The End of my Addiction

StuckinLA

@terryk, yes if I go the baclofen route again I will definitely include gabapentin. I didn't do that last time, but I know there are several people (not sure if they migrated over here from MWO) who do that combination. For me, gabapentin feels like a multivitamin - really, no side effects - so I don't see any reason to give it up. I do need to be a little more regimented and consistent with it - I don't freak out about doses and schedules like I did with bac, so I'm kind of all over the place time-wise, but a fairly constant 1800-2400mg/day.

In other news, the girl hung out for a little bit after her nap, and it was lovely. I was feeling like a complete wreck. And I'm not proud, but I started drinking almost immediately after she left. Beer #3 and the shaking stopped and starting to feel normal again. Ugh. Fridge full of beer, but I'm not buying liquor today.

• Like 2
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ne1

• Nicnak

• Baclofenman

• StuckinLA

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning everyone. I hope you all had a nice weekend, and for those in the US, a nice long weekend. I got at least two of the three days off (although I only have to go in for a few hours today).

Hi all, I'm back from Europe/Britain.   Had a great time with Dad. Made me happy to see him so happy. Was in London during Brexit vote, with old family friends who voted Leave. Was

I picture myself driving along with a car full of balloons blown up by sober people.

Posted Images

If you haven't already figured it out, I've been reading ALL of the posts and threads that I haven't read before, so I've littered the board with my thoughts and words. Some of the threads are outdated, but there was such good stuff on there that I couldn't resist responding. (I wrote this on another thread, too...) I'm so happy and amazed and profoundly moved by our little home here. Such good stuff. Thank you all, again and again and again. I am so grateful for a place to participate that is safe and comfortable and genuine. And not littered with trolls. Shout out to the Admin and Moderators for keeping this place clean. :75_EmoticonsHDcom:

SKENDALL! YAY! You were missed. Glad to see you back again and that your computer is fixed. (That must've been very frustrating. I'd lose my mind if that happened to me, but I'm more than a little attached to my Mac. Almost fair to say it's an obsession and I do EVERYTHING on this thing. Anyway...)

Cool about the miramba band! Bummer about the growth in your lung. I think the book you were thinking of is Alan Carr's book: 

https://smile.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easy-Stop-Smoking/dp/0615482155/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1468855221&sr=1-1&keywords=alan+carr+stop+smoking

Are you pushing for surgery just for your eyes? What about your injuries? EDIT: Also, 100mg of gabapentin is not very much at all. Are you taking it for nerve pain? 

17 hours ago, StuckinLA said:

I think it's safe to say that the gabapentin experiment was a bust.

Don't want to deal with the baclofen side effects, but I am considering it again. Freaking AA hasn't worked (not that I truly worked it), but I'm at the point of considering like an outpatient rehab or something. I'd have to quit drinking for a week or so first, since the one I looked into a couple years ago won't take anyone without a medical detox first, and I don't have the money (or insurance right now) for that. And with the Ativan here I'm doing about everything that a hospital would do anyway.

Hiya, Stuck. So sorry about where you are right now. Glad you're reaching out for some support, though. I think any one of the things you mentioned, or a combination of them, is bound to be productive if you can commit to them. I know you know that baclofen doesn't really work well if you take it namby-pamby, and I think that's true of most meds, too. Consistency is key. Ditto AA. I'm not suggesting that there aren't serious problems with that program, but at least you're surrounded by people just like us. (Just found out today that Ed only has to go to three meetings. I'm actually kind of disappointed. Isn't that funny? I mean, I don't want to, or won't, go for my own sake, but was eager to do it for and with him. My mind is so weird.) 

I also wanted to mention that I have never paid for any of the rehabs I went to, or the detox. Check out your local health boards...I can't really remember where I found the information, but I guarantee you that in a city the size of LA there are treatment options that you could qualify for and might be a good way to jump start some sober time. I know that the last time I went into treatment, I was such a mess that I couldn't have, or wouldn't have, been able to sort out my own life. I hope you can avoid the depths of that sorrow. Rehab didn't get me and keep me sober, but it gave me some quality sober time. And some good lessons to take with me...Like eating and sleeping on a strict schedule. And exercising every day. I mean, I didn't get much out of the program or what passes for treatment, but I felt ready to face my life when I came out, and managed to hold it together and clean up some messes. Anyway, now I'm rambling. Just glad to see you here and proud of you for at least waiting until your SO left before you opened the beer. 

