The End of my Addiction

Maintenance dose of Baclofen

Mom2JTx3

Is there a rule of thumb for a maintenance dose of Baclofen?  I thought I saw something about it being a percentage of your switch dose but I can't remember the percentage.  33% to 50% maybe?   Or do you just titrate down until you get cravings and then bump back up some?. If anyone speaks French, can we ask this on their forum? 

• Like 1

Hi Mom2 - Each individual's effective maintenance dose is going to be different. The recommendation I've seen most, including on the French forum, is to slowly titrate down until you feel cravings start to return, then increase enough to alleviate them. In my case, I stayed near my switch dose for a long time, and slowly titrated down over 6 years to the lowest dose that is effective for me, ~180mg/day.

-tk

• Like 3

my switch was 300mg, maintenance 225mg. I believe the ratio was pretty common from what ive seen anecdotally on mywayout forums over the years. though the longer you remain alcohol free the lower you can go on your maintenance dose, some people taper off completely and stay away from alcohol craving free

• Like 2

10 weeks isnt that long, i found it took 2-3 months for the side effects to completely go away as it is, i think i waited over a year, though i have no idea on the ideal wait time, but perhaps wait a few months.

• Like 2

In my experience, some "side effects" never go away. I have been on 140 mgs a day as a maintenance dose for at least 5 years and still have the following side effects: spaceyness, OCD issues and dehydration. I have long gotten over what I would call the "titration side effects," which would include sleep issues, dizziness and nausea.

Obviously the side effects I've mentioned haven't been anywhere close to being severe enough to stop baclofen. I can't even imagine how bad my life would get if I went back to my previous alcohol intake.

• Like 2

Indifferent at 320mg, the first time around. Didn't stay there very long at all. Went up and down. Finally settled in around 220mg/day for cessation of cravings, or as I like to think of it, alcoholism in remission. 

Don't know how long to stay on it. Not sure I would change things if everything was copacetic. Terryk has a really specific and generally the most positive experience of all of us, and he went down, as he said, very slowly over the course of many years. He was also self-aware enough that he knew cravings had returned. I'm not sure I knew that, when I was titrating down. I just kept drinking a little bit more week to week and month to month, until I was suddenly back in the pit trying to claw the way out again. *sigh*

• Like 1