The End of my Addiction

Anxiety after drinking

Jetsman32

Hi All, 

I just found this forum today and have read some great stuff.

I have always been a drinker- most of it of the binging variety.

In the past I used to drink 2-4 nights per week fairly heavily. However in the last (6) months I've cut back to just two nights per week (Friday and Saturday). On these nights I typically drink between 8-10 light beers. 

Just as any FYI, I have tried AA in the past and it just wasn't for me. I didn't feel like I belonged. I've never been arrested or had any trouble from drinking. I also felt like the people at AA wanted me to commit to an insane meeting schedule that just wouldn't work for me. Not to bash AA (I think it works for some) I also noticed that nobody there was every a real friend- as soon as I said I was done with the program they didn't want anything to do with me.

So, my real problem now is that on the nights I do drink (Friday and Saturday) I always wake up the next morning with uncontrollable anxiety and sweats. I literally feel like I'm having a panic attack. This usually lasts the entire next day. Not sure why this is happening as it's never happened in the past. I'm 37 years old BTW. Typically when this happens I spend the entire next day taking Benzo's (Klonopin) just to make it through the day.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening or how I should handle it? I can handle honest feedback so please speak freely. Thanks!

• Like 3

Welcome.  Many of us here didn't gel with AA, and maybe some did?  We are all at various stages of recovery and willing to support.

That anxiety just sucks, and is a side effect of alcohol consumption.  Our bodies change as far as tolerance is concerned as we get older.  Are you thinking of taking baclofen?  I never took it.

Hang in and more people will come with greater assistance and experience with it.

• Like 1

I've never taken Baclofen- do you need a prescription for it? I will mention that also suffer from GAD and prescribed Klonopin (3)mg's day. However, I rarely use it- I try to only take it when the anxiety is too much to handle. The only time I really take my Klonopin is the day after drinking because the anxiety is so bad. I'm scared of alcohol now- even if I only have 3-4 beers I still get the same anxiety afterwards. My body is definitely telling me something.......

• Like 1

Hi

Re: Baclofen

I am not sure of the US prescription attitude (some can get a limited amount from a pdoc)

Certainly, here in the UK, GP's generally have never heard of Baclofen, especially with regard to the treatment of alcoholism - They do not understand/get/are taught about the science

In my experience Baclofen prevents the anxiety that causes me to seek the reward AL brings - I would expect that you have underlying anxiety which is exasperated with the remorse and guilt the "morning after" feeling brings

Baclofen can be purchased on line, generally sent from India - Again I am unsure (or not sure enough to print) as to the attitude of the US authorities to purchase but certainly in the UK, one can purchase and possess but may be liable to import duty

Study and religiously follow the prescription guide

Rushing into it is a bad idea, as is rushing out of it (titration)

I am 135 days into my Baclofen journey 

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jetsman32 said:

Hi All, 

I just found this forum today and have read some great stuff.

I have always been a drinker- most of it of the binging variety.

In the past I used to drink 2-4 nights per week fairly heavily. However in the last (6) months I've cut back to just two nights per week (Friday and Saturday). On these nights I typically drink between 8-10 light beers. 

Just as any FYI, I have tried AA in the past and it just wasn't for me. I didn't feel like I belonged. I've never been arrested or had any trouble from drinking. I also felt like the people at AA wanted me to commit to an insane meeting schedule that just wouldn't work for me. Not to bash AA (I think it works for some) I also noticed that nobody there was every a real friend- as soon as I said I was done with the program they didn't want anything to do with me.

So, my real problem now is that on the nights I do drink (Friday and Saturday) I always wake up the next morning with uncontrollable anxiety and sweats. I literally feel like I'm having a panic attack. This usually lasts the entire next day. Not sure why this is happening as it's never happened in the past. I'm 37 years old BTW. Typically when this happens I spend the entire next day taking Benzo's (Klonopin) just to make it through the day.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening or how I should handle it? I can handle honest feedback so please speak freely. Thanks!

The anxiety is almost definitely a side effect of alcohol consumption and withdrawl. Benzos are also not a good idea and it sounds as if you could be heading towards a nasty cycle of booze followed by Klonopin. Reducing or eliminating alcohol although very difficult at first, is the way to break it.

Like you AA didn't work for me, neither did a lot of other things. In the end I found my answer and my life have been transformed. Don't know if it's relevant, but I was a similar age to you when I finally got to grips with my alcoholism, what I didn't bargain for was that the underlying causes then brought back another addictive behaviour with something totally different!