I've been reading and writing on here for the last 3 hours, so I'm going to sign off and pick it back up tomorrow and read all the rest of the stuff I've missed. 

Howdy to everyone else! And hope it's a good day, y'all! 

SKendall

Hiya,

I can't remember if I posted here or MWO so I'll make it a short version.  We got an offer on the house - $150K under, we've countered the offer, let's see.

Stuck on the gabapentin, withdrawal is supposed to be scary at those levels, but you seem to be handling it.  As I said, I was on 100g for 3 days and stopped.  Felt groggy, headachy and had (ahem) flatulence.  Memory issues and the whole shebang.  It could be I am not a good camdidate for it and I would have pushed through except for memory issues.  I panic when I didn't remember.

Ne, you're right about being w/o computer, it was awful and I fall asleep watching Netflix and Hulu.  I thought I would binge watch OITNB.  Maybe it was all the recent tragedies and racial issues, but I couldn't watch it.  There was a scene where the existing mixture of Latino's called the new inmates Dum in a can..  Sounds like I'm a sooky la la, but accepting all these tragedies and that possibly we have a new world order is overwhelming.

On one website they showed all of the bedlam in Cyprus and they named it Trump's 1st day in office, lol.  Of course Trump will deal with it "bigly"

• Like 2

Stuck, sorry to hear it's crap. give it a bash, not much to lose...

I've a question with these interlock things - what stops someone else blowing into it for you?

@SKendall, it's really weird how differently these medications affect each of us. I posted this on my thread, but will repeat it here. Gabapentin makes me really stoned and I don't like it at all. But honestly, if you're taking it for nerve pain, you might want to stick with it. It is super effective for that. And as far as side effects are concerned, all meds have the potential for bad withdrawal symptoms. Even cold medicine. You just have to titrate down slowly and conscientously. I know you'll do what's best for you, of course, but I also know you're in a lot of pain and that can really make life hard. If you really don't want to take the gaga, then maybe there is a newer or different medication that I just don't know about but could help with your pain. I hope so. That is wonderful about the offer on the house. I'm gonna send good vibes and prayers to the Universe that it all works out and you can get that albatross off of your neck. (From wiki: The word albatross is sometimes used metaphorically to mean a psychological burden…)

I hear you about being so dismayed and alarmed by the violence happening in our country, and the responses to it. Y'all know I don't want to talk politics, at all, ever, because people get bent out of shape about it. (We have already had one member quit after a heated discussion about politics. Let's try to avoid that happening again. Anyway…) You don't need to talk politics to be really freaked out about what's going on here (US) and in other parts of the world, too. It's a scary time. I wonder if it's just a matter of a new way of looking at things, (phone cameras and social media) or if this really world-altering and as frightening as it seems to be. But whatever the case, I monitor my intake of bad news very carefully or I'll get really stressed and anxious about it. Not good for someone in early recovery. 

@bleep, the interlock has a camera on it. That's a new development, actually. They didn't used to and you could absolutely have other people blow into it for you. I'm really glad it has the camera. It keeps everyone safe from people driving drunk. But like all the other tools, I'm sure you can undermine it if you're determined enough and sneaky enough. Neither of us are that sneaky anymore, though. Ed can't lie. Seriously. It's funny and frankly, it's a wonderful thing to have in a spouse. One of the reasons that we were so worried about the DUI, I mean in addition to all the normal reasons, is because Ed told the police officer who arrested him a bunch of self-incriminating things. His lawyer was like, "You said WHAT?!?!" lol. 

Husky is staring and howling at me. (Did anyone watch the video I posted on my thread about huskies talking? They're really hysterical. I'm gonna watch 'em every time I need a good laugh. Maybe it's just funny for those of us who have a Husky?) 

I'm super motivated to get some solid studying done today after I take her for a walk. I'm also motivated to up my speed when we're walking. I think it would be really fun to be in a 'race' of some sort. Have you guys heard of Mud Runs? It's running through a muddy mess and doing a bunch of obstacle along the way. It looks and sounds really fun. 

Do you guys want to see a picture of my amazing hibiscus bush? Probably not. But it's gorgeous and makes me happy. In fact, now that we've done all the hard work of weeding and mulching and trimming things up, the garden I planted last year is really pretty and nice to admire. 

