The End of my Addiction

Hi! I have to stop drinking!

Jeanne

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/profile/78-jeanne/

Hi! I have to stop drinking! I used this site years ago and it really worked for me! I can't stop for more than a day at a time. I've become really depressed. Nothing makes me happy. So I drink, which makes me miserable. I so badly wanna be sober and happy again. I just found my baclofen and took 2 )10 milligrams each. Any suggestions for me? This has got to be my last DAY 1! About 5 yrs ago I found this site and it really worked for me. I'm praying it does again. I'd love to chat with you guys and hear your suggestions! Thanks in advance!!! 

• Like 1

Hello @Jeanne and welcome to the forum! You are definitely on the right track. :)I have a couple of questions for you. You said you just found your baclofen. Do you have access to a prescribing physician or a plan to order a steady supply online so you can go up in dosage at a steady rate?  Anyway, 20 mgs/day is a sane place to start. Make sure you space out your doses (say, take 10 mgs in the a.m. and another 10 in the afternoon) and gradually work your way up. Some people go upwards 10 mgs every 4 days or so (so you'd be at 30 mgs/day on Friday). Others go up around 20 mgs once a week. Someone will chime in here soon with the prescribing guide. Whatever you do, make sure you have a schedule in mind and a steady supply of baclofen. You don't want to be bouncing all over the place with your dosages, or going upwards too fast. Slow and steady wins the race! If you find the side effects get too intense, you might want to slow down your titration or stay at the same dosage until the side effects go away. Good luck and keep posting about your journey. We're always here if you have questions. :hug:

• Like 2

Hi, Jeanne. Welcome (back) to the forum. This one is new, so I'm guessing you were on a different, but similar forum. Anyway...

I agree with what Felina wrote!

Also, how much are you drinking? Are you able to stay abstinent from the get-go or are you tapering down? 

Hope you'll check back in with us! 

Welcome to the forum, Jeanne! If you want more specific guidelines for titrating up on baclofen, have a look at the physician’s prescribing guide for baclofen that Felina was referring to: http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/topic/121-prescribing-guide/ This guide will give you a good place to start, but definitely take Felina’s advice about taking it slow and steady. Many people who start on baclofen are so (understandably) anxious to get up to their switch dose that they titrate up way too fast, suffer debilitating side effects, and end up quitting altogether, thinking that baclofen is just too harsh a treatment. Success with baclofen is an amazing thing, but it doesn’t happen overnight (for most of us - there are a lucky few who find indifference within days or a couple weeks, but they seem to be the exception, rather than the rule). So go up as quickly as you can tolerate, but if the side effects become too much, stay put at that dose for a good long while, or even drop back to a lower dose for a while, until the side effects abate. Anyway, good luck to you and keep posting to let us know how you’re doing with it. And feel free to ask as many questions as you need :)