The End of my Addiction

The Secret History of Thoughts--anybody relate?

Ne1

I've posted this podcast in a couple of places. But I really want someone else(s) to listen to it and tell me what they think. I mean, can you relate? It's called The Secret History of Thoughts.

It's about thoughts. It's also, in a sideways way, therapy and the growth and development of it. First was Freud and all thoughts were related to the family dynamic and sex and yadda yadda. Then CBT. Each thought needs examination and acceptance or dismissal or explanation. Then (now) there's this whole thing about dismissing thoughts. Our thoughts aren't real unless we give them the reality. 

I don't think that's a very good explanation, actually, and of course there's a story line. 

It kind of reminds me of the discussion started elsewhere about Aspberger's syndrome. I just wonder if some of the conclusions they discuss in the podcast are things that we have in common. And OCD of thoughts, for instance. 

http://www.npr.org/programs/invisibilia/375927143/the-secret-history-of-thoughts

Anybody?

Also, was there some kind of test or something that you guys were referring to when you had the discussion about Aspberger's? Had a long conversation with a friend about it and now I want more info...

Thanks for the link. I'm not on the spectrum. What's interesting to think about, though, is it is totally based on self-perception, which people with autism (or on the spectrum) are not very good at. 

I mean, I notice car license plates, but a lot of that has to do with playing the License Plate Game when we went on car trips when I was a kid. 

"I tend to have very strong interests, which I get upset about if I can't pursue." Um, yeah. Definitely! But I think that has more to do with the fact that I'm a bit controlling, (no comments, bacman. ha! ;)) and I like stuff done my way. And that I don't like it when people (my husband) tries to get in the way of whatever it is that I'm passionate about. (Or fixated on, depending on how you see it.)

But that's a symptom of ADD, and OCD, too. Answering that question is way too subjective. I mean, I answered it "Strongly Agree" until I thought about this guy I know who has Asperberger's, and oy vey. He's very high functioning, and of course he's brilliant (literally probably genius IQ), but when I compare us, it's VERY clear that when I think about "get upset if I can't pursue" I am way over estimating my upset-ness, compared to what would happen if things in his life were not Just So. 

For a while I thought I might have some sort of autism after hearing an interview with a guy who figured out, with the help of his wife, in middle-age that he was on the spectrum after taking one of these online quiz thingys. He had to have the same coffee cup every day. So do I. Lots of other quirks I related to. Then I realized that I will actually drink out of a different cup if mine's dirty. He couldn't. It would fuck up his whole day. 

Anyway, interesting stuff. Now who is going to listen to my damn podcast???? <sigh>

2 hours ago, Nicnak said:

I don't now believe I am in the spectrum which I did for a while but now I realise I'm just very OCD,I over think EVERYTHING

Please, please, please listen to the damn podcast, Nic. It is SO relevant. And it's entertaining! 

@Ne1,I listened to it and yes it's relevant.I get the kill my wife thing haha.

When I'm having a conversation with someone it's like the conversation is secondary to what I'm thinking.Cant explain it well but I know what I mean.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2016 at 8:48 PM, Nicnak said:

@Ne1,I listened to it and yes it's relevant.I get the kill my wife thing haha.

When I'm having a conversation with someone it's like the conversation is secondary to what I'm thinking.Cant explain it well but I know what I mean.

You listened? Yipppeeee! 

I thought about the podcast last night when I was in bed obsessing about my comments in conversations I'd had at a gallery opening. I realized it was just the merry-go-round and I needed to stop the thoughts, because they weren't real. 

• Like 1