Alright, I'm outta here. Have a good day, peeps! 

• Like 2
StuckinLA
5 hours ago, Ne1 said:

@bleep, the interlock has a camera on it. That's a new development, actually. They didn't used to and you could absolutely have other people blow into it for you. I'm really glad it has the camera.

Oh, I didn't know about the camera development. It also sets off an alarm inside the car to tell you to blow again, like randomly, every half hour or so that you're driving the car. So you have to pull over quick or just risk the distraction of blowing into this thing. Otherwise it sets off you headlights flashing and your horn blowing and sends all the info to the cops so they can fucking arrest you. 

That's all to defeat the cheat of having someone else blow into it. Also to keep you from being able to blow and start the car, then stop at the liquor store, before you're on your way.

• Like 1

I'm a bit embarrassed by my last post... peeing on a tree. Really? I should explain that there is something in urine that makes lemon or lime trees fruit better. Okay, I've already said too much!

I seem to be coming out of my Panadine Forte haze, and with it I have six days or so AL-free. My back is still not good, but I seem to be able to keep the pain at bay with Panadol and Nurafen.

I have had serious problems with my wife and the repercussions for my kids. It's her depression/anxiety and drinking. I finally managed to talk to her last night about it and she will go see a councillor and look at taking Naltrexone, or look at going to a rehab. I am so relieved. It has been really hard on me and the kids.

She has already tried Baclofen last Xmas, but it was with me as the administrating Dr (if you know what I mean) which was stupid. I kept telling her to titrate up 10mg every 3-4 days until she reached indifference. She got to 280mg, still drinking almost as much, falling asleep in meetings during the day, passing out early at night, occasionally fainting and finding herself on the floor a few minutes later, vomiting and sore joints/knotted up muscles. She titrated down off Bac and hates the stuff.

Of course I have not been helping since I got back from Europe three weeks ago. There was the combination of titrating up on Bac, jet-lag and then once I got home, hang-overs here and there. And early sobriety (such as it was) vagueness/detachment.

I also have a bad cough - I am wheezing and coughing a wet cough. A cold. But also perhaps a good time to stop smoking. I am going to try.

My daughter (who at 11 has clear anxiety and potential depression issues) knows I smoke, even though I try to hide it from her. She is anxious about me dying from smoking and wants me to stop. It's difficult, because I agree with her but I am finding it hard to.

Exercise, oh how I hate thee. I used to love running -- it was my go to from 13 till about 35. I just can't get myself to even walk much these days. Don't know why, but I know the endorphin rush I used to get from exercise has gone ever ince I started on ADs. I wish I could go to a health retreat, wean myself off the ADs and ramp up exercise/meditaton and CBT and then see how I feel.

• Like 3

mjm

last time when I reached indifference at 180mg I lost it by coming down to fast and then titrated up to way over my switch dose.I got to 280mg and I to had the knotted up muscles in my neck and shoulders.I found it unbearable and no one in my house would give me s massage!

Anyway that was last October/Nov and I recently reached indifference again in just 160mg and the SE's are so much better this time.

I know your wife won't try it again but it's a shame.

My worst SE this time is constipation,so much so that I've ordered a home enema kit!....ill let very one know how that goes lol 

• Like 1
StuckinLA

Well, there's Ativan left to do this one more time. Slowing down my drinking and tapering off to Sober (obviously) didn't work. Hell, I drank four beers when I woke up today. Passed out for a little bit in the afternoon. Smoked the last cigarettes in my pack, poured the last beer in the fridge down the sink, then went for a walk. Came back, slapped on a nicotine patch and went for another walk. 

Now I'm going to turn on some TV and try to get some sleep.

• Like 1

Best of luck to you @StuckinLA, I know where you are, it's tough. If you're still in the process of getting meds, this supplement might help you in the meantime, it's called MODER8 and I found it helpful. Not a panacea, but helpful in making it easier to say no. It works by increasing GABA much like benzos and other drugs in this forum.

https://www.moder8now.com/

Good night, Chuck

• Like 2

MJM, I had a similar experience with my husband, only the exact opposite. I had terrible side effects, mostly due to my own actions, some not. The stress of living with me through that period made him swear off any chance that he would consider taking baclofen. (He also admitted, and was adamant, that he didn't want to quit drinking.) It was a couple of months after I achieved indifference when he told me he wanted to try it because I was so happy. But the intervening months were really hard. Hang in there!

