The End of my Addiction

New here just had a few questions

boydy613

Hi all, 

I am new here and just had a few questions after reading a lot of the blogs. I am curious is Baclofen would work for someone like my self. Here is how I would characterize my drinking. I have been Heavy Binge drinking for about 5 years......which started with a year straight of at least two litres of wine a night then a stint in rehab.......Now I am able to stay sober for about a month at a time but then out of nowhere I go on a god awful binge that usually last about a week sometimes two (complete blackout to blackout to blackout)but is extremely heavy and usually only gets stopped by loved ones intervening and locking me in the house and monitoring me until I sober up.....then I am good for a month sometimes two because I dont want to drink anymore. but then it happens again its a viscious cycle,. It is ruining my work relationship and my personal relationships. I have been going to AA for about 3 yrs but Im not sure it is helping :( 

The question I have is (Might be a stupid one) will Baclofen work for me to stop my cravings if I start it lets say after two weeks sober?  Any advice would help I am completely new to this. Thanks, 

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum boydy! I wouldn’t even wait until you were two weeks sober to start baclofen. You can start anytime. And yes, baclofen will work to reduce, and eventually eliminate, your cravings when you get up to the right dose and have been on it long enough. It’s not an immediate fix, though, you have to titrate up to the right dose, which is unique to each person. I would start by reading the Prescribing Guide for Baclofen http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/topic/121-prescribing-guide/

This will give you an idea of how you’re supposed to titrate up. Are you planning on seeing a doctor to get a prescription? If so, there’s a wealth of research on Baclofen on this site that you can show to a doctor to help sway them towards prescribing. If you’re planning on ordering online, then this guide will give you a good starting point for how to titrate up. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. There’s no such thing as a stupid one. We were all baclofen newbies at one point.

• Like 3

Hi boydy.

I would say that starting bac while you're not actually drinking is a great place to start from. You get fewer side effects because alcohol potentiates the SE. If you are already able to manage a month without drinking, that gives you lots of time to titrate up before temptation strikes again.

Good luck, & read the prescribing guide as LIS says.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, boydy613 said:

The question I have is (Might be a stupid one) will Baclofen work for me to stop my cravings if I start it lets say after two weeks sober?  Any advice would help I am completely new to this. Thanks, 

20 hours ago, Lostinspace said:

There’s no such thing as a stupid one. We were all baclofen newbies at one point.

Very wise word indeed 

I have anxiety and I put this as the main cause for my drinking - (stress and reward) - I did not know this at the time, I thought everyone worried about the same stuff I did - Baclofen has softened my anxiety so I am able to not need to drink alcohol to counteract it 

I admit I do not understand the "Science" bit but it works for me - Definately

My titration schedule was 10mg 3 times a day for 5 days, then increasing 30mg a day every 5 days - Anon - I never hit a "switch" as such (I dont really know what it is supposed to feel like) but I did after a couple of weeks stop alcohol quite easily (maybe this was the "switch"?) - Settled at 150mg a day and came down to 100mg a day where I am today - 5 months later - I also tried to spread my dose throughout the day evenly - This is disputed by some so you will need to make your own decision on that one

Side effects can be alarming - Unlike some I had nothing too bad - All gone now

Obviously, I am not a Doctor and this is my titration - Everyone is different and needs different doses

I would also add that keep a note of how much and when you take a dose - I find this a very useful record

Good Luck - Why not write a story in the Tell us your story section - It would be great to have our first "live" story

23 hours ago, boydy613 said:

Now I am able to stay sober for about a month at a time

I do wonder why, having done the hard work you relapse so badly?

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lostinspace said:

Welcome to the forum boydy! I wouldn’t even wait until you were two weeks sober to start baclofen. You can start anytime. And yes, baclofen will work to reduce, and eventually eliminate, your cravings when you get up to the right dose and have been on it long enough. It’s not an immediate fix, though, you have to titrate up to the right dose, which is unique to each person. I would start by reading the Prescribing Guide for Baclofen http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/topic/121-prescribing-guide/

This will give you an idea of how you’re supposed to titrate up. Are you planning on seeing a doctor to get a prescription? If so, there’s a wealth of research on Baclofen on this site that you can show to a doctor to help sway them towards prescribing. If you’re planning on ordering online, then this guide will give you a good starting point for how to titrate up. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need. There’s no such thing as a stupid one. We were all baclofen newbies at one point.

Thanks so much for the information. I was planning on trying to get a prescription from a doctor as I feel that might be the safest way for me to make sure that I am checking in with a professional. Thanks for the info I am planning on reading alot of the info on here :)

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the information. I was planning on trying to get a prescription from a doctor as I feel that might be the safest way for me to make sure that I am checking in with a professional. Thanks for the info I am planning on reading alot of the info on here :)

2 hours ago, Molly78 said:

Hi boydy.

