The End of my Addiction

Polypharmacy

I'm a little concerned about some of the discussions and suggestions related to the treatment of alcoholism (or any other disease) with polypharmacy. I know that some of you have reservations about that approach to treatment, in general. I understand why and have tried to explain, using my own situation as an example, why polypharmacy is not only accepted practice for many treatments, but also may be absolutely necessary. 

My psychiatrist has done quite a bit of research, both about treating alcoholism, and the medications for alcoholism, since I began seeing her more than a year ago. She has read most of the research available here, about many of the medications, and has also talked to others and read information on her own. I wouldn't say she's an expert, yet. And I won't pretend that some of us know more than she does about it. We do! That said, I feel very comfortable trusting her judgment when it comes to the medications and supplements I take, which include, right now, both gabapentin and baclofen. (And a whole bevy of supplements, among other things.) 

I read on another thread that baclofen and gabapentin may potentiate each other. I'm not sure what that means, or where to find the information about it. It's my understanding that the two work well together. As do baclofen and naltrexone. Or naltrexone and gabapentin. If I missed some information, and am incorrect in these assumptions, which are based on creating and reading all of the information located in the Research sections of this forum, then I have much more work to do!  

I also have Major Depression. It is atypical for one medication to work for someone who has Major Depression. It is also unusual to find the correct medication(s) without trying and eliminating some, before finding a med, or a combo of meds, that work. 

Most importantly, though, I started this thread because I noticed on another thread that some people were suggesting that the original poster not follow the advice of the physician who was treating her. I am very, very uncomfortable with that, unless there is a strong reason, backed up by medical literature, to suggest that someone do something without talking to his or her physician. Especially if the person isn't drinking

Anyway, this is a fact finding mission, and I'm open to any and all discussion about polypharmacy, what has worked and what hasn't worked and whether or not it is truly unsafe or just makes us uncomfortable. 

Thanks, peeps. 

xx

Bacman has posted a number of links in the thread you are referring to that suggest that the SEs are worse if you take both together - but if you don't have any uncomfortable SE then there's no problem.

Can you point me to the thread where people are telling someone not to follow the advice of the person treating them - is it the same one as the gab/bac discussion - if so, I don't think gradually reducing a drug that might be causing you to feel bad is particularly controversial, unless her doctor has specifically told her not to.

Baclofenman

Polypharmacy is the use of 4 or more medications at one time

From the very little I have read about the practice of polypharmacy;

There are benefits and disadvantages I would expect

It is a good tool when medications interact well with each other and not such a good tool when the medications do not interact well with each other (Obviously) - So, we are back to the medication interaction question

Potentiate, means to increase the potential of - In the context of the way I used it, it was that Gabapentin appeared in the case referred to, to increase the Baclofen toxicity, which in English means poison, in that too much of the drug (Baclofen) gets into the bloodstream, causing ill effects 

In fairness there is little comment (I have found to date) of this interaction to treat AUD and most of this is not very positive

Regards,

Bacman