• Like 2

Welcome, Jetsman.

I think bac could help you.  The prescribing guide tells you how to take it consistently, building up the dose gradually, so that you stop wanting to drink at all - for many of us the stimulus to drink in the first place is anxiety. especially social anxiety. I'm not sure why you choose to drink heavily on Fri & Sat (though I have to say that your intake is quite moderate compared to some of us!) - are these evenings some sort of social occasions for you?

I think bac would probably be really helpful the day after drinking, rather than benzos, but I have not read of people using it like this - most of us take it all the time. But then most of us drink/drank a lot more heavily than you!

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your comments. What exactly does Baclofen do? Is it an anxiety medication? I don't know why I drink on Friday and Saturday nights. Honestly it's just something I've always done to relax and unwind. It's weird, I could go to a dinner and have 1 or 2 and stop but on the weekends I don't have a shut-off valve. I don't know why that is. Although I really like drinking the next days are just awful now. I will look into River Pharmacy to see what they have and do some research on Baclofen. The weird thing is I don't understand why I would have "alcohol withdrawal" after only drinking one night (Friday). Isn't that something that normally happens after you've been drinking for a few days? Again- I appreciate all the comments. Just really want to break this cycle. Also- I don't want to give up drinking completely. I still want to be able to go to parties occasionally or have a few drinks at work occasions. Will Baclofen make me not want to continue to drink or cause a negative side effect if I do drink?

I'd also like to add that I've tried to stop drinking using other methods such as Kava- it just didn't do it for me. I also use Phenibut 2X per week usually around 3g per day (but never on days I drink).

if your already taking phenibut and aren't necessarily a problem drinker (I mean I wish I had been in your shoes)  Just don't do it.  or deal with it.  I know you think you have a problem but it's nothing compared to drinking 20+ drinks a day, waking up and having to drink just to move on.  I am by no means minimizing your struggle but it seems to me you are well within your capabilities to just not do it anymore.  I hope you figure it out one way or another.  good luck my friend

• Like 1

You bring up a great point- I realize that I don't have a problem on the scale of many of the people on here- I definitely don't mean any disrespect. In the past I was a much more heavy drinker but I've found that being on a constant exercise program has helped tremendously.  I just want to get myself in a place where I don't need to rely on alcohol to have a good time or enjoy myself. I have found that Phenibut (when not abused) is absolutely amazing. I take a fairly high dose (3g) a day roughly 2-3 times per week and it gives me a great overall buzz and totally wipes out social anxiety. I've also read all of the warnings against drinking on phenibut so I can use that to not pick up a drink due to fear of respiratory failure.

If I'm being honest with myself I just like to get relaxed and alcohol has always been my drug of choice. I consider myself a problem drinker- not an alcoholic. It feels like I've tried to find a replacement for alcohol numerous times (kava, kratom, benzo's) but have had no luck. 

I truly appreciate everyone's comments!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jetsman32 said:

Thank you everyone for your comments. What exactly does Baclofen do? Is it an anxiety medication? I don't know why I drink on Friday and Saturday nights. Honestly it's just something I've always done to relax and unwind. It's weird, I could go to a dinner and have 1 or 2 and stop but on the weekends I don't have a shut-off valve. I don't know why that is. Although I really like drinking the next days are just awful now. I will look into River Pharmacy to see what they have and do some research on Baclofen. The weird thing is I don't understand why I would have "alcohol withdrawal" after only drinking one night (Friday). Isn't that something that normally happens after you've been drinking for a few days? Again- I appreciate all the comments. Just really want to break this cycle. Also- I don't want to give up drinking completely. I still want to be able to go to parties occasionally or have a few drinks at work occasions. Will Baclofen make me not want to continue to drink or cause a negative side effect if I do drink?

The thing that barks out to me from this post is Habit

You only drink twice a week 'seriously' - This can infact be worse than a few (more than you should) daily and a blow out on two days if the reports are to be take literally

In my experience Baclofen is not a morning after tablet - It is to be taken regularly as a course of indefinite length

18 hours ago, Jetsman32 said:

What exactly does Baclofen do? Is it an anxiety medication?

