The End of my Addiction

What dose did you find to be effective?

NewEra

If you care to share, what dose did you find to be effective? I'm reading Amesien's book right now and I'm about half way through.  He went up to 270 and then dropped to 120.  Did you all find you needed to go extremely high and then drop or did you reach your "switch" and then just maintain?  Any info would be appreciated.

Original switch was 250mg.  I was there for about three months.   I then went through a period of high stress and started drinking again.  I went up to 310 and have been here for about four months.  I think I read on the French forum that the average switch dose is 160 -170?  I believe it's the amount you drank and the length of time you drank that most impacts the amount.  

• Like 2

I went up to 360 mg, stayed at that dose for about a year, then slowly dropped to 285 mg, which is my current dose. However, it’s pretty unusual to have to go this high. As Mom said, it’s the amount that you were drinking prior to starting bac, as well as how long you’ve been abusing alcohol that generally determines how high you’ll have to go. I was drinking a liter and a half of vodka a day prior to starting bac and had been drinking for 20 years, so I had to go higher in dose than most. We’ve had members here who have reached their switch at doses as low as 80 mg. It’s really very individual. Try, if you can, not to worry about how high you’ll have to go. The freedom from bac is so indescribably amazing that, regardless of what dose you end up needing, high or low, it’s completely worth it.

• Like 2

On October 2, 2016 at 11:59 PM, Mom2JTx3 said:

Original switch was 250mg.  I was there for about three months.   I then went through a period of high stress and started drinking again.  I went up to 310 and have been here for about four months.  I think I read on the French forum that the average switch dose is 160 -170?  I believe it's the amount you drank and the length of time you drank that most impacts the amount.  

I was drinking the equivalent of 4 bottles (one box) of 13.5% wine every day.  That's 40 units.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nicnak said:

I was drinking up to but not always 21 bottles of white wine a week,12.5 -13.5% vol so about 190 units a week 

Switch 160mg

10 hours ago, Baclofenman said:

I was drinking (generally) 18 bottles of white wine a week 

Switch 180mg

7 hours ago, Mom2JTx3 said:

I was drinking the equivalent of 4 bottles (one box) of 13.5% wine every day.  That's 40 units.

Switch (circa) 250mg

Thanks girls

Mom, I can't add up, I have changed mine to 18 - 4 bottles a night is pretty staggering

Rather straw poll-ish but even on a very small section is starting to show a trend of Baclofen mg intake to reach indifference/Previous alcohol intake correlation 

Come on people, keep them coming

Regards

Bacman

• Like 1

This is tough for me to determine as I am a binge drinker.  The amount I consume daily even within the binge varies significantly.

At the beginning of the binge, I consume about 18 beers a day.  This is about 250 grams.  Towards the end I cannot consume as much.  It gets to the point over about a week and a half where I literally become unable to consume or I will puke it up so it varies.

Im currently at 150 mg and do not crave most of the day but would not say I am indifferent.  If I see someone pouring a drink etc, I desire it.  I am in search of a doc who will take me higher and am considering ordering overseas as I have not hit my switch.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like 2

I drank 1-2 bottles of wine per day for 10+ years and am currently at 110mg and although I haven't had a drink in 5weeks+, I would not say I'm completely indifferent.  Been fantasizing about   a drink so I"m going up to 120 this week.

• Like 5

I was drinking one & a half to two bottles of wine a day - say  110-120 UK units a week.

Now, at 150 mg bac I can drink within current UK guidelines (for what they are worth!) which are 14 units a week.

• Like 3

I drank 3/4-1 1/2 bottles of wine a day. If I had vodka in the house I'd drink lots--I don't really know how much. My switch was at 80 mgs. My doctor wouldn't go higher and I white knuckled it for a bit. My maintenance dose was 40-50 mgs. I've been off baclofen for a year or longer and I am able to make a choice as to if I'll drink or not. 

I still find it best to not keep alcohol in my house. I also have interests that I can't do if I'm hungover. That's added incentive. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a few years, but I started noticing a change in my drinking early on in my titration - certainly before I hit 100 mgs/day. I reached indifference at 190 mgs/day.

During the 3-4 years before indifference, I had managed to reduce my drinking to eight or so beers a day. But for many years before that I drank a 12-pack every night. At my worst, during a 24/7 free-fall, I was drinking a case of beer or more per day, occasionally bumped up with vodka or Sambuca. God, that was an awful time.

• Like 1