The End of my Addiction
Sam808

Baclofen PDF Resources?

Sam808

This forum title is a little misleading.  I was hoping to find the PDF of the book "The End of My Addiction" by Dr Olivier Ameisen.  I tried buying the Kindle version on Amazon, but for some reason it's only available in the UK.  The US Amazon site only has the paperback version, not sure why...

So I did a lot of googling for the ebook version, but beware because there are many scam sites in the google results for this book!  Don't click on the weird or uncommon looking domain names, they could lead somewhere ungood.

My contribution to this forum is an excellent summary of the book I found from a neurology journal.  The summary was written by a surgeon who describes his own first-hand experience with alcohol addiction and his success with Dr. Ameisen's book.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/pnp.226/pdf

Hope this helps someone!

Felina

Hello Sam, and welcome to EOMA!

The forum name is not meant to be misleading in any way. From my understanding of the forum and its founders, they are coming from a place of inspiration from Dr. Ameisens's work.

I don't know anything about finding a PDF of Dr. Ameisen's book, but if you would like to read it, message me and I will mail you a hardcover copy. It's a great read. Dr. Ameisen is a hero of mine.

Thank you for the link.  I hope you don't take offense to what I will say next  Phillip Thomas, the author, is a very controversial figure in the baclofen community. He is known to advertise himself as an "advisor" for baclofen users. He charges huge amounts for his services. And he often pockets that money and refuses to follow through for many, many people--especially those from outside the UK, where he is based.  There have been reports of this here on EOMA in recent months. For that reason alone, I do not recommend that you follow him or give him any money or any credit for success on baclofen. Anyone who takes advantage of suffering alcoholics is an A-hole in my opinion. If you need any proof of this, I can send you many links showing people he's ripped off.

You can come here for free advice anytime, and the people here won't try to take your money. I hope you stick around! Feel free to post your story, ask advice, or PM us. 

• Like 3

Sam808

Great info Felina, thanks!  And what a great welcome from you too!

I really liked the story Phillip Thomas told, it sounded just like the dozens of stories I've read from other people on other sites.  But good to know that background on his business practices, I'll look elsewhere for baclofen info.

I just found out about baclofen today and the experiences of people I'm reading about sound so familiar.  I found this forum while looking for the book, but I see there is a lot of good info and active people here so I'll spend some time getting caught up.

Thanks for the offer of the book, you are obviously an excellent contributor here for people.  Before I read your post, I ordered it online so I hope I can contribute to the cause too!

• Like 2

Ne1

Hiya, Sam and welcome to EOMA!

i couldn't get the PDF you linked, but I concur with Felina, that if it is a book by Phill Thomas, you'll get more info from reading Dr. Ameisen's book and reading, posting and looking for info and support here. 

Last time I looked, a used copy of Dr. Ameisen's book was available for a couple of dollars on Amazon. But I also have several copies and would be happy to share. I do think there is access to a link you can download, I don't have it, but could find it and send it to you if you are anxious to get started reading! 

Also, if you want more information, about the research and information about baclofen, there are several pages (and pages and pages) here that are available for free. Also, Dr. Amanda Stafford has a really great new site about treating alcoholism with baclofen. Finally, you're more than welcome to reach out and we'll direct you toward information you might find useful. 

Hope you get the information you're looking for soon. Hang in there! 

• Like 2

Molly78

Welcome from me as well Sam.

I couldn't get the link either, but I guessed who it was about before Felina posted! I concur with Ne's comments about the author!

• Like 2

Molly78

Thanks, Bacman

He actually comes over quite well in that article, except under "Declaration of interests" it says "none declared" - then immediately below, it says he runs an alcohol & baclofen treatment centre! If that's not an interest, then I don't know what is.

• Like 1