It is a little more scientific than that - But, yes the end shot for me certainly and others will testify is that our anxiety levels are reduced to such a state that AL is not the first thought, morning noon and night

Why not Google "gaba b receptor baclofen" and do a bit of research

So habit - Need to break the habit mate, why not try and do something else on Friday and Saturday? - Tell yourself its for one week only - See how you feel on the Sunday, was it worthwhile? Was it nice waking up on Sunday with no remorse/regrets and sober - Then you will know

Good luck - Why not note your progress in the My Story area

Regards

Bacman

Edited by Baclofenman
  • Like 2

Great point- I have a habit and I need to break it. Going to give it a go this weekend. I will also take your advice and do some searches on Gaba B and Baclofen to get a better understanding. Thank you!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jetsman32 said:

Great point- I have a habit and I need to break it. Going to give it a go this weekend. I will also take your advice and do some searches on Gaba B and Baclofen to get a better understanding. Thank you!

Whilst I was happy going by what I had read from the great @terryk - I also think to truly understand IN YOUR OWN MIND what this stuff is, how and WHY it works along with an understanding or at least having a vague clue as to the science is very real and important - (I dont think that makes a lot of sense but I dont know how else to say it)

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

One major benefit I found from taking baclofen was that my chronic anxiety seemed to melt away once I got up to a certain dosage - around 50-60 mgs/day I think. I think it's wonderful that you're going to try abstinence over the weekend. If you still find that you struggle with anxiety-related cravings, adding baclofen (even at lower doses, 60-80/day) might be hugely beneficial. As an added bonus, it shouldn't be as difficult finding a doctor to prescribe it at that dosage. Best of luck to you.

Edited by Felina
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Felina said:

One major benefit I found from taking baclofen was that my chronic anxiety seemed to melt away once I got up to a certain dosage

Adding to this:

I did not realise I was anxious - No really, I thought everyone had the same thought process as me - It is only "on refection" that I can see that some of the stuff I stressed about were, plain stupid and that the stuff I cannot do anything about, well it is just that - I cannot do anything about it - I do not have a "do not give a shit attitude" - no to the contrary, I do give a shit but I can prioritise and logically deal with these issues as they present themselves

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

Haha- I think my problem is that I give a shit to much. I'm constantly stressed over work and family and when I drink is the only time I really feel like I "escape". I've been doing some reading on Baclofen today- I think it could be helpful. Not going to see my doctor about it- going to try the online pharmacy recommended above first. My only real hesitation is making sure that it doesn't have a bad reaction with the other stuff I take (Klonopin + phenibut). Also wanted to mention that everyone here has been super helpful and I'm glad I found this site.

• Like 1

before you jump into baclofen you need to realize that once you start your on a life long journey.  There is a major withdrawal syndrome associated with it.  You need to educate yourself.  If I could just drink 8 light beers a night 2 x's a week and not take a bunch of pils every day I would.  Just one man'r humble opinion.... 

• Like 1

On May 18, 2016 at 2:37 PM, time2quit said:

before you jump into baclofen you need to realize that once you start your on a life long journey.  There is a major withdrawal syndrome associated with it.  

This is totally a withdrawal from bac if one stops abruptly. Moving down to zero slowly isn't dangerous. Though, to be fair, I felt really and truly awful for a long while after I stopped baclofen and I did move slowly. There was a lot of other stuff going on in my life at the time, and I was white-knuckling abstinence on top of everything else.

T2Q is absolutely right - education is vital.

I wrote that bit days ago. Now I'm drunk, and I say go for it. You jumped both feet-first into alcoholism. Why not add some pills to the mix? Just for sweet christ's sake take it slow - 10mg/week at the most when you change doses.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2016 at 10:37 PM, time2quit said:

before you jump into baclofen you need to realize that once you start your on a life long journey.  There is a major withdrawal syndrome associated with it.  You need to educate yourself.  If I could just drink 8 light beers a night 2 x's a week and not take a bunch of pils every day I would.  Just one man'r humble opinion.... 

Jetsman might only be drinking small amounts compared to some of us on this forum, but he ticks all the boxes for potential alcoholism - "constantly stressed".  "when I drink is the only time I escape". He is describing the danger signals, & knows he needs to act now. Plus he is using other drugs to alter his mood, & reduce his stress levels.

Jetsman - go for it. Read up on bac & start now.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Hi Jet, I'm an occasional user of phenibut but at the 300 mg a dose and not daily.  In using the powdered form I took too much and was hospitalized for 4 days where I slept.

