The End of my Addiction

Alcohol - units

Mentium

Hi all, At Ne's suggestion here are some of the basic unit measures of alcohol in case you are thinking of logging or monitoring your intake. Depending on what you read one should not be drinking more than 14 units a week. We all do though or we wouldn't be here, right?!

Somebody may wish to make this sticky.

I am about to go the 'Sinclair Method' route, part of which strongly suggests keeping a log of one's intake as it (hopefully) decreases.

These are UK measures. If you are in the USA you might find they vary a bit. I know your normal 'beer' (which is basically our lager here) is pretty weak stuff - by our standards anyway.

Pint of Lager                                                    
2.0 units

Can of superstrength lager (can be 10%)           
1.9 units

Shot of whisky
1.0 unit

Pint of strong ale or lager
3.0 units

Small glass of wine
1.3 units

Large glass of wine
3.3 units

The link takes you to a handy calculator:

http://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/help-and-advice/help-and-advice-with-your-drinking/unit-calculator/?gclid=CLXe_uup880CFQmNGwodYDYECg  

• Like 1

I find it easier to think of a bottle of wine as 8 units, as glasses vary in size. In fact the strength of wine also varies , but average for a Sauvignon Blanc is about 12%. Reds can be 14%, some of the lighter wines 10%, but my poison was always a SB. You need to read the label on whatever it is you drink regularly if it's wine.

Also a "shot " is 25mls. It helps to actually measure it if you're counting units as it's a frighteningly small amount - only just covers the bottom of the glasss!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Molly78 said:

I find it easier to think of a bottle of wine as 8 units, as glasses vary in size. In fact the strength of wine also varies , but average for a Sauvignon Blanc is about 12%. Reds can be 14%, some of the lighter wines 10%, but my poison was always a SB. You need to read the label on whatever it is you drink regularly if it's wine.

Also a "shot " is 25mls. It helps to actually measure it if you're counting units as it's a frighteningly small amount - only just covers the bottom of the glasss!

Maybe the one already on the forum may be more adaptable to choice?

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baclofenman said:

Regards

Bacman

Yeah, that one's a lot more specific than the link Mentium put on - didn't realise it was there!

Thanks, Bacman!

Thanks, Menty and Molly. I totally forgot that we already had a unit calculator on here! Funny...I wish I could blame my lack of memory on something other than my age. ;)

On 7/14/2016 at 4:51 PM, Baclofenman said: