The End of my Addiction

Anyone NOT been successful with Baclofen?

Stot

i everyone, I have been doing lots of research on Baclofen and its use for the treatment of alcoholism. So far much of the research, both scientific and anecdotal, seems to indicate that it is a very effective treatment. Has anybody on this forum tried it, in either high or low doses, and found that it was unsuccessful? I am interested in this as both a dysfunctional drinker and health care professional. ?

Did you try high dose? I got my prescription today and am so hoping that it will work. Can you offer any insight into why it may not have worked for you or just your general experience?  I'm feeling very positive about trying it but I also want to get a balanced view as to what to expect. ?

Edited by Stot

I have not taken bac in several years. Stopped due to side effects (debilitating leg pain, and the somnolence interfered with work because I do a lot of reading professionally and it put me right out as soon as I opened a book), and also stopped because I was not prepared to stop drinking. Baclofen did do what it is supposed to do, though. At 240mg I was indifferent to alcohol, and even at lower doses while titrating up my drinking was remarkably limited - loss of interest in a glass in front of me, would take an hour or more to finish even one drink.

Have had multiple periods of abstinence since, in the 1 or 2 month range. One 7 month period, and currently am somewhere between 6-7 weeks AF. And whether true or not, I credit my experience with baclofen for the ability to be abstinent. It kind of forced me to see what a day without booze would be like. Of course, there's been a lot of drunken shitshow in the last couple years, too, so take that for what it's worth.

Overall my impression is that it works for many, many people.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Stot said:

Did you try high dose? I got my prescription today and am so hoping that it will work. Can you offer any insight into why it may not have worked for you or just your general experience?  I'm feeling very positive about trying it but I also want to get a balanced view as to what to expect. ?

Hi Stot - Welcome

I am a success story

However in my experience of Baclofen, there are several factors when judging success and failure

A few things I would bring to your table;

1) - Follow the the Titration scale as put forward in:

In plenty of the anecdotal evidence I have read, side effects can be exaggerated by over and under dosing, titrating or tapering too quickly - There is a temptation to dose up too quickly in the need to see progression - I followed this to the letter - Alcoholics, by their very nature are unreliable patients - My limited side effects reduced with time - At indifference? - Regret, even my obsessive note taking behaviour failed to record this, however I think it was about this time

2) - What other medications is the subject on? - Some medications are known to react with Baclofen, they can potentiate the effects of the medication or Baclofen itself - Multiple medications can effect some and not others

3) - Psychiatric comorbidities are something to be especially careful about when using Baclofen

4) - It is my opinion that Baclofen works differently between AUD and MS, so the anecdotal and scientific evidence needs to be read accordingly

For me, the target was abstinence, this is not the opinion of all Baclofen users - Even OA was known to have alcohol on occasions  - I believe abstinence should be the target of every Baclofen user, however when sobriety is attained, the target can be reassessed 

For what it is worth, the maximum dosage I consumed was 180mg a day, split over 6 intake instances which best fitted in with MY understanding of how half live works - I know of people who have gone much higher and who only take their medication once or twice a day

Regards

Bacman

• Like 2

Yes I tried high dose. The side effects were for me horrendous, and intolerable. I was rendered zombie like, and also had a lot of very weird thoughts.

I went to see Dr Chick for his opinion, I'd also heard about TSM. When Dr C told me that he didn't think baclofen was suited to me, I asked him to prescribe naltrexone as per TSM so I could give that a go. Took to that like a duck to water, it broke my addiction and allowed me to start learning how to live again. Eventually I quit entirely, I've been AF for well over 3 years now.

• Like 3

Hi- I think there are lots of member on here that it has worked for.  Have you read The End of My Addiction by Dr. Ameisen? It's a wonderful book and as a healthcare professional you should definitely read it.

I think you will find here that there are lot's of people that Baclofen has/does work for! I know in many US and studies abroad they used doses that were two low to be truly effective. I just spoke to a Doctor in Minneapolis that said that he tried but never went above 150mgs per day. From most people on here I've communicated their switch came between 180-310 (correct me if I'm wrong here).

Just so you know, I am now indifferent. My "switch" dose was/is 310mgs per day. Of course, nothing works for everybody. I did read online though that Baclofen (even in high doses) only works on about 80% of the population.  Those are still great odds seeing as AA has about an 8-10% success rate.

I think the side effects can scare many people off- and for good reason. There will of course be those that have terrible side-effects and can't reach doses needed to reach indifference. I believe the key is following the dosing guidelines and taking it slow. I think going up 10mgs every 3-5 days is reasonable. For me- every time I went up I had SE's that lasted 2-3 days. However, these all go away and once you hit your "switch" (for me anyway) there are no SE's to speak of.

• Like 3

It worked for my wife who was prescribed by Dr Chick. She has had some relapses after reducing her dosage but she is able to stop drinking again by increasing the dosage.  It treats anxiety based drinking so for those who do not have any anxiety conditions in their history, it may not work.   The French trial results show it worked for 60 percent of the participants and there are about 30,000 people using it in France under prescription from doctors.

Over the years there have been a huge number of people reporting on MWO that it worked and many people on this forum have used it with varying degrees of success, many achieving sobriety.

Edited by Otter
  • Like 1

No luck here. Tired multiple times. A few things to say though. I did go up rathe quick and drank all the way up. Theres no I could have worked a job. I was a zombie. I got up to 270 and called it a day. I had every SE imaginable. You name it I had it.

Maybe some say I'd like to give it another go (especially now goldpharma are selling to UK customers again but I'd have to do it in baby steps. Under the care of a professional is the way to if your lucky enough to get that.

Edited by Flyer1210
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Flyer1210 said:

No luck here. Tired multiple times. A few things to say though. I did go up rathe quick and drank all the way up. Theres no I could have worked a job. I was a zombie. I got up to 270 and called it a day. I had every SE imaginable. You name it I had it.

Maybe some say I'd like to give it another go (especially now goldpharma are selling to UK customers again but I'd have to do it in baby steps. Under the care of a professional is the way to if your lucky enough to get that.

Although there were holes in it, I heard something in a radio article this week which suggest many people can't tolerate high dose, yet there are those who are insensitive and require the high dose. As someone who did feel the side effects very keenly, that made a lot of sense and was reassuring for me. Previously there have been many times I've wondered if I just wasn't tough enough. In the end I have gotten to point where alcohol no longer holds any influence in my life - so that's good enough for me although I do struggle with anxiety and have issues with food which are almost identical to the alcoholism. That struggle may not be there if I'd been able to tolerate Baclofen, but breaking the alcohol addiction has allowed me to massively improve my life.

Edited by phoenix
  • Like 2

Yeah phoenix it's horses for courses I suppose. Believe I tried so had with baclofen. I've been recreational drug user all my adult life and can handle most stuff but this just knocked me for six.

In hindsight I probably went up too much but I'm 99% sure that no matter how some folks go up be it super slow they just won't tolerate it. Not drinking is key but hey, if it was only that easy. Going a few days without booze for most of us is hard going.

I'm really happy for you that you found your way with TSM. I'm gonna try and have a break form booze for a few weeks and get back on the nal when I feel the cravings getting too bad. I was on a all day black out/ wake up and drink cycle/ rinse and repeat kind of binge this week. im just really run down. What I noticed about TSM was that it totally killed my ability to drink beer. I was just fucking disgusting so the last week when I went off the nal I was drinking cider. Bit like when your young and cider is the go to drink here in the UK as it's easier to get down.

I know in my heart of hearts TSM will work for me. Maybe not magically making me indifferent but stoping the benders.

The last few weeks before I had my blimp I was going on hikes near a mountain I live on the foot of and was just thinking to myself... Fuck life's OK you know with a smile. Ever get that?

I'm an easy pleased kind of guy. I've got the t shirt when it comes to partying and am glad I'm still here to be honest. I just want a quite life from here on in.

I'm 40 now and to be honest in my 20s or even up into my 30s if I'm honest I hadn't gotten it all out of my system.

Fuck me my posts go off on all sort dog weird directions don't they?

• Like 2