I now take the capsules.  If you were to measure your dose, how much, with a teaspoon, how would it measure?  BTW it was not traceable through a blood test.

• Like 1

not trying to cause a fight, but baclofen isn't for all cases.  Just want to make sure he educates himself and does what's right for him.  I know baclofen has been a savior for some but it's no panacea or magic bullet for everyone.  Anyway I've said my piece and I hope he reads it and finds some relief someway somehow.  Maybe naltrexone would be better given his circumstances? Who knows, but with the whole baclofen process of getting to a therapeutic dose that takes a long time by most accounts I'm not sure I would recommend it for someone who drinks 16 light beers a week.  But again it's his body and he needs to educate himself before he jumps into anything.....

• Like 1

On May 22, 2016 at 9:22 AM, Molly78 said:

Jetsman might only be drinking small amounts compared to some of us on this forum, but he ticks all the boxes for potential alcoholism - "constantly stressed".  "when I drink is the only time I escape". He is describing the danger signals, & knows he needs to act now. Plus he is using other drugs to alter his mood, & reduce his stress levels.

Jetsman - go for it. Read up on bac & start now.

Good luck!

Nobody here judges. I hope. 

It's like the time I went to AA, and some dude asked if I needed a ride home. I said "I have 2 DUIs." He laughed at me and said "I have 5!"

What, was I not good enough? Was I not alcoholic enough? That's the kind of shit that turns people off. Would I love to drink 8 beers every couple of nights? Yes, yes I would. Does that mean that I don't think Jets has a problem that he would like to deal with? No. 

No, man, come into the fold. We are here for you, and we will continue to be here for you. I promise. You're with family now, and we hope you come back.

• Like 1

Hi- wanted to give you all an update. The weekend DID NOT go as expected. My plan was not to drink at all as I had a 5k planned for Saturday morning. However, on Thursday I injured my lower back and had to pull out of the race. I was totally depressed- I've been working really hard towards a personal best and now I'm sidelined for at least 3 weeks.

Anyway, without a race there was no reason not to drink Friday. So I did. I bought a 750ML bottle of Rum and drank 3/4 of it. Got pretty drunk. I woke up the next morning at 4am with minor anxiety but took 3 1mg Klonopin and 3g or phenibut. I went back to sleep. When I work up I felt amazing and Saturday turned out good.

Saturday night I saw that I still had 1/4 of the Rum and realized it wasn't enough so I bough 3 24's of bud Ice. I ended up drinking everything and then even dipped into a bottle of champagne we had at the house- I was wasted. I woke up that morning around 3am (went to be around 12) and took 3 klonopin and 2 Passion Flower pills. It didn't work. Over the course of Sunday I ended up taking 8mg of Klonopin and 8 passion flower pills. In the end- that did the trick.

The real problem here is that nothing in my mind would stop me from drinking this weekend- I was going to do it and I was going to have enough to get lit. It's getting strange- I don't take my Klonopin regularly but only use it mostly for after drinking anxiety. I guess it's a nice balance but also makes me realize I have a major problem.

I feel broken. Running/Cardio was my only real escape from anxiety and now I'm totally sidelined. To challenge myself I am doing a 48 hour water fast. I typically fast two days a week any way for 24 hours and just want to challenge myself.

Anyway, not sure what I'm going to do now but wanted to share with someone/anyone that will listen. I know I don't have a problem like some people but I have a compulsion on the weekends that is maddening. Thank you all for listening.

• Like 4

By the way- I didn't take Phenibut on Sunday as I know it is highly addictive- I only try to use it twice a week. Funny thing is I use it to save up my Klonopin for after drinking.

No I'm totally kidding. I read your post with a heavy heart, and I feel for you. Keep posting today, please. Or PM me. I'm here, man. Drunk, but here.

• Like 1

I usually buy Rum the first night and I feel guilty about buying more the 2nd night. I justify it by getting those big beers that are 2 for $3. Normally I but a full liter- this week I "thought" I'd take it slow so only bough the 750ML. So much for that.......

• Like 1

I did that for a year, while the girl was watching me. Got a pint of Jameson and two tall beers. I thought I was keeping everything under control. I'd finish all that and go through all the cuborards looking for more.

• Like 1

Hi, Jetsman and a belated welcome to the forum. I think you've had a lot of sound suggestions from people already, but I wanted to follow up on a couple of things.