I agree with Nicnak that it's a shame, but understandable, that she doesn't want to try again. Glad she's thinking about nal. It's very hard to do with medication. I have no idea how people do it without! 

Nicnak, I @'d at you on the supplement thread. My psychiatrist recommends magnesium. 250mg. Not the gel kind, because it has artificial coloring in it. 

Stuck, hope you had a good start to today and that you're feeling okay! 

We (plural!) had another AF (and for him, mind-altering-free) night last night! Very cool. So much easier to do when he's on board. Turns out there is a new urinalysis test (EtG) that can show alcohol consumption for the previous 4 days! Lots of technological improvements in the alcoholism industry, y'all. They might suck, they might feel punitive, but damn if they don't work! Ed's scared straight. Too bad the last DUI didn't keep it from happening again… At least we're going to be able to create some AF space in this house, regardless of indifference or anything else. 

(Also, I should point out that all these failsafes didn't work for our friend who was on probation after killing two men when driving drunk. It is inconceivable that she failed her Interlock device 3 times in one year, knowing what she'd done and the fact that she was facing the rest of her considerable jail time if she drank at all, ever. I have to wonder what might have happened if she had access to medication and actual treatment. But that's moot now.) 

On a different thread @Rusty (:75_EmoticonsHDcom:) said I shouldn't just reach out, unsolicited, to people I think it might help. But I really struggle with that decision more often than you would imagine. That was in the context of someone who was trying to go to AA and not finding any relief or sobriety. It's not like she doesn't think she's one of us! But there have been quite a few others over the years… And I wonder if it really matters if things don't work out. It's not like these are close friends, or they would already know about baclofen, naltrexone or meds in general. So what if they aren't ready? Some day, when they are, if they have Dr. Ameisen's book, they might just pick it up.

Is the AA way, of attraction rather than promotion, really viable when we all (those that take meds and participate in anonymous, online forums for support) don't tell anyone, ever? I'd rather send the book and lose the already tenuous or distant friendship if that's how it turns out. I have another distant friend who 'confessed' to me (on Facebook, of course) that she was 90 days sober in AA. I didn't tell her about this forum, or my experience, strength and hope, which is medication and online support, but I was tempted. She's working the program, though, and I don't want to undermine that by pointing out that AA often doesn't work for long term contented sobriety. (Sometimes it does.) 

What do you guys think? 

StuckinLA

What a difference a day makes. We'll see how the afternoon goes, but it's indescribable how much better I felt this morning. Not smoking is a little rough, already, especially through my morning coffee routine. But went for a jog - and the improvement is so vast that I can almost safely call it an actual jog. 

Still working the gabapentin. Think I might go ahead and order some nal. I want sobriety right now, for a while (one day at a time, but I'm really hopeful). And I wouldn't start drinking again on purpose to try TSM. But it would be nice to know that if (when, let's be honest) I end up drinking again, then I'll have that route to go and see what can be done. 

• Like 2
Molly78
40 minutes ago, Ne1 said:

My psychiatrist recommends magnesium. 250mg. Not the gel kind, because it has artificial coloring in it. 

Excuse me? Here we all are on this forum buying meds off the internet, some of us on several different forms of AD at the same time, some of us drinking at the same time as taking all these meds........and you're worrying about ARTIFICIAL COLORING??  Oh,  & at least one of our number is a vegan as well.  (Stuck, don't tell me you in your current state of mental health worried about artificial coloring as well as the origins of your food?)

I'm laughing at all of us in the nicest possible way!  After all, anyone from the non-alcohollic world reading some of these posts would have to have a laugh, surely?

Edited by Molly78
  • Like 3

Stuck,it's can't hurt using 2 alcohol meds at the same time,throw everything at this gorilla in the room!

I was using Nalmefene with Baclofen before I became indifferent 

On another note I got the results of my online blood test back but 4 of the tests were void due to me not giving enough blood I think,couldn't get enough blood out of my finger so no clotting issues there.

But....my goblin was 38... High

bilirubin 5 normal 

protein normal 

and albumin 43 normal

the goblin isn't good so I could be in trouble but I'm worried I didn't get a result for the ggt so I've sent off for another one but also seeing my doc on thursday

• Like 3
StuckinLA
2 hours ago, Molly78 said:

Oh,  & at least one of our number is a vegan as well.  (Stuck, don't tell me you in your current state of mental health worried about artificial coloring as well as the origins of your food?)