I would say that starting bac while you're not actually drinking is a great place to start from. You get fewer side effects because alcohol potentiates the SE. If you are already able to manage a month without drinking, that gives you lots of time to titrate up before temptation strikes again.

Good luck, & read the prescribing guide as LIS says.

Thanks for the advice :)

God wish I could help ya.  Someone above my pay grade should be around soon enough.  But from your story and what I know of it doesn't seem to be a good fit.  Don't thin k it really fits the binge drinking profile from what I gather.  But I've been wrong mor than I've been right in my life sooooo.... take that with a grain of salt...  

• Like 2

On 4/27/2016 at 5:04 PM, boydy613 said:

Hey, Boyd and welcome to the forum!

Not a stupid question at all. There is no question that baclofen helps with people who binge, as opposed to drinking daily. I know several! In fact, as Molly pointed out, it may be really beneficial if you're abstinent when you start and you may find that it curbs your cravings and the urge to drink enough that you don't binge again. Generally you start out with a low dose and titrate up slowly. 

It may be hard to find a doctor, but we'll do our best to help you with that when you make a decision about it. And if you can't, you can get it online easily. Take it as recommended in the doctor's prescribing guide and check in here...

Naltrexone is a different kind of medication altogether. There are two ways to take it. One is the way it is traditionally prescribed, which is to take it daily to help with cravings and the urge to drink. It also works in your brain to lessen the "reward" of drinking, so when you do drink, you don't feel it as much. (And presumably don't drink as much, though I have read of people drinking more so they can actually get drunk.) Honestly, I'm not sure if there's research about it helping with people who binge vs. daily drinkers. But there might be! I don't know as much about naltrexone as I should. I'm working on it.

The second way to take it is called The Sinclair Method (TSM). With TSM, you only take the pill when you are planning on drinking. You take it one hour beforehand. The idea is that the reward is lessened and that eventually "extinction" occurs and you won't want to drink anymore. This can take, by all accounts, up to many months. But so can seeing any results from baclofen. Neither is an immediate fix. There aren't any immediate fixes that I'm aware of, unfortunately. If there were, we'd all be sober and happy about it. Right? ;)

It may not be that easy to find a doctor to prescribe naltrexone, either, though it is approved for the use of alcohol use disorders. In both cases, your best bet is an addiction psychiatrist. 

It would help to know where you're from, in general, too. (You don't have to be too specific. A state or region, if you're in the UK, is specific enough...) 

No matter what, hang in there and don't give up! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ne1 said:

Hey, Boyd and welcome to the forum!

Not a stupid question at all. There is no question that baclofen helps with people who binge, as opposed to drinking daily. I know several! In fact, as Molly pointed out, it may be really beneficial if you're abstinent when you start and you may find that it curbs your cravings and the urge to drink enough that you don't binge again. Generally you start out with a low dose and titrate up slowly. 

It may be hard to find a doctor, but we'll do our best to help you with that when you make a decision about it. And if you can't, you can get it online easily. Take it as recommended in the doctor's prescribing guide and check in here...

Naltrexone is a different kind of medication altogether. There are two ways to take it. One is the way it is traditionally prescribed, which is to take it daily to help with cravings and the urge to drink. It also works in your brain to lessen the "reward" of drinking, so when you do drink, you don't feel it as much. (And presumably don't drink as much, though I have read of people drinking more so they can actually get drunk.) Honestly, I'm not sure if there's research about it helping with people who binge vs. daily drinkers. But there might be! I don't know as much about naltrexone as I should. I'm working on it.

The second way to take it is called The Sinclair Method (TSM). With TSM, you only take the pill when you are planning on drinking. You take it one hour beforehand. The idea is that the reward is lessened and that eventually "extinction" occurs and you won't want to drink anymore. This can take, by all accounts, up to many months. But so can seeing any results from baclofen. Neither is an immediate fix. There aren't any immediate fixes that I'm aware of, unfortunately. If there were, we'd all be sober and happy about it. Right? ;)

It may not be that easy to find a doctor to prescribe naltrexone, either, though it is approved for the use of alcohol use disorders. In both cases, your best bet is an addiction psychiatrist. 

It would help to know where you're from, in general, too. (You don't have to be too specific. A state or region, if you're in the UK, is specific enough...) 

No matter what, hang in there and don't give up! 

Thanks for the sound advice....It seems like Baclofen might be a better option for me and I would really like to havbe the supervision of a substance abuse psychiatrist also. I an located in Southern California if that helps. Ya it seems that Naltrexone might not work for me . Any info on doctors in this region would be much appreciated :)

Dude, try baclofen. It works. I'm on my phone, I hate typing on this tiny thing, will hopefully be back later and give a more helpful response, but the point remains... 

Go now to a doctor, or order online. This will change your life for the better. 

Best of luck. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've used Naltrexone after going through years of trying everything else, and it worked really well for me.

If you are going to drink anyway I don't see any harm in using Nal so long as it's used each and every time. It might just help.