The End of my Addiction

Baclofen: Presentation of the results of several randomized clinical trials in Berlin 2016

Hi folks

On ISBRA ESBRA World Congress on Alcohol and Alcoholism, September 3rd, 16.45 - 18.15 will be presented the results of several randomized clinical trials:

• Chair: Reinout Wiers (NL)
  • Co-Chair: Wim van den Brink (NL)
  • Christian Müller (DE) Results from the German Baclad Clinical Trial and additional neuroimaging results
  • Philippe Jaury (FR) High dose baclofen for the treatment of alcohol drinkers (BACLOVILLE)
  • Esther Beraha (NL) Efficacy and safety of high-dose baclofen for the treatment of alcohol dependence: a multicentre, randomised, double-blind controlled trial
  • Michel Reynaud (FR) A randomized, double blind, placebo-controlled efficacy study of high-dose baclofen in alcohol dependent patients: the ‘ALPADIR’ study
  • Discussant: Kyriaki Nikolaou (UK)

DonQuixote

• Like 2

Thanks Don

Yes, the results of the French ALPADIR trial  - These will be interesting to note, especially for me (being abstinent) although I suspect a certain corner of this board will need some convincing due to the inclusion criteria

The afternoon of 3rd September looks particularly interesting - I considered taking the Pianna for a weekend break, until I saw the price!!

Regards

Bacman

21 hours ago, Baclofenman said:

Yes, the results of the French ALPADIR trial  - These will be interesting to note, especially for me (being abstinent) although I suspect a certain corner of this board will need some convincing due to the inclusion criteria

Hi Baclofenman

Hard to say either the results of ALPADIR or BACLOVILLE  will be more interesting. Anyhow these are the main differences in study designs:

• Maximal dosage BACLOVILLE: 300 mg / d
  • Maximal dosage ALPADIR: 180 mg / d
  • Much more exclusion criteria in ALPADIR than in BACLOVILLE.
  • Primary Outcome Measures BACLOVILLE: Proportion of abstainer patients and patients with a low risk consumption [ Time Frame: 12 months after the initiation of treatment ] Low risk consumption according to the criteria of WHO (World Health Organization). 
  • Primary Outcome Measures ALPADIR: Continuous abstinence rate in each group (baclofen or placebo) during 20 weeks of treatment, from Day 29 to Day 168. [ Time Frame: Day 168 ].

DonQuixote

Edited by DonQuixote

On 30/07/2016 at 7:30 PM, DonQuixote said:

Hi Baclofenman

Hard to say either the results of ALPADIR or BACLOVILLE  will be more interesting. Anyhow these are the main differences in study designs:

• Maximal dosage BACLOVILLE: 300 mg / d
  • Maximal dosage ALPADIR: 180 mg / d
  • Much more exclusion criteria in ALPADIR than in BACLOVILLE.
  • Primary Outcome Measures BACLOVILLE: Proportion of abstainer patients and patients with a low risk consumption [ Time Frame: 12 months after the initiation of treatment ] Low risk consumption according to the criteria of WHO (World Health Organization). 
  • Primary Outcome Measures ALPADIR: Continuous abstinence rate in each group (baclofen or placebo) during 20 weeks of treatment, from Day 29 to Day 168. [ Time Frame: Day 168 ].

DonQuixote

Thanks Don

I think the main difference, as far as I can see is that Bacloville is more "problem with alcohol" and Alpadir is more, your binge drinker - I am not sure what the difference is?

It will be interesting to see if they publish the FULL titration schedule 

Regards

Bacman

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I went to the Berlin conference specifically to attend the baclofen study session. I've posted my analysis of the studies presented on my website baclofentreatment.com. 

Here's the direct link: http://baclofentreatment.com/baclofen-study-results-from-berlin-in-detail/

The Bacloville trial was the clear winner for a multitude of reasons.  

Happy reading!

Amanda Stafford

• Like 3