life.  

Hope that makes sense.

No No No No No Otter (sorry about all the No's ) - I admit the majority do not understand the science behind Baclofen and how it works - However I do feel that Baclofen takers at least understand that with the withdrawal of anxiety, the need for the reward factor that Alcohol gives them is reduced 

1 hour ago, Otter said:

Anyway, I have to report that my wife isn't doing well at all.  The gastric band is making her vomit continuously day and night when she eats. She has become very gaunt looking and I am going to figure out how and when to get her into hospital because this isn't getting any better so the band needs to be dealt with.  I can get cheaper treatment in Belgium where she had it inserted and seen by a top notch surgeon whereas here it would be someone learning on the job, almost.  

Your predicament is not one I would relish being in, or in charge of - I am aware of some of your concerns with our NHS and that money may not be the "be all and end all" - Are you going to have to look for a "Baclofen friendly" operator here? - Whatever, the situation is appalling - I know it may sound "cheap" but let me know if their is anything I can do from the UK?

1 hour ago, Otter said:

My view on whether you need to take Baclofen for the rest of your life is that if you get off the booze, the you will just have to deal with the underlying anxiety issues both by structuring your life so that you avoid stress and by continuing to take baclofen as and when required.  I don't think it should be necessary once you are sober to take it all the time.

That is what I was hoping - I am sober 123 days now but I still get the odd craving - Having come down from 150mg to my current 100mg a day, I have regained a few aches and pains in the morning back again - I *think* my cravings have not changed during the titration change - I am just looking ahead to try and gauge other peoples stories - I agree with the suck it and see view - Currently I see that I am going to stay where I am and reduce to 75mg in, say July and see how it goes

2 hours ago, Otter said:

Hope that makes sense.

Yes - Perfect. Thank you Otter

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

On 5/4/2016 at 10:32 PM, Baclofenman said:

No No No No No Otter (sorry about all the No's ) - I admit the majority do not understand the science behind Baclofen and how it works - However I do feel that Baclofen takers at least understand that with the withdrawal of anxiety, the need for the reward factor that Alcohol gives them is reduced 

Your predicament is not one I would relish being in, or in charge of - I am aware of some of your concerns with our NHS and that money may not be the "be all and end all" - Are you going to have to look for a "Baclofen friendly" operator here? - Whatever, the situation is appalling - I know it may sound "cheap" but let me know if their is anything I can do from the UK?

That is what I was hoping - I am sober 123 days now but I still get the odd craving - Having come down from 150mg to my current 100mg a day, I have regained a few aches and pains in the morning back again - I *think* my cravings have not changed during the titration change - I am just looking ahead to try and gauge other peoples stories - I agree with the suck it and see view - Currently I see that I am going to stay where I am and reduce to 75mg in, say July and see how it goes

Yes - Perfect. Thank you Otter

Regards

Bacman

I'm not saying that baclofen users don't understand that there is an underlying anxiety problem.  What I am saying is that the gauge of whether one has recovered is whether one has stopped drinking, so that then results in people talking about reducing dosage.  I get a general impression that most people taking baclofen are not looking at the stress in their lives. 

My wife and I, for instance, joined out son's PTA committee thinking it would be enjoyable.  When my wife was drinking in Glasgow she wouldn't show her face at the school.  In her pre-alcoholic days she would not have joined the PTA, neither would I.  So why, now, do we figure this is a good idea. We also joined two other associations, I got on a local "political" committee, tried to set up a business, joined a law firm as an associate, set about redesigning how lawyers do property deals here, researched and wrote a paper, which I have never done before, we moved house four times, got five dogs an a cat, my wife asked a 91 year old incontinent Hellen Keller into our house and we then started building work to extend the house.  

What I am saying is that baclofen has the effect of making you not notice anxiety so it seems like a good idea to take on things you would not normally undertake but when you get stuck into them, you realize that they are still creating anxiety for you.  