Just for that, I'm about to grill up a veggie burger for lunch. :)

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Molly78 said:

Excuse me? Here we all are on this forum buying meds off the internet, some of us on several different forms of AD at the same time, some of us drinking at the same time as taking all these meds........and you're worrying about ARTIFICIAL COLORING??  

BAHAHAHA! I know, right? That was my psychiatrist's comment, not mine. We mostly eat 'real' food, and avoid processed stuff, but I eat candy that is nothing but artificial coloring with a ton of sugar thrown in amongst the chemicals. Candy with chemicals is the best. 

My psychiatrist is a bit of a health nut. I try to do what she suggests because, honestly, I want to be her when I grow up and get my sh*t together. It's nice to have a doctor that I know enough about, who knows enough about me, that I can actually call her a role model. But part of it is that her dream is to be a full time life coach, not just a pill pusher. I see her outside of her normal practice hours and pay her directly for our time together. It's one of the reasons she is so (relatively) inexpensive--she can do 'life coaching' out of her office, on her own time, which is paid for by the practice. 

Nicnak, why are you doing these tests on your own? Or is that the way the NHS works, that you send in your own blood work? 

Stuck, hope you enjoyed the veggie burger! And there are definitely more vegans. Three that I know of! i can't imagine...

• Like 1

I've had them done on the NHS but I've heard that standard LFT's don't test ggt which is a marker for liver disease,although why they wouldn't do this test is beyond me

Healthcare is so different there in so many ways. Couldn't you just ask your doctor to include the ggt in your blood work? 

I'm glad you're taking care of yourself, however you are doing it! 

StuckinLA

Haven't been sleeping for crap past few nights (understandably, 'cause Sobriety). I caved on the smoking, bought a can of tobacco for roll-your-own yesterday morning.

I was sitting there with the last 2 chapters of my novel printed out in front of me, going over them in that "I'm going to work today!" kind of way, and man what a mess. In screenwriting, they divide commercial movies into 5 Acts - intro, conflict is introduced, first big fight the hero loses, etc. The acts have nicknames - Act IV, right after the hero loses the first big battle, and all seems lost before s/he somehow rallies and goes off to win, that act is called "Dark Night of the Soul." That's where I was. Had a real Come To Jesus moment, and realized what I need to do, which is going to be a lot lot lot of work. 

Anyway, back to the sleeping. Been not sleeping but a couple hours intermittently, and being up for the day at 6 or so. It's only been 2 weeks since I taught last, but this morning my internal timeline is all screwed up. I'm like, what time do I have to get ready? What time do I have to leave for work? Should I be pouring another cup of coffee or getting in the shower right now? Didn't I have to print something? How early do I have to be to make copies? 

Ack. 

More coffee it is.

• Like 2
On 7/21/2016 at 2:46 PM, Ne1 said:

On a different thread @Rusty (:75_EmoticonsHDcom:) said I shouldn't just reach out, unsolicited, to people I think it might help. But I really struggle with that decision more often than you would imagine. That was in the context of someone who was trying to go to AA and not finding any relief or sobriety. It's not like she doesn't think she's one of us! But there have been quite a few others over the years… And I wonder if it really matters if things don't work out. It's not like these are close friends, or they would already know about baclofen, naltrexone or meds in general. So what if they aren't ready? Some day, when they are, if they have Dr. Ameisen's book, they might just pick it up.

Is the AA way, of attraction rather than promotion, really viable when we all (those that take meds and participate in anonymous, online forums for support) don't tell anyone, ever? I'd rather send the book and lose the already tenuous or distant friendship if that's how it turns out. I have another distant friend who 'confessed' to me (on Facebook, of course) that she was 90 days sober in AA. I didn't tell her about this forum, or my experience, strength and hope, which is medication and online support, but I was tempted. She's working the program, though, and I don't want to undermine that by pointing out that AA often doesn't work for long term contented sobriety. (Sometimes it does.) 

What do you guys think? 

