The End of my Addiction

Nalmefene

Nicnak

Hi everyone 

last year I tried Baclofen but for one reason and another I stopped it even though I had great success.

so this year my gp referred me to my local addictions centre and I asked to be put on Nalmefene and after some discussions they agreed.Ive now been on it for 6 weeks but to be honest I've not seen any improvement in my drinking or desire to drink less but I'm going to stick with it and follow the 2 hour rule.

Im also starting to use Baclofen again but very very slowly because last time I hit my switch at 180mg after only 16 days which I know is madness 

• Like 1

Ah, yes. Now I remember you. It's the 16 days to 180mg that reminded me. That IS a little extreme. HA!

I'm sorry that the nalmefene isn't working. Hopefully it will soon, or the baclofen (at a much more reasonable titration) will work for you again. 

1 hour ago, Nicnak said:

...but I'm going to stick with it and follow the 2 hour rule.

Does that mean that you're taking it 2 hours before you drink every time you drink? I know The Sinclair Method calls for taking naltrexone 1 hour before you drink, but not on the days you don't drink. Like that, but two hours? Or are you supposed to take it every single day no matter what? Or, is it moot because you're drinking every day anyway? 

Glad you've joined us over here.

1 hour ago, Nicnak said:

Hi everyone 

last year I tried Baclofen but for one reason and another I stopped it even though I had great success.

Hi Nicnak.

I remember you as well, welcome! Why did you stop it is it was a great success?

• Like 2

TSM (which is the mechanism by which nalmefene works) can take up to 2 years for some people, do keep on taking it just incase you do notice a change.

• Like 1

NE

nalmefene needs to be taken 2 hours before unlike naltrexone that only needs 1 hour 

molly

I sort of overdosed on Baclofen because of trying a different brand and also I titrated down to quickly because I thought I would run out before the next shipment came and then I lost my switch.

plus my doctor got really mad at me and basically refused to treat me for anything else if I was still on Baclofen.

i had a sort of meltdown and thought coming off it was my only option 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicnak said:

plus my doctor got really mad at me and basically refused to treat me for anything else if I was still on Baclofen.

That does not show a duty of care IMO - Or an open mind, which is worrying

Change your GP

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

This wasn't my actual go(she was off long term sick at the time) But it it really depressed me at the time and if I had been a stronger person I would have put in a complaint 

• Like 2