The End of my Addiction

Right now I choose not to drink because...

I've got a new thing. I'm listing 5 positive reasons that I don't want to drink Right Now. We'll see how it goes... Just doing something, anything, and not just mindlessly opening up a beer because of the habit, makes me feel better. Sticking to positive reasons doesn't make me feel like a terrible person for wanting to drink or caving or whatever negative thing comes into my head and makes me crave even more. (I used to leave AA meetings and feel so badly about myself that I would buy beer on the way home and then have a reason for my self-loathing.) 

Today's list:

1. I want to be fierce. Fierce chicks aren't controlled by booze or anything else.

2. I'd rather eat lots of chocolate, without guilt. 

3. I'd have more money for...shoes. :) 

4. I love waking up early and getting out before it's too hot. 

5. I am much more focused when I don't drink at all

• Like 5
Baclofenman

Good Start

Next, I would look for a list to occupy the day and make sure you accomplish all the tasts

TIP: Start with an achievable list:

1. Clear Up the Yard

2. Cut the Grass/Wash the Car

3. Cook a nice dinner

4. Go for a Walk/Take Dog

5. STUDY

No 3 - Not sure of your routine, cooking for me always involved a bottle of wine for chefs inspiration - I cook without it now but this can be tricky, initially if cooking and drinking go hand in glove

And one I highly recommend - Start the box set of Breaking Bad

Regards

Bacman

• Like 4
Baclofenman
7 hours ago, Ne1 said:

2. I'd rather eat lots of chocolate, without guilt. 

Turning yourself into a ten tonne tessy, without alcohol may not help you self worth - I would probably smoke more, cut down on the chocolate BUT make a date, when the AL is under control to knock them on the head - I stopped drinking on 2nd January and come 2nd January, I am going to stop smoking - Until then I resemble the chimneys at a coal power station

Some of the people I most respect are feisty chicks, especially in commerce - I have worked in areas where woman are expected to make the tea and look pretty, which they do - But a lot of them have more to offer than this and deserve great respect

I have met this woman on several occasions and she is a very clever, articulate and impressive lady - But she would cut your bollocks off if you crossed her

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karren_Brady

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

i find battling my brain to why not to drink exhausting, when im not on baclofen, i just give up, go blank and head on auto pilot to the liquor store

now im going up in dose, i can delay my drinking, brazillian ju jitsu, weight training, gaming, helps push back how far late i drink, later the better, as i drink less this way. 

also the tv series stranger things is amazing, im binge watching this right now

• Like 3

Yes, start watching Breaking Bad. It's on Netflix. I guarantee you won't be able to think about anything else. I got withdrawal symptoms when I got to the end, & still haven't found anything ti rival it since.

I watched it in bed on my laptop, as it was winter & the sessions could go on for hours. There are still tea stains on my bedroom carpet where I spilt my drink at some of the more exciting moments.....

• Like 3
Mom2JTx3
9 hours ago, Molly78 said:

Yes, start watching Breaking Bad. It's on Netflix. I guarantee you won't be able to think about anything else. I got withdrawal symptoms when I got to the end, & still haven't found anything ti rival it since.

Breaking bad was awesome.  I also binge watched Chuck (because I'm a geek) and Dexter, especially the first few seasons. 

• Like 2

Great recommendations, peeps! Finished Breaking Bad already. I only watched part of it, because it stressed me out too much! I was definitely carrying Walt around with me on a regular basis. Without question it was the best show I've seen in...ever. 

We just finished watching Who's That Girl, which I loved SO MUCH. Tried Kimmy Schmidt and was sorely disappointed. (What happened Tina Fey?!?) We've been wandering around looking for the next thing for several days, without success. I didn't think I would want to watch Dexter, since it's about a serial killer, but I read the synopsis and he only kills people who are bad. I can handle that kind of violence! ;) (The more absurd the violence the more I like it. Especially when the bad guys get their comeuppance. So Schwarzenegger films are a yes, and Tarantino is a NO WAY. Though I loved Kill Bill, because I love it when women kick ass. Enough about my weird foibles...) 

I don't know about The Get Down. My husband insists he hates musicals, but I'll try him on it tonight and see if it works, because it looks great. We'll check the others out in due course. 

I have not been consistent about coming up with 5 positive reasons. I am going to print 'em out and put 'em on my bulletin board or maybe my bathroom mirror, so I can instill the habit. I agree @neophyte that it is incredibly hard to interrupt that train of thought once the craving kicks in and the need for escape escalates. I guess I'm trying to do it so I am at least mindful about drinking. No more going blank and ending up on autopilot... Supposedly. We'll see...