The End of my Addiction

Baclofenman
On 20/07/2016 at 5:30 AM, joesixpack said:

Joanna wanted me to pass on a bit of info, wrt CThree Europe, she said:

"...we don't have a lot of money at all! Wish we did. Our donations per year total around £500 max - and most of that is raised through me killing myself on a cycle ride! In fact, that cycle ride raised enough money to be able to get our counselling certifications.... In addition, since the website began in April 2014, I have paid for the running of it, and all expenses including phone calls etc, out of my own pocket....."

I know that she has a business that she runs too and has to take time from that to keep C3E going and provide free counseling for folks. There's an ongoing formal counseling requirement to get Namefene or Naltrexone on the NHS, plus C3 and C3E provide informal counseling for TSM'ers outside the UK as time allows. 

I have never tried TSM, @joesixpack so have nothing constructive to offer - However She and You have my utmost respect for promoting a regime you firmly believe can combat this disease that afflicts us all

Regards

Bacman

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joesixpack

• Ne1

• Mentium

• Molly78

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm still an active dependent drinker and very unhappy to be so. Naltrexone is a route I have not yet tried (tried baclofen but the SEs were too much for me). I've been reading quite a lot about

Hopefully there will be more yet, @Baclofenman.  More, easier, cheaper, faster.  There must be other out of patent drugs out there that could help, sounds like a good way to put people to work, l

Thanks @joesixpack. TSM is one thing I haven't tried. I'm getting near the end of my rope, so maybe that's something I'll consider.   In better news, I'm doing an OK job of trying to get off this bend

joesixpack

Hopefully there will be more yet, @Baclofenman.  More, easier, cheaper, faster. 

There must be other out of patent drugs out there that could help, sounds like a good way to put people to work, learning how to  do studies on such candidates and separate the wheat from the chaff. 

When I read about Ondansetron, it seemed that was something that really needed attention. Works better for early onset alcoholics (started drinking before 25), and cheaper than Naltrexone. I think when I checked on GoodRx, it was only $13 for 30 4mg pills and a study that found it effective only use 4 micrograms per kilogram (about 1/4 milligram). 

There's also a blood pressure med called Isradipine that showed promise. Well, if you needed that kind of med anyway and your doctor didn't object... why not? 

I'm sure there are others out there. 

Until then, I at least want people that haven't had good results with the traditional method (detox and strict abstinence) or who are looking at paying $40k or more for detox and some 12-step meetings to know that they have options, and some very good ones at that!

• Like 4

Ok, have any of the rest of you had the experience where you think you've read a thread, and then when you read it again, you realized that you completely missed the plot? Is it just me? :$

Joe, I completely missed that you and Joanna started a subreddit. There is also a subreddit for baclofen, started by a member of MWO, for the same reasons that you guys started one. Unfortunately it doesn't get much traffic. That subreddit is the one I was referring to. https://www.reddit.com/r/BaclofenForAlcoholism/

I actually feel pretty badly about not making the time to participate there. I mean, Reddit is SO powerful, and you are absolutely right that it's frustrating that /r/Alcoholism is so 12-step oriented. I mean for crying out loud, it's Reddit! Where everything goes! Anyway. 

Joanna's commitment is nothing short of amazing. I'm shocked that there isn't a lot of money behind the scenes. The site is so polished, with so much information, I just assumed it was professionally done and supported by a board of directors and the celebrity endorsement. (And her fundraising efforts from races. Very cool.) I have to be honest that it's kind of disheartening, too. This forum will have to pay for itself, or it can't stay open. (We raised enough before we started to make sure it would be open for a year.) 

Stuck, I'll put this on your thread, but there's a list of online pharmacies on the forum. 

Also, someone posted an article that the research on Nalmefene was flawed, and that it wasn't compared to other, less expensive drugs before it was patented. (Surprise, surprise!) 

joesixpack

I don't know what CThreeFoundation has to work with, but CThreeEurope is Joanna's effort. OptionsSaveLives is CThree, but Joanna moderates. 

Yeah, Nalmefene can be a good option for folks with liver problems, but Lundbeck's effort did get the notion of "as needed" dosing out there and that's the core of TSM. We've had a couple of vets come through and say that the VA is prescribing oral Naltrexone this way, I've heard that Kaiser Permanente is doing the same, so the word is spreading. 

Contral Clinics (think TSM in Finland) has expanded into Europe and just recently Canada. They've opened a new facility in Massachusetts as well. Canada also has a nationwide TSM resource via the Interior Ministry of Chemical Dependency and they offer telehealth sessions, so if you've got the internet, you've got an appointment.  

• Like 2

@joesixpack That's incredible improvement! 

So the foundation and the forum are different entities? I understand why, but think that forums are an incredibly valuable resource and am disappointed that Joanna doesn't have more support. 

Thank you again for participating here, too. 

• Like 1
joesixpack

My pleasure, Ne1! 

Last I heard, C3E was in the process of becoming a registered charity, so while that carries it's own load, it at least opens the path for donations so she doesn't have to carry the whole financial burden herself. 

Fortunately CThree handles the techno aspects of the forum, so that's all set up for her. 

• Like 1

That makes sense, Joe. 

We have a brilliant Wizard-Behind-The-Technical-Curtain who handles all things tech on his own time, and his own dime. 

I look forward to the day when we can create a non-profit and shake up the world of what passes for treatment! It's a fantasy, but one I really want to make a reality. 

• Like 1
joesixpack

Bit by bit we're getting there. That's why I participate in /r/stopdrinking and /r/alcoholism too, otherwise folks keep on getting the same 12-step "get back on the wagon" message. Which is fine, if you can afford the time and damage involved in relapse, but I suspect few would pay for another wagon ride if they knew where it was likely to be going (another relapse) and were presented with effective alternatives.

• Like 1