On 5/18/2016 at 2:54 PM, Jetsman32 said:

Haha- I think my problem is that I give a shit to much. I'm constantly stressed over work and family and when I drink is the only time I really feel like I "escape". 

Amen to that thought! Like bacman mentioned, and others will concur, I had no idea I had "anxiety" issues until I was taking enough baclofen that they went away. Like him, I thought everyone stressed about everything the way I did. I know better now. 

First of all, people have been using phenibut to get off of alcohol for a long time. There have been plenty of studies about it that show that phenibut works to control craving for alcohol and help keep people sober. Problem is, those same studies show that phenibut is profoundly addictive and can wreak all kinds of havoc in someone's life, just as alcohol abuse can and does. My understanding is that the longer you use phenibut, regardless of the frequency, the more you will need in order to get the same feeling of relaxation. 

One thing to keep in mind is that even though you're only drinking on Friday and Saturday, using phenibut two days during the week is, in my humble opinion, the same as drinking. Albeit the hangovers aren't as prevalent, especially if you're not using it regularly. Still, chances are pretty good that after a time you'll have to increase the amount you take to get the same feeling, and that the day-after withdrawals will also become more debilitating. 

Baclofen and phenibut are actually chemically very closely related, with some big differences. Baclofen is not addictive, at all, but it doesn't have the same immediate "feel good" impact that phenibut has. It takes longer to get to the point where the underlying anxiety is addressed, and there is a cessation in the compulsion to stop drinking. As others have pointed out, it's a treatment, a medication that takes time and commitment, not a one-stop-pill for avoiding drinking on just particular nights. It also, in my personal experience, doesn't work with phenibut. You don't want to use both together. Some other people have used baclofen to get off of phenibut when they've found that their phenibut habit becomes addiction. 

Klonipin, and other benzos, are like phenibut in a way, though they are not chemically similar and work on different receptors. Increased tolerance leads to increased use which can lead to addiction and/or profound withdrawal. (I forgot to mention that the accounts I've read from people who are trying to get off of phenibut scared me enough that I would avoid it at all costs. Don't get me wrong, I've tried it. Ha! What haven't I tried? But holy sh*t, the withdrawal sounds frightening and can't really be treated with medications other than heavy benzos, lithium, baclofen or a very slow and controlled tapering of phenibut. I'm an alcoholic, and it's my only drug of choice, but if phenibut hits all the same buttons, I can only imagine that I would find myself abusing it and then reeling from the withdrawal. Just like booze.) That said, I use a benzo to deal with increased situational anxiety and I totally get why you would need it to help with morning-after-withdrawal.

Which brings me to my final point. It is fact that alcohol increases anxiety and that age (is my guess) plays a role in the increase in side effects from drinking. God knows, what I could drink when I was 25 and still function the next day is a lot different than what I can drink at 46! Not to mention the fact that I remember a time when I could stay up half the night partying and still get up for work the next day? Now? Hell, I can't stay up half the night for any reason. lol. 

On 5/22/2016 at 0:22 PM, Molly78 said:

I agree. And I strongly disagree that you need to qualify, somehow, in order to take seriously the need to treat an alcohol use disorder, (AUD) regardless of what you call it. That said, there are different classifications for alcohol use disorders, and some of us need more and longer term treatment than others in order to treat the disease. But if you find that you're using something that debilitates your ability to function and feel content, then no one else has the right to determine if you are "sick enough" to get help. That's just bull shit. You may not need or want to try baclofen, or whatever, but that doesn't mean that you don't need something. Sounds to me like you think you do, and that pretty much sums it up...

17 hours ago, StuckinLA said:

Nobody here judges. I hope. 

It's like the time I went to AA, and some dude asked if I needed a ride home. I said "I have 2 DUIs." He laughed at me and said "I have 5!"

What, was I not good enough? Was I not alcoholic enough? That's the kind of shit that turns people off. Would I love to drink 8 beers every couple of nights? Yes, yes I would. Does that mean that I don't think Jets has a problem that he would like to deal with? No. 

No, man, come into the fold. We are here for you, and we will continue to be here for you. I promise. You're with family now, and we hope you come back.

