The End of my Addiction
Miranda212

NEW ARTICLE ON BACLOFEN

bleep

Cool article, and some interesting discussion for a change. Not all rabid wally's with a viewpoint that cannot be changed. Sadly, the more I get into this, the more it seems to be either a self-selecting audience that approves to the bitter end, or just a bunch of wankers that will not look at studies, and have their fixed viewpoint. I understand the aversion to narratives, they are useless when deciding what works and what doesn't, but at what point do you gather all the narratives up and think, hang on, something is afoot! Having looked at how science works, (and wishing I had taken a more scientific route at schools, rather than smoking behind the bikesheds), I get the reluctance. But jeesh. Having had it work for me, so well, in front of at least two doctors, who knew me personally, and knew the disasters that regularly befall me, I would expect more.

Saying that, those familiar with my story will know that I went to a psychiatrist fairly early on, who had been involved in other chemical experiments with alchies to see what might help. I was the first guy he came across who was pushing (bad choice of words) HDB, and he prescribed and was with me through the initial phases. I lost contact with him after reaching indifference, and recently bumped into him in a bar (of all places), and he mentioned that as a result of my titration with him, he had several patients successfully using baclofen, right now. He was very optimistic as to its future, and that's here in a little backwater in the middle of nowhere.

This shit is contagious. Success is contagious. It will out soon enough. I feel like I'm living in a revolution on all fronts, country, economic, personal... Fortunately, the revolution will not be televised. It's a good time to be alive, we are a hugely privileged society, and we are making the most of it. Viva la revolucion! On a more serious note, most revolutions end in disaster, so wish me luck.

Perhaps slightly too melodramatic, but hey, why not.

• Like 6

Molly78

I love the description of AA as "The bureau of grim determination". Absolutely sums it up!

And Bleep - you're so right about anecdotal evidence (peoples'stories) being underestimated by professionals..........until they reach critical mass, then, hopefully.....BOOM!

• Like 4

Baclofenman
14 hours ago, Molly78 said:

I love the description of AA as "The bureau of grim determination". Absolutely sums it up!

And Bleep - you're so right about anecdotal evidence (peoples'stories) being underestimated by professionals..........until they reach critical mass, then, hopefully.....BOOM!

Yes - A great article, mixed with a tinge of irony and sarcasm - My favourite quote is from the comments

Article Comments said:

In my mercifully short stints in AA, I met an astounding number of individuals who truly believed that alcohol was their problem. They were often traumatized, grief-stricken, depressed, bipolar, and/or schizophrenic sufferers who used the 12 steps to continue to repress their issues, prayer in place of treatment, and distraction through service to others to avoid delving the depths of their own suffering and misery. Each time a dysfunction emerged within their behavior, they simply berated themselves for their selfishness, ingratitude, and arrogant ego; each time a dysfunctional relationship played out in their lives they used the 12 steps to bolster their co-dependency issues; each time their emotional pain shot to the surface they used prayer to suppress it.

Regards

Bacman

Edited by Baclofenman
  • Like 5

Ne1

@Miranda212, thank you so much for linking that article! I know I'm late to this party, but I just saw this thread for the first time. 

Great article. It needs to go into the baclofen section about medications! 

Hope you're well!

neophyte

I bet there is a lot of interesting info in the book mentioned in the article 2015, Dr. Markus Heilig published a book The Thirteenth Step: Addiction in the Age of Brain Science. the title is a nice subtle stab at AA :)

• Like 1