The End of my Addiction

Chrissy

Fresh

I've not had a drink for nearly a week after drinking solidly for 5 year, the last few days have been very hard but after being let down again and again by the alcohol support team I decided to o it myself. I'm now free of the alcohol and physically I'm getting there but emotionally I'm an absolute mess. Any advise please.

• Like 1

Hi Fresh

I think the way I got through the initial period was to concentrate on what I had gained by not drinking

It is a good idea imo to write these things down - My top comment was that I was able to put my kids to bed and read them a book - Soft I know but in the 10 years I had never done this - I would rather get the Pianna (the wife) to do it or they did it themselves while I drank wine - Looking back that still haunts the hell out of me

Sunday nights are always hard, work in the morning is always a "depressing" thought - Maybe get a box set out, Sky and Netflix were my saviour - There is always something there to waste a couple of hours until bed

It will get better, you need to break the habit that anxiety and boredom lead you - To drink - There are various ways to do this

Have you looked into help before, be it Medication, AA or your GP?

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

Thank you, yes I totally understand what you mean about being able to kiss the children at bed time, I've missed out in that so much. I don't want to use Meds as I've got though the dangerous bit, I just need to control the anxiety and depressed feeling. I don't miss the drinking it self in fact I didn't really like it, it's the numbing I crave. Waking up is hard because it's all so raw.

• Like 1

You might want to check into some L-Theanine for the anxiety. When it works, it's reported to work well. 

I spend a fair bit of time in the Alcohol Consumption forum at Patient.info, I've heard outfits like Addaction are often not too helpful. 

Is this your first go at abstinence?

• Like 2

Ive not heard of L-Theainne I'll look it up. 

Addaction re really unhelpful in fact I'd say they are more hinderence than help.

yes first time

• Like 1

Hi, Fresh and welcome to the forum!

The first few days and weeks are by far the hardest. I hope you're hanging in there.  

How are you doing now?