It's very thoughtful of you, @Ne1. I think that it is ok to mention these meds unsolicited, but only if the person has already confessed to some form of alcohol problem. It sounds like in the contexts you mention, that is the case. We're not telling them they have a problem, we're just telling them they have another option. Maybe they already know about the meds, but the majority of people probably don't. And it's not like now we're responsible. All the choices they make are theirs. And about the proximity of the friendship - if it's already distant yeah I think there's no reason to hold back - the potential benefit outweighs the potential risk. But I think if it's a close friend, and especially if they're in some form of treatment and it isn't working, we have an even greater ethical obligation to mention it. By deliberately holding back, we're furthering their problems by willfully withholding help they could use, which is unethical. Example: let's say you're camping by the side of a rapidly moving river. Suddenly, you see your friend far out in the river. Do you know why he's there? No. Maybe he's doing it for the thrill. Maybe he started to wade out and got sucked in. Either way he might be in danger. So, while you don't have the obligation (depending on how selfless of a person you are) to swim out and rescue him, because that would be putting you in danger, you do have the obligation to at least offer help, in the form of shouting "hey, you ok out there?" or something. Because by withholding at least an offer for help, you're maintaining his perilous risk:benefit ratio when you could reduce that ratio at no cost to you.

However in the second instance, where the friend, distant or not, is finding AA to work, I agree it's best to remain reticent. I'm a big fan of the Latin maxim "stare decisis et non quieta movere" - let the decision stand and don't touch what it settled. Kind of like "if it's not broken don't fix it". If the AA is working, she likes it, and she's sober, let it be.

But I think that the first condition I mentioned, that the person has already admitted, verbally (not "shown", "displayed" or any other BS), to an alcohol problem is essential in all cases. Sounds like that's not in contest but just wanted to underscore.

I have a personal experience with this because two years ago when I was drinking very heavily, I had a downstairs neighbor who had been an alcoholic (or so he said, it seemed to me he had just been a heavy drinker, I think he liked the attention of humblebragging about being AF in AA) and one day I went down to put my copious beer bottles in the recycling bin only to see the Big Book sitting there, neatly centered atop the existing bottles, waiting for me. I had never said anything to him about having a drinking problem but I didn't hide my drinking from him either. This enraged me on several fronts. First of all, I was fully aware of my drinking, who was he to tell me it had ventured into problem territory? What an arrogant, holier-than-thou f*ck. Second, the cowardice of putting the book in the recycling bin rather than having the guts to tell me directly. Yeah it's tough to tell someone, but there are tons of eHow articles and the like, and if he had really cared, he would have made that effort rather than self-servingly leaving the book to send me a message while covering his own ass. Third, it sent a permanent message of contempt and severance. He and I had become somewhat friendly, and there was always a little tension in the air when I was drinking and he wasn't, but he had always seemed to think I was self-aware enough to leave the problem to me and not meddle in my affairs. But by leaving the book, it was a 180. He was saying to me "You're a drunk and I don't believe you can help yourself and therefore I must intervene" (again, the arrogance...). And so our friendship immediately evaporated, I didn't like the feeling of being constantly judged and he was probably embarrassed about his cowardice. And - the big question - did it do me any good? Hell no! I felt battered down, and so I did what any problem drinker does in that state - just kept hitting the bottle. I don't think my drinking increased, but it at least stayed the same; I also felt something along the lines of proving him wrong - that no, I can continue my drinking just fine, thanks. As irrational as that sounds, it still didn't help. So moral of the story, it's best not to "help" someone by being the first person to tell them they have a drinking problem. There are just too many ways it can backfire. Unless, of course, this person is completely clueless and self-unaware.

On a related note which I'll post in "Media", did anyone see last sunday 17's episode of "Intervention"? It paralleled much of what I'm saying here.

Thanks for putting up with my long-windedness!

Chuck

• Like 3

Very thoughtful post, Chuck.  I don't think telling someone is of much help, whether it is telling them about AA or baclofen.   I went though this in the UK.  We would come across people who knew my wife from AA and on one occasion someone persuaded her to go to an AA meeting in a church which was just a couple of hundred yards down the road from us. 

Of course, they pointed out that she could not come to the meeting drunk, and by the time the meeting rolled around she wasn't just drunk, she was practically passing out so we got as far as the front door, someone who knew her came over and comforted her, and we went home.  We have a couple of copies of the big book.

Here's my thought on the subject.   There is a very nice discussion on Youtube by Dr. Leggio who is one of the first researchers to discover baclofen's efficacy.  Here is his video 

If you watch this it's hard to take issue with anything he says and it would be hard to be offended.  What he is saying is that for very serious alcoholics, baclofen is now a well recognized treatment.   

