The End of my Addiction

Rollcall--who's indifferent

Thought it would be a good idea to have a thread about who's indifferent because sometimes when I'm reading someone's post I'm not sure and it might help newbies who want advice and also ppl can put on here if they used to be indifferent because they will know what's what as well

so I'll start

Me,nicnak

Reached indifference after only about 4-6 weeks,can't quite remember now on June 27 this year which makes it 75 days today!

On 160mg

Edited by Nicnak
Forgot to add mg's
  • Like 4
Lostinspace

Congrats on 75 days AF and indifferent, Nicnak! I’m also indifferent. It took me over a year to get here (because I got stuck at the same dosage for long time and went about things the wrong way. Anyway . . .), but I reached indifference in September of 2015 at 360 mg. And holy crap! I just realized that I’ve been indifferent for a full year!

And if it's alright, I’ll just throw in what’s worked for me so far, as well (besides all the lifestyle changes I’ve made). I stayed at my high dose for about 10 months after reaching indifference - not the typical route, but I was too scared of losing my switch. I’ve since come down to 285 mg and I’m sitting here for a good, long while. Perhaps forever. I haven't decided yet. But I have decided that for now, I have no interest in continuing to titrate down to find my lowest maintenance dose because, again, I’m too scared of losing my switch. No one should feel the need to follow my “recipe” for success, I just don’t think I’ve shared this anywhere before, so I thought I would in case it might be helpful.

Edited by Lostinspace
  • Like 4

Achieved indifference around 140mg in October 2012 after starting in August 2012 with an intake of 6-8 beers a weekday and 10-12 on weekends. 

Achieved substantial behavioral control of drinking around June of 2013 (physical indifference and actual drinking behavior are separate and very different things that must be dealt with individually)

Used a maintenance dose of 50mg until October 2014, at which time I tapered off. Drinking was about 3 times a week at safe levels. 

Have been drinking at safe levels ever since, with spikes into isolated binges in times of stress. Because of drinking less frequently, the effects of hangovers are more pronounced and have led to even further infrequent drinking of 1-2 times a week. 

The feeling of indifference is definitely gone, but it was a tool necessary to get through the worst part and establish healthier behaviors that excluded drinking most nights of the week. I still have problems with depression/anxiety/ocd/ect that alcohol worsens when used, but it's no longer the singular problem derailing my life by any stretch. 

• Like 2

I became indifferent earlier this year and stayed that way for three months.  Then I experienced some major stress in my life and went back to drinking. I ramped up on Baclofen again and have have been indifferent for close to four months now.

• Like 1
Baclofenman

I am not sure when i reached indifference

I took my first 10mg tablet on 21st December 2015 as part of a 30mg a day for 5 days programme - 26th December, 40mg etc.....

I decided that I would stop drinking on 2nd January and I did, at 60mg a day - There is no doubt in my mind that without Baclofen, this would have been another one of my failed attempts, lasting a day at the most - I titrated up to 180mg a day and stayed here as I was happy that my first thought when coming home from work was for coffee rather than wine - After several months I tried to titrate down to 100mg (seemed like a nice round figure) but at 125mg, I found that my anxiety was starting to encroach on my thoughts again, so I went back to 150mg a day and despite the odd temptation to reduce, is where I have stayed since - My latest plan is to attain a year AF and reassess my intake

It should also be pointed out that in addition to Baclofen, I have changed my lifestyle - I (sort of) watch what I eat, I exercise 4 times a week, I spend a lot more time with hobbies and I certainly do not go anywhere near the public houses - I may be "indifferent" but I ain't taking no chances

I currently have no urge for AL to be my "reward" BUT I hate being around pissed people - Really hate it

Regards

Bacman

Great thread idea btw Nicnak

• Like 5

I just don't drink and not bothered. Sinclair Method users sort of get to a stage they call 'cured' where they can take alcohol or leave it, which I guess is the TSM equivalent of Baclofen indifference?I got to 'cure' point around the 6 months mark, drank socially/moderated for just short of 2 years then said sod it, I'm no longer interested in that.

Been AF over 3 years, still am!

• Like 1
On 9/10/2016 at 2:06 PM, fredson said:

(physical indifference and actual drinking behavior are separate and very different things that must be dealt with individually)

I agree entirely with that, Fredson.  Similar discussion ongoing on the Newbies forum on JMS's thread.

• Like 2
On 11/09/2016 at 7:27 PM, Molly78 said:

I agree entirely with that, Fredson.  Similar discussion ongoing on the Newbies forum on JMS's thread.

And snap, can be same with TSM - as if often say the pill won't stop you from putting the drink in, only you can do that.

1 hour ago, Nicnak said:

@Mom2JTx3

i can't find your post about the French Baclofen forum,it's just on my email notifications but it is very interesting 

@Nicnak start here: https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=en&ie=UTF8&nv=1&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://baclofene.com/

Scroll down the left side under 'to read', then 'after healing'. There are lots of interesting threads there, but start with 'descent short questionnaire OLCDB'.  That's what we refer to as HDB (high dose Baclofen) :) 

I ended up hiding my post since the direct link didn't work.  There was an even better thread but I'm not sure how I got there, and when I tried to bookmark the link, it just sent me to the main forum.  Something to do with the translation I guess.  

Have fun!  There is so much information there from many people who have titrated up on Baclofen and reached indifference.   

Edited by Mom2JTx3
Spelling
  • Like 1

Hey all- I am INDIFFERENT after 3.5 months on Baclofen! I hit my switch dose at 310mgs and today is day 4 at that dosage. I will stick with it for 90 days then titrate down. My goal was always to be able to drink like a "normal" person and I have achieved that! I can have 1-3 beers and just not want anymore! It's amazing to go to a restaurant, enjoy two beers then go home. This was not always the case for me. In the past if I had some beers at a restaurant I HAD to to stop at a store and buy a 12 pack on the ride home. This last weekend we went to Buffalo Wild Wings. I had two beers (couldn't finish the 2nd) and had absolutely ZERO cravings to drink anymore even though there were cold beers in my fridge at home. I feel awesome!

Huge Thank you to all the people on this forum for guiding me and helping me get to where I am now. I wish Baclofen would catch on here in the states because there are so many people suffering and putting themselves through countless AA meetings that aren't getting them anywhere!

• Like 4