No judging. And also, I spent many years in and out of the rooms of AA, and in treatment, when people didn't think I was alcoholic enough simply because I don't look the part and don't have the necessary requirements to fit in. (No DUIs, always worked, etc...) But let me tell you, I can look at my life and see that everything I've ever done (or not done) has been affected by the fact that I have alcoholism. And I have a lot of resentment about the people who thought I didn't qualify, and therefore didn't offer me the treatment I needed long before my life spun out of control. How much pain could I have avoided if we knew then what we know now? And how was it better that I waited until I "qualified" before I went to "extreme lengths" to treat my alcoholism? 

So look, I'm glad that your drinking is relatively under control and that it isn't profoundly affecting your life in ways that necessarily "qualify" you as "one of us". But, as you mentioned in the next post I've quoted, if you're using phenibut and drinking enough booze to need both phenibut and lots of benzos to deal with hangovers, you qualify. And just the fact that you came looking for help/solutions/suggestions...Please don't misunderstand, I'm not passing judgment on you or on the people who wished they were still at the point where they only drank on the weekends or only drank light beer. I'm just saying it's up to you to judge what will work best for you. And at the end of this post, I'm gonna give you some suggestions for that. 

17 hours ago, Jetsman32 said:

Hi- wanted to give you all an update. The weekend DID NOT go as expected. ...

The real problem here is that nothing in my mind would stop me from drinking this weekend- I was going to do it and I was going to have enough to get lit. It's getting strange- I don't take my Klonopin regularly but only use it mostly for after drinking anxiety. I guess it's a nice balance but also makes me realize I have a major problem.

I feel broken. Running/Cardio was my only real escape from anxiety and now I'm totally sidelined. To challenge myself I am doing a 48 hour water fast. I typically fast two days a week any way for 24 hours and just want to challenge myself.

Anyway, not sure what I'm going to do now but wanted to share with someone/anyone that will listen. I know I don't have a problem like some people but I have a compulsion on the weekends that is maddening. Thank you all for listening.

Thanks for sharing the experience. I've found it really helpful to do just that with people who get it and can help me work through it. Hell, just writing it helps. 

Exercise was a big help for me, too, though it didn't keep me from drinking way too much and against my will. It helped in many other ways, and part of it was the sense of accomplishment. (Not to mention all those feel-good chemicals running through the brain after a good workout. How I miss those!!) Is there something you can do besides running while your body heals? 

I don't know how I feel about fasting when you're trying to deal with managing booze intake. I know there can be some benefits to fasting, but I tend to think that they increase the craving and compulsion for alcohol. I can't back that up with sound research, but it's my experience. And I also know that many of us have control issues and/or eating disorders related to a similar compulsion as drinking...

So on to some suggestions:

Baclofen is, as I mentioned above, a long term solution. There's a lot of information you can read on baclofen (and the other meds) in the research section.

You've already found the short term ones. (Phenibut and benzos) Some of us can drink after we've reached a place with baclofen that the compulsion isn't there anymore. I was one of those. It is a source of debate, though, with many people feeling strongly that one must abstain forever in order to be well. I strongly disagree, but appreciate the debate. (I don't pretend to have all the answers anymore!!) One of the things I'm certain of, based on my own experience and what I've read over the years, is that changing the habit and filling up the time when one is used to drinking, is just as important as taking the pills.  

Another option is naltrexone. It's prescribed in two ways. The first way (usually how it's prescribed in most countries) is the traditional "maintain abstinence and take this pill every single day to control cravings". Research has proven this improves chances of maintaining abstinence.

The other way to take naltrexone is via The Sinclair Method. You take the pill one hour before you drink, every single time you drink. You can't ever miss or skip a dose. This leads to "extinction" of the feel good aspect of alcohol and you'll eventually just find that booze doesn't have any appeal. It can take many, many months to get to that point.

Campral has also been shown effective for people who are interested in abstaining. It helps with cravings. But it seems to work best for people who do not drink at all, ever. And it also seems like it only works the first time around. 

But the bottom line is that none of them is a quick fix. And if you're looking to just lower the amount you drink in a session, but continue to drink on Fri/Sat, then there really isn't a good medicinal option for you. It's just (in my humble opinion) going to have to be will power. That never worked for me, but who knows? Maybe it's worth a continued effort...

That doesn't mean that you aren't welcome to post here, no matter what you decide. We have a variety of people at very different stages of their experience in trying to manage their alcoholism (or AUD, if you prefer) and you'll find support for the journey. 

Hang in there and keep in touch. :hug:

• Like 2