I think it is easier to take something like this and say to someone, "hey, you know there is now a treatment being used for liver patients".  Beyond that...  I suppose it depends on who you are talking to..  The problem I have is that it's such an odd thing to start up a conversation about a drug for something that still, today, "no one" thinks of as a medical problem.  Our forums and all we have done is making virtually no inroads into this problem outside France.  

If, however, Reckitt Benckiser, get a licence and put Arbaclofen in nice package on the shelves of drug stores, the whole world will change, overnight.  No one will argue with it.  That's just the way people are.  In some ways we are very sheep-like and sticking your head out and saying there is a medical cure for alcoholism, that your are taking it, so should they, is just too much for most people to take on.  You end up with them looking at you with a strange look on their face, at best.  It's a hard thing to open a conversation about. Most people I speak to about what I am doing in this field just crack some stupid joke and head off to the pub for a drink.  Generally I don't even bring it up.

• Like 4

Morning, y'all! I can't believe it's been several days since anyone's "Checked In"! What gives? 

@Otter I haven't watched the video, but will. I haven't heard of it before. Thank you for posting it! 

@StuckinLA How's it going?

@SKendall How's the gabapentin now? And what happened with your house? I miss checking in over on the Stepper's thread, but I barely have enough time to keep up here and do the stuff I have to do. How is everyone there? 

@Nicnak, I read a little bit about the gtt test. I'm actually in the middle of studying liver disease (hello, cirrhosis!) for the exam, and it doesn't look like the gtt is included in a regular blood panel here, either. Or perhaps I'm just missing it? Very likely, since I feel like there are gaping holes in my knowledge. *sigh*

@Chuck, Thanks for the thoughtful response. That is so infuriatingly passive-aggressive of your neighbor. And frankly, based on that action, he didn't quite grasp the very first tenet of AA-- Attraction rather than promotion. I think I would have punched him, or started leaving beer in front of his door. (Not really.) 

Funny-ish story about the last place we lived. There were 3 apartments in the building. We were on the first floor. The couple on the third floor really disliked the couple on the 2nd floor. For years I thought it was because the couple on the 2nd floor were gay men, and the couple on the third floor were both in the military and seemed very conservative. 

When Ed and I got sober, we realized for the first time that the couple on the second floor had frequent drunken knock-down, drag-out fights in the middle of the night. Really horrible stuff. Lots of screaming and crying and even some physical abuse. We'd lived under them for 3 years and had no idea because we were passing out drunk every night and sleeping through WW3. I was very conflicted by the situation, actually. If the couple had been a man and a woman, I would definitely have called the police. But because it was two men, I didn't. I still feel guilty about it. Abuse is abuse is abuse. I did start calling them when they started to argue. Eventually, they must have turned their phones off, because they stopped answering and continued to fight. 

All well in Ne-land. I'm excited that we have a new Holistic Health forum for people looking for information about adjunctive therapies to improve over all health and well being. I hope you guys will check it out and contribute if there's something you have found helpful in addition to the medications and other tools we use to get and stay contentedly sober. Check it out!

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/forum/201-holistic-health/

• Like 1

Ne

I have a friend on patient.info who has been very helpful on there to me and quite a few others.He has cirrhosis and he knows a lot about the system (he had to fight hard to get campral)

Hes the one who told me about gtt not being included in a standard liver function test.

• Like 2

I have mailed Dr Chick to keep him up to date with my progress although I don't get my script from him now as it's the same price as I can get it from Goldpharma because it was a private prescription and cost me a lot more than an NHS one 

• Like 3
21 hours ago, Nicnak said:

Ne

I have a friend on patient.info...

What's patient.info? Is it a resource that should be included in the links for more information on this forum? 

21 hours ago, Nicnak said:

And yes,must make an effort to check more often.We don't want this forum going the same way as MwO

I'm trying! Did I miss something? 

We have an amazing team to back this place up. It will never, ever, ever, become MWO. That I can promise you. 

• Like 2

I meant us posters need to keep on posting lol

patient.info is a uk based message board type forum on all things medical and there are lots of sub forums and one is to do with alcohol.

There are a lot of regular posters and although it's uk based there are quite a few us posters 

• Like 2
  • Admin1 unpinned this topic
  • Admin1 locked this topic