The End of my Addiction

Nicotine addiction

SKendall

Hello everyone and Happy May day.

I haven't given this info to another living person.  A spot has been found on my lung and it's a bad spot.  If it weren't for all the x-rays and mri's done regarding my accident who knows if it would have been found.

The problem is I enjoy smoking and after many attempts lately, I have failed.  Can anyone suggest any effective ways that have been successful.  I've been stressed lately and cigs seem to be my salvation.

I am trying my own advice on timelines, etc. but living alone makes it very easy to cheat.  Lung cancer is a bad way to go and I still want to move to be with g/daughter.

Nicotine patches, vapes, nicotine gum?  Anyone have success with these?  I cannot take Chantix b/c of side effects and I still have a long way to go for a natural death.  I am thinking about hypnosis when my budget will allow it.

• Like 1

Hi SK,

So sorry about the X-ray results. I hope that the spot turns out to be a false alarm. What are the doctors planning for the next step?

I quit smoking successfully almost 3 years ago via the vape route. I also live alone. Basically, I instituted a "rule" in which I could only smoke cigarettes after 9 p.m. Before then I had to use the vape pen. I did that successfully for a couple of weeks, with a hard and fast upcoming quit date.

I didn't quit on the date in question and I was very angry with myself. The next evening after work, I took my remaining cigarettes and poured water all over them. I stuck with the vape pen that night, and that was all it took. And after that it was seriously effortless. And I've found myself using the pen less and less over the years, to the point where I only puff about two cigarettes' worth in the evening.

I know that it's not an ideal solution, but I also know many people who have been able to quit using vaporizers. And quitting cigarettes is a huge step in the right direction. 

Best of luck in getting there, whatever route you take. 

• Like 2

Another vote for  the vape!

Never been a smoker myself, but my son (38) having been a lifelong smoker - I blame his father! - quit easily after about a month of vaping. DIL is now trying it, she's a  lot more committed to real ciggies so it will be interesting to see how she gets on.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear it SKendall, that blows.

I'm in the same boat quit wise. Tried bloody everything. I can take Champix, but as soon as I stop taking I start smoking again. done it about 6 time, for about 6 weeks each. The only solution seems to be to live on Champix, but I've tried that and it doesn't work either. In the end I stop taking it so that cigarettes will taste nice again. Vape hasn't worked, perhaps I should give that another shot.

Best of luck, this one's a bitch.

• Like 2

I've tried the patches and they seem to work OK for a couple days. I hate the gum. The most success I've ever had in 20 years (a little over 2 weeks) was cold turkey.

I did cut back a lot for the past 2 years, since I stopped smoking inside. Now that my gf moved out, though, didn't take long for an ashtray to appear on my desk. One thing I tried for a while - and got down to about ½ pack a day - was keeping a journal. Every single time I had a cigarette, I wrote it down in a notebook with the date and time, then added them up at the end of the day and for the week, etc. Seriously, it worked pretty well. Here's a quit method based on that:

http://blog.oup.com/2014/07/psychology-self-monitor-abstract-particular/

And I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through, SK. Thinking of you, and hoping it is indeed a false alarm.

• Like 2