Maybe I'm making too much of a deal over it, but it seemed to hit me as something I hadn't really considered before, that I and my wife had developed a kind of indifference to getting involved in things which just heightened our stress levels.  For instance, did Ne set up an international forum before she became a problem drinker, or during her problems with drink?  No, she recovered, and then did this.  Same with Lo0p.  He took on huge responsibilities and challenges after he recovered.

Maybe I am over analyzing it.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Otter - Sorry I missed this earlier

On 08/05/2016 at 10:28 PM, Otter said:

What I am saying is that baclofen has the effect of making you not notice anxiety so it seems like a good idea to take on things you would not normally undertake but when you get stuck into them, you realize that they are still creating anxiety for you.  

For me, yes the new things I have undertaken are causing me new anxieties but these are not an issue as they used to be in the pre Baclofen days - It is hard to explain but the anxiety is not so "intense" as it was - I can just move on

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just found this topic.

Having reached indifference last Sep at 180mg but loosing it by going down to fast I have found it again at 160mg and count myself very lucky so I'm going to stick here for the forceable future.

I have drunk over the recommended levels since I was about 22 (48 now) but it really took off about 10 years ago and for about 3/4 years have been drinking up to 30 units a day and I know I couldn't survive much longer on those stats.I know I've damaged myself and although my LFT's are coming back normal I have a slight yellow hue to my skin but I'm doing the best I can by not drinking now so not going to mess it up by messing around with my dosage for at least a year.

My anxiety seems a bit different to what I hear others report.I suffer from social anxiety and Baclofen hasn't addressed this.Still sometimes blush when talking to people and have sweaty hands ect.I don't know how I've managed to get to this stage in my life to be honest.Ive brought up 2 children (17 and 20) and have had to deal with teachers doctors ect.But I know I've not done the best for them and not stood up for them the best I can.My eldest is nothing like me thank god but I see traits of my anxiety in my youngest and the school said a couple of years ago that he was suffering from anxiety but of course I didn't follow up on this.

Now I'm rambling but I do tell this site things that I don't tell people things in everyday life

• Like 3

@Nicnak

Hi Nicnak

Wow - 30 units a day, is some feat, especially with the kids in toe - Its good your liver tests are making progress in the right direction

I had not (until your post) ever considered if I was suffering social anxiety - I do not think it is something I suffer from - Sure I do not like going out of my "comfort zone" or meeting people and I do get an anxiety out of it but I do not (think) I suffer from the "usual" social anxiety symptoms such as you have highlighted - In fairness, I do not know what leads to my anxiety, I just know it is there as I feel so different with Baclofen - I am certainly anxious if something crops up that I was not expecting, nor am I very keen on surprises but I expect this is connected to my OCD and endless list and target making

Yeah - I think it is difficult seeing possible issues with your children - Maybe when you get all this stuff with your husband out of the way, you may be able to deal with this

I have now decided to keep at my dosage @ 100 mg until my year AF is up and then maybe drop by 20mg for 3 months and on until I get to the stage where I start feeling the anxiety again - As I am unable (I feel) to ever be able to address my anxieties as I am not able to identify them per SE - It looks like Baclofen will be in my pocket for the foreseeable future

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

Well....

I sampled 100mg a day for a few months and my hip aches came back - I also found myself fancying a drink and becoming anxious over stuff that I should not be worrying about - I am now two weeks into increasing my dosage to between 125 and 150 mg a day and I am now feeling far less cloudy headed

So yes - It appears Baclofen is going to be a "significant other" for the forseeable future

I can now speak with authority that, for me certainly, I am not ready to reduce my maintenence dose

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

30 units a day??? Wow! Niknac, you've done well to reduce from that to nothing.

Standard LFTs don't identify damage from alcohol, unless they include GGT levels, but if you're well inyourself & your intake of alcohol is now down to nothing,then your liver will recover - the liver is a resilient organ which can regenerate itself in a short time once its owner stops poisoning it!

• Like 1

30 units was the most and obviously not everyday (that's 3 bottles of wine)

I don't understand why they would order a LFS due to excess alcohol and not test for everything 

I feel well but I know my complexion has changed so I am worried.Ive just sent off a LFS I got online so we shall see what